Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl or Aldi in Dublin 2 and 4

Options
  • 01-05-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've lived in Dublin for a few years now and it still suprises me that there is no Aldi or Lidl in Dublin 2 or 4. Before anyone makes a point of it, not everyone there has the money to shop wherever they want:) Besides, some of the food Aldi and Lidl sell is fantastic!

I tried looking through the Dublin City planning applications website but the search is awkwardly designed or else my brain's gone AWOL as I couldn't find any planning applications from the two German companies.

Does anyone know if there are plans for any new Aldis or Lidls planned for Dublin 2, 4 or indeed Dublin 6 or 1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aldi and Lidl are opposite each other on Lower Rathmines Road, D6.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/store_locator.htm?WT.z_src=main
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/6415.htm

They intend to have about 300 stores each here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Hey everyone,

I've lived in Dublin for a few years now and it still suprises me that there is no Aldi or Lidl in Dublin 2 or 4. Before anyone makes a point of it, not everyone there has the money to shop wherever they want:) Besides, some of the food Aldi and Lidl sell is fantastic!

I tried looking through the Dublin City planning applications website but the search is awkwardly designed or else my brain's gone AWOL as I couldn't find any planning applications from the two German companies.

Does anyone know if there are plans for any new Aldis or Lidls planned for Dublin 2, 4 or indeed Dublin 6 or 1?

Aldi and Lidl are both in Dublin 1, on Moore street and Parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I know of those two and yes I have come across the store search tools;) I was wondering if there were any plans for any aldi or lidl in Dublin 2 or 4, or if there would be a new aldi in Dublin 1 or 6. Rathmines and Parnell St. are both well out of the way where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Lidl wanted to open on College Green but it was rejected. I assume given they had interest that they are still pursuing a location in Dublin 2.

Oh ffs. An Taisce at it again. I've heard some very dubious reasons for their objections to various plans in the past, but that takes the proverbial.

College Green would have been very useful for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

A Lidl was meant to open in Fleet Street in the old ESB offices but it didn't happen. It wont now as a Tesco took the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Id love to see an Aldi or Lidl to open up a huge store right in the middle of Ballsbridge or on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Aldi's planning applications are quite often made in the name of the contracter, so it could be hidden in there somewhere. Apparently, emails sent to head office in Ireland with a suggestion of a suitable site are usually taken quite seriously. Give it a go - nothing to lose!

number10a wrote: »
    Aldi's planning applications are quite often made in the name of the contracter, so it could be hidden in there somewhere. Apparently, emails sent to head office in Ireland with a suggestion of a suitable site are usually taken quite seriously. Give it a go - nothing to lose!
    Way ahead of you;)

Advertisement