Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me with a book list please?

• 01-05-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am planning on returning to do the Leaving Cert in 2013. My goal is to get back into studying part time over the next 2 years & hopefully move on to college afterwards.

Is there anyone who can recommend text books/revision books for the following subjects?

I'm also looking for input on the subjects - I have chosen them as I have an interest in them & am hoping they are all straight forward exams (& oral/aural) and no projects are involved, am I right?

I will be aiming for HL in all but may change down if the going gets tough:
    English
    Irish
    German
    Economics - have this book but it's very old, is there any source of more recent events?
    Business

Would love any advice, comments and recommendations...I would love to get my hands on any of the books so I can make a start.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Are you only doin 5 subjects or are you doing Maths aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NokTok

As I can combine LC results from different years, I've decided to keep my original maths result & redo the rest for a better result (also in HL). 5 subjects is more than enough for me over 2 years part time - hopefully not too much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

you do realise that you can't add on the points you got for maths with your other subjects points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

NokTok wrote: »
    As I can combine LC results from different years, I've decided to keep my original maths result & redo the rest for a better result (also in HL). 5 subjects is more than enough for me over 2 years part time - hopefully not too much though!
    afraid to say that you cant combine LC results from other years anymore..... so you may want to pick up another subject, and that will probably have to be maths for entry requirements to college and you might also want to enquire in local secondary schools about sitting your exams as an external candiate, but you dont really need to do that until dec/jan of exam year, hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

irelandfan wrote: »
    you do realise that you can't add on the points you got for maths with your other subjects points.
    you got there just before me ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys but I'm hoping to get into teaching as a mature student, for which points are not a requirement but 3 HL C3's including Irish & 3 other OL D3's are. Current entry requirements state that I can combine results from different years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I am planning on returning to do the Leaving Cert in 2013. My goal is to get back into studying part time over the next 2 years & hopefully move on to college afterwards.

Is there anyone who can recommend text books/revision books for the following subjects?

I'm also looking for input on the subjects - I have chosen them as I have an interest in them & am hoping they are all straight forward exams (& oral/aural) and no projects are involved, am I right?

English
    Irish
    German
    Economics - have this book but it's very old, is there any source of more recent events?
    Business

Would love any advice, comments and recommendations...I would love to get my hands on any of the books so I can make a start.

Thanks in advance!

For english your going to need the 2013 poetry book anyway along with whatever single texts you intend on studying alongwith the comparative . Tony Lakes Key note books are very useful for Shakespeere and poetry .

For business the book we use is The Business World by Enda Connolly ( Mentor ) . It has all the info that you need in it , and for business you do really need to know everything .
    Best of luck :D

Thanks for the info Malachyscott.

Will Poetry Focus for 2013 do it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Thanks for the info Malachyscott.

Will Poetry Focus for 2013 do it?

Yeah thats the one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

For english your going to need the 2013 poetry book anyway along with whatever single texts you intend on studying alongwith the comparative . Tony Lakes Key note books are very useful for Shakespeere and poetry .

For business the book we use is The Business World by Enda Connolly ( Mentor ) . It has all the info that you need in it , and for business you do really need to know everything .
    Best of luck :D

Poetry Focus is a very good, concise poetry book which is also co-written by the chief advising examiner for HL English...it has sample paragraphs for each poem that shows A, B and C standard paragraphs with examiners comments along with a full essay graded with PCLM and comments IMHO. But the key notes book is very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

What do you mean, like recent figures/analysis?

http://www.cso.ie/

:)

Thanks whistlin boy, I can't see a Tony Lakes Key note book for 2013 online so maybe it's not out yet..will pick that up when I see it.

Is there any text book for english or just the single texts/film to study?

HxGH wrote: »
    What do you mean, like recent figures/analysis?

http://www.cso.ie/

I suppose I was just wondering whether there had been a text book released since the 2002 one I have. It would just be a tad more interesting if all the graphs weren't so out of date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I suppose I was just wondering whether there had been a text book released since the 2002 one I have. It would just be a tad more interesting if all the graphs weren't so out of date!

We were told to buy Understanding Economics by Richard Delaney.
    I think we've used it about 20 times just for different questions. I'll try use it a bit more now. Only a few more weeks till the exams... :(

So what are you all using for HL Irish & German? I presume these books don't change every year - or do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks guys but I'm hoping to get into teaching as a mature student, for which points are not a requirement but 3 HL C3's including Irish & 3 other OL D3's are. Current entry requirements state that I can combine results from different years.

That's still 6 subjects though.

The entry requirements are on the prospectus I'm guessing? The requirement would still be either the entry requirements from one year, with the points from another year or vice versa..

You'd still need the 6 subjects? You can't combine 5 from one year with 1 from the past year like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

English
    Irish
    German
    Business

Thanks in advance!
    I'm in 5th year and i'll try and help with your books!
    I don't do German so I can't comment on that however!
    English Poetry Focus is good, and Key Notes is a Must!
    Irish Fiúntas is the book we have, it's okish.. Not sure if there's any other books available for it!
    Business Global Business- John O'Connor is quite good, get Less Stress More Success by John F. O'Sullivan
    Economics Understanding Economics by Richard Delaney, get the exam papers from the start of 5th year also Rapid Revision by Michael Ruane is fantastic! If you need to find all the latest economic statisticts www.cso.ie is a good site!

Best of luck with all your exams! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    That's still 6 subjects though.

The entry requirements are on the prospectus I'm guessing? The requirement would still be either the entry requirements from one year, with the points from another year or vice versa..

You'd still need the 6 subjects? You can't combine 5 from one year with 1 from the past year like?

I think what NokTok is getting at is that he/she is going to use the grade requirements from this LC and his previous results. Mature student entry is not based on points in the CAO, it's based on interview which I assume is his main focus for entry to college.

However like has been mentioned here it would be wise to take a sixth subject so your points can be counted from this sitting of the LC as a fall back if your mature student application is not successful. At least then you can still get an offer from the CAO the normal way.

PictureFrame, thanks a million for the info :)

rainbowtrout, you're right there and yes it would probably give me more of a chance of getting a place if I could apply in the normal way too.

Originally, I was only going to resit 4 subjects to meet the academic requirements and (hopefully) get in on the basis of my interview & fluency in irish. However, I am fluent in German so thought I could throw that one in too & it would (a) look good on the cv and (b) hopefully guarantee me one of my C3's in a HL subject.

I'm really not sure that I would have enough time to do maths on top of the other subjects as it would only be part time study at night so I'm a bit thrown off now.

Noel2k9, yes I can combine different years results....I might even do 3 subjects in 2012 and 2 in 2013 - I could also do this like ;)

PictureFrame, thanks a million for the info :)

rainbowtrout, you're right there and yes it would probably give me more of a chance of getting a place if I could apply in the normal way too.

Originally, I was only going to resit 4 subjects to meet the academic requirements and (hopefully) get in on the basis of my interview & fluency in irish. However, I am fluent in German so thought I could throw that one in too & it would (a) look good on the cv and (b) hopefully guarantee me one of my C3's in a HL subject.

I'm really not sure that I would have enough time to do maths on top of the other subjects as it would only be part time study at night so I'm a bit thrown off now.

Noel2k9, yes I can combine different years results....I might even do 3 subjects in 2012 and 2 in 2013 - I could also do this like ;)

I don't know anything about the workload in the subject but would it be worth taking Accounting as a 6th subject as you are planning to do the other two business subjects or is it something you would have any interest in?

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be any point I'm afraid - maths is a required subject so I'd still be combining results!

There wouldn't be any point I'm afraid - maths is a required subject so I'd still be combining results!

Yes, but I was looking at it from a points angle. You can still use your maths grade from your first LC, but if you did a 6th subject this time round you would have points from six subjects and still be able to use your maths grade to meet requirements should mature student entry not work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I don't know anything about the workload in the subject but would it be worth taking Accounting as a 6th subject as you are planning to do the other two business subjects or is it something you would have any interest in?
    I wouldn't recommened Accounting at all. I've done the 3 Business Subjects for quite a while (and then gave up Accounting) and I have to say (in my opinion) it is a disgusting subject! So mucch time and precision is required in order to do the Accounts. Also if you get a bad teacher they'll just do the Account on the board and that'll be a whole class over (some personal experience of accounting).

In my opinion if you plan on taking Business & Economics you should take a look at Geography. A good bit of it overlaps (the elective, regional etc) I don't know how you would manage your project though!.

rainbowtrout, I get you, thanks for the idea....more for me to think about!

PictureFrame, there is a procedure for getting projects signed off in whatever school you sit the LC so that wouldn't be a problem. I did Geography the first time around (there was no project then though so I'd be clueless there!). Might be more inclined to do Biology or Physics...

I'm going to check with the college tomorrow & see what they think but I suspect that you guys are on the right track....just really not sure about doing the whole thing in the limited time I have. Without a course. Or teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

rainbowtrout, I get you, thanks for the idea....more for me to think about!

PictureFrame, there is a procedure for getting projects signed off in whatever school you sit the LC so that wouldn't be a problem. I did Geography the first time around (there was no project then though so I'd be clueless there!). Might be more inclined to do Biology or Physics...

I'm going to check with the college tomorrow & see what they think but I suspect that you guys are on the right track....just really not sure about doing the whole thing in the limited time I have. Without a course. Or teacher!

Wouldn't advise Biology if you're going to be doing it by yourself! It's one of the longest courses in the leaving cert, some classes struggle to get it all covered in the two year period!

If you're thinking of a science, take a look at agricultural science!

Advertisement