Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC HL Maths predictions

• 01-05-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

With the exams only 38 or so days away (:eek:) does anyone have any predictions as to what might come up on the LC maths paper? Proofs-wise and probable question types.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Volume of a sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Maybe for once a question that requires you to think... last time I saw one of these was the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

show area of circle is pi r2 using integration
    never been asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

The circle proof & curve sketching in differentiation, seems how it didn't come up last year for the first time in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jdivision91

does anybody feel the higher maths papers may be easier this year in comparison to others?? :D some teachers are floating with this idea and id like to hear your opinion on it?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd say harder to match the 'new syllabus' effect on the project maths pilot schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Maybe for once a question that requires you to think... last time I saw one of these was the 90s.

Did a '98 exam paper the other day. It has NOTHING on recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Predictions here from a teacher called Pat Lee! Most of them look ok and also he seems good he got alot right last year!

http://www.mathsireland.com/Pred_2011.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

does anybody feel the higher maths papers may be easier this year in comparison to others?? :D some teachers are floating with this idea and id like to hear your opinion on it?? :D

Personnaly I think it will. They can't have some students getting easier points that's unfair so unless they make project maths harder which obviously not going to happen they will have to make our paper easier! But that said it will be the same standard as last year as some students were doing p.m. Last year as well!

I know that some people say they will make the original course paper harder to make the p.m. Look better........ But there wouldn't be many people happy if they did that and it is unfair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harpofrosty

What I've heard is that it should be a fairly easy paper with lots of recycled questions! Especially things like matrices that won't be there next year! they're not going to get creative and complex if the paper can't even be used next year!

HOPEFULLY!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jdivision91

What I've heard is that it should be a fairly easy paper with lots of recycled questions! Especially things like matrices that won't be there next year! they're not going to get creative and complex if the paper can't even be used next year!

how i hope your right! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've heard from a certain well known IOE teacher that this year's HL Maths paper will be more difficult than last year's paper for two reasons.

1. It's the last year of the syllabus
    2. Last year's paper was easier than normal
    they're not going to get creative and complex if the paper can't even be used next year!
    The papers are never used again once the exam is over anyway. It's no different this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Top students tend to prefer harder papers anyway - if the paper is easy, the marking scheme can become quite strict to try and keep the amount of A, B, C, Ds etc. consistent. Therefore top students can lose heavy marks for small mistakes, and not-so-top students can do quite well. Whereas if the paper is difficult, the top students will shine and get the A easier - or at least that's the theory behind it according to my maths teacher last year.

There was one year (can't remember where it was) that a lot of students were answering one question particularly well, it was to do with the perpendicular distance formula, and if you forgot the absolute value (modulus) signs you were deduced 7 marks (or more accurately: you got a maximum of 3/10 marks) - I know the modulus is important for the concept of distance, but hardly worth penalising 7 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

^ Although I have no sources I agree with this. It's no harder/easier to make a lightly more difficult paper than a slightly easier paper.

Advertisement