Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between these 2 sticks of RAM?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The second one has a higher clock speed on the RAM stick, which leave more headroom for overclocking if you're thinking of doing that.

Either way, performancewise there isnt much of a difference. You can mix and match them too, so whatever you have in there currently is compatible with the new RAM too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You should try and find out exactly what type of RAM you have right now, and pick a stick with the same specs. Putting in sticks with mismatched speeds and timings can cause problems.

You can use the scanner from the crucial site to find out what you already have installed:
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

deconduo wrote: »
    You should try and find out exactly what type of RAM you have right now, and pick a stick with the same specs. Putting in sticks with mismatched speeds and timings can cause problems.

You can use the scanner from the crucial site to find out what you already have installed:
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Definitely match your speeds and timings to whatever you have in there, I've seen all sorts of problems in laptops with mismatched timings (most 1066 sticks tend to be CL7, while 1333 tend to be CL9 )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Definitely match your speeds and timings to whatever you have in there, I've seen all sorts of problems in laptops with mismatched timings (most 1066 sticks tend to be CL7, while 1333 tend to be CL9 )
    Unfortunatly I ordered the second module, while the one installed already is the first! :(

What types of problems can arise now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you can set the timings manually from the BIOS you will be fine. However as its a laptop I would assume the BIOS is locked.

Theres no harm in just trying to module you have to see if it works though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I did the scan on crucial and both those 2GB sticks came up for compatible RAM sticks though!
    Says over them: Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your ThinkPad SL510 Series

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't think there'll be an issue back in sodimm DDR and DDR2 days it might have been an issue, DDR3 is fine. Been working with laptops and DDR3 since the day it came out, never had problems

Advertisement