Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miles to go before I sleep..

Options
  • 01-05-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Well here goes my training log for the madness that will be my first year of serious running.

I started running two years ago having never done much exercise at all in my whole life. I won't lie, I hated it at first, I couldn't conceive why I was torturing myself like this apart fromt he fact I wanted to lose a bit of weight, when that was done I would never run again.

As I am sure those of you who do run will know the running addiction eventually kicked in and here I am after many training miles and few half hearted races under my belt I have decided that this is what I love doing and I think I am quite good at it too, I actually crave being out on the road and I want to do far more than I am now.

Soooo now I am training for the Dublin race series and the DCM. DCM has been my goal for the past year but the series fitted in nicely with my training schedule and I certainly won't be trying to set any PB's at those races just easing myself in.

No major time goals for DCM either, getting across the finish line will be good :D sub 4.30 will be terrific:cool:

Currently getting over an awful chest infection, giving myself today and tomorrow to completely recover and then back out on the roads from Tuesday:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Good luck with log and goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Don't forget to check in on the marathon novices mentored thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 runvia

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Raycun I just noticed that thread will go have a look now :D

First run out after recovering from my chest infection and it felt good.

2 miles easy pace on a fairly hilly course. Legs felt strong and lungs did well until the final 500m where they really started to complain but I know that will ease out.

I am waiting on my replacement dock for my Garmin so can't check the exact time, HR etc but I know I fiinished quicker than I started which is always a good thing :D

Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 22 mins
    Pace: 11 min/mile

• Advertisement

I was planning a slow warm up mile, followed by a 10k pace mile and then a slow cool down mile.

My lungs however reminded me that they are not ready to keep up with the rest of my body yet and were going to do their own thing!

The first mile and a half was great. I picked up the pace after the first mile and was going good. Then half a mile in and my lung started screaming at me to stop and my legs at me to go, go, go :eek:

I ended up have to to slow jog/walk for half a mile to get my lungs going again, but my legs were not liking the slow pace at all.

The last mile I slowly picked back up the pace as my lungs recovered and got back into working order and I flew in the last half mile finishing strong. Again I am still awaiting my garmin dock for splits but overall was happy with the time considering I had to slow it right down to a walk at one point.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 32 mins
    Pace: 10:37 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome to the logs and good luck with the training for the race series and DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

best of luck

Thank you both Shazkea and centre back :)

A far better run today despite the fact I decided on a different route which led to some serious hills very early on which did mess around with the fact I was going to be taking this easy.

I handled the hills well though and although I did feel a little uncomfortable breathing wise after the first hill, it soon eased out and was good for the rest of the run.

The weather conditions were awful, it started raining heavily and the wind picked up, I also got chased by three dogs on route but I had a great time :D

Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 21 mins 45 sec
    Pace: 10:49 min/mile

• Advertisement

Yes I know 3 miles is not a long run but as this day will usually be for my LSR when the mileage starts picking up, it was good practice for getting the slow pace right.

It was very cloudy today and very warm and humid, worst weather to be running in, but a good breeze kicked up which helped keep me cool. The route I have chosen to stick to from now on is a mixture of short hills and flat, gives me a good mix to get used to without killing me either.

I started off really slow and settled into a good slow pace. I did find it really hard to run at a consistently slow pace to begin with but once my legs had adjusted I really enjoyed it. My lungs were in great form today and I had no issues with them at all.

Great run and I felt good and strong at the end which is a good sign for when I do have further to go.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 33 min 30 sec
    Pace: 11:10 min/mins

Advertisement