Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lennox chipper , disappointment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

i thought one thread was enough on this already we have some serious fast food junkies in cork :D

not enough room in one thread apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are there no Italian chippers in Cork?

I'm not aware of any in the city, but there's a few outside. There's one in Bandon, and Wimpy in Fermoy is also owned by an Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

a few people have mentioned KC 's as the best chipper and to be honest i have never heard of it .looked at some reviews online and it seems very highly rated ,so i am off to try this place next month oh and what is a creole and what should i order

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Creole is a deep friend pitta bread (Only for a second or two), stuffed with cajun chicken pieces, a few chips, lettuce and mayo. It's disgustingly delicious.

I also recommend their Bombay, which is chopped chicken with indian spices, covered in batter and deep fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

a few people have mentioned KC 's as the best chipper and to be honest i have never heard of it .looked at some reviews online and it seems very highly rated ,so i am off to try this place next month oh and what is a creole and what should i order
    The Creole is the most boring thing they serve. Get yourself a Polynesian.

• Advertisement

Creole is a deep friend pitta bread (Only for a second or two), stuffed with cajun chicken pieces, a few chips, lettuce and mayo. It's disgustingly delicious.

I also recommend their Bombay, which is chopped chicken with indian spices, covered in batter and deep fried.
    the bombay sounds lovely , think i will get that ,hope its not a wasted journey this time

Kold wrote: »
    The Creole is the most boring thing they serve. Get yourself a Polynesian.
    whats that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

So all my life i have heard how lovely the food taste in lennox chipper , barrack st .Drove all the way there and we are talking thirty miles ,what a dissappointment the burgers were not nice and the chips average How could this average chipper have such a good reputation

I find lennoxs' a good chipper, not amazing though.

I find the chips are usually very good although i have experienced brief spells of average quality grub ie; chips not cooked properly or over-cooked, sometimes their curry is riddled with way too much raw apple which i find unpleasant in taste & texture. I usually go for the basic combos such as chips & batter sausage or chips & breast in a bun which is a decent burger, not far off Hillbillies standard & thats a big compliment really. You can't go far wrong with a basic curry chip as well.

I wouldn't touch the burgers in there but then again i wouldn't go near chipper burgers in general as you really are asking for trouble eating one in the first place. I don't bother with the fish any more as i have got fish there before & found it quite poor, greasy or coated in too much batter. This may not be the case now but. I have tasted their chicken nuggets & although expensive they are very high quality & delicious.

8 times out of 10 you'll get a nice feed in lennys, certainly a better feed than you'd get in Dinos thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

i thought one thread was enough on this already we have some serious fast food junkies in cork :D
    So all my life i have heard how lovely the food taste in lennox chipper , barrack st .Drove all the way there and we are talking thirty miles ,what a dissappointment the burgers were not nice and the chips average How could this average chipper have such a good reputation

Driving 30 miles for some chipper food I'm inclined to agree with Outkast! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

the bombay sounds lovely , think i will get that ,hope its not a wasted journey this time

They are very nice. Maybe a bit small, so if you're very hungry you might want to get two. They're only €1.45 each. You can get them in a pitta bread as well. It's not on the menu but it's on a poster inside there. It's called a Bombshell. It's a bombay crushed up with chutney, lettuce & chips I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Lennox's chips are where they shine, but you have to get them at a really busy time, or an extremely slow time. When they're busy they're cycling through the chips fast enough that they're always fresh. When they're slow they put chips on for each order (plus you get loads more.)

I've found the quality of their deep fried battered stuff has gone down seriously in the past seven years. When I was in first year in UCC their battered sausages were top notch. Now they're almost always overbattered, and the batter goes hard and tough. I don't know why because their garlic mushrooms are delicious and they're battered as well. Their burgers have never been great, and I've never had the chicken. Fish is usually good.

Lennox's should really only be for their chips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Buceph wrote: »

Lennox's should really only be for their chips

I think this applies to a lot of chippers out there today and the only reason I can see for this is that a good chipper will buy the spuds and prepare them their own way.
    When you start doing meat products things can get tricky as price may mean the quality will suffer. The only exception for this may be fish if local fish can be sourced daily but I reckon that's a rarity these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Theres Mimmos in cobh but thats gone down hill in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

dudara wrote: »
    For a good nearby alternative, try Barties up in Ballyphehane. I think there's also a Barties up at the top of Ballyhooley Road also.

The one thing I miss since I moved to Dublin are good Cork chips.

Have to agree with Barties - their chips are unreal.

My perfect take away would be Barties chips, KC's double cheeseburger and Dino's curry sauce.

I never really got the Lennox's thing. Its a balls to get to and find (legal) parking, burgers are ordinary and the chips are grand. I wouldnt be going out of my way to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

No clue, fish there is supposed to be great, but I hate fish. I love KC's, the Creole, Meat Patties and Bombays are fantastic there, but their chips have gone downhill recently too.

How recent is recent? In general you can expect the quality of any chipper preparing fresh chips to suffer at this time of year. The standard will get worse until the first crop of new potatoes is in.
    IWhen you start doing meat products things can get tricky as price may mean the quality will suffer.

This can apply to chips too. At this time of year the price of quality potatoes goes way up. This year it's compouded by the crap harvest on the continent. The last I heard, spuds were 5 times the price per tonne in Germany than they are here. There's a lot less potatoes on the market here than usual.

Kold wrote: »
    Chippers in England are miles better.

Not in my experience. From living there and recent visits they all seemed to have a quantity over quality approach.

wrt Lennox's - I've only eaten there twice and found them pretty poor tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Golden Fry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Mimmo's isn't great at all. There's one in Mahon that's quite nice, begins with a B I think?
    Not in my experience. From living there and recent visits they all seemed to have a quantity over quality approach.

I miss my Pakistani chipper in England :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lennoxs has taken a dive in recent years. Gte the odd nice one, occassionally, but thats it. Dinos is far better at this stage.

Tasty Snacks in Churchfield is about the best I know nowadays

gimmick wrote: »
    Lennoxs has taken a dive in recent years. Gte the odd nice one, occassionally, but thats it. Dinos is far better at this stage.

Can't speak for any other Dinos but the one in Bishopstown across from the outpost bar is a miserable place in my opinion. Meager portions of chips that are usually very average in quality. A few months ago i got a large order from them & upon tucking into my chips at home quickly discovered they were very undercooked. Took the lot back & demanded a fresh order. Wouldn't bother with them again.

They're a stingy bunch. A large chips in Dinos is the same size as a regular chips in lennoxs & the latter do a better chip in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Roma Grill - Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Golden Fry

+1
    The food is gorgeous.Got chicken pieces there 1 day which came with potato pie and a rasher.Best in cork I reckon.

Interior decor is unusual to say the least as the owner is very fond of her religious images.And whats with the wall paper?Suppose it draws them in from across the road after mass.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Lennoxs (Barracks St) is disgusting! :mad: Been there twice and had an awful experience both times! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

kingtut wrote: »
    Lennoxs (Barracks St) is disgusting! :mad: Been there twice and had an awful experience both times! :mad:

as with any chipper that is *supposed* to be good.

Daegerty wrote: »
    as with any chipper that is *supposed* to be good.

Ah no, only with Lennoxs I really have no clue why you always seem to think I moan about all chippers :rolleyes:

Of all the other chippers I have been to I deemed them worth going again, that being said there are a lot I have not experienced as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Can't speak for any other Dinos but the one in Bishopstown across from the outpost bar is a miserable place in my opinion.

Turners Cross and Blackpool are quite nice. Shame it has become more "family restuarant" in Blackpool though. The portions have reduced a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

barties have really improved recently. i got a chips cheese and garlic from there last week and it was superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

kingtut wrote: »
    Ah no, only with Lennoxs I really have no clue why you always seem to think I moan about all chippers :rolleyes:

Of all the other chippers I have been to I deemed them worth going again, that being said there are a lot I have not experienced as of yet.

No its just that I noticed any place that people keep raving about how great the chips are, the chips actually turn out to be sh1te

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72045856#post72045856

No shortage of sh1te chippers around the place either.

Daegerty wrote: »
    No its just that I noticed any place that people keep raving about how great the chips are, the chips actually turn out to be sh1te

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72045856#post72045856

No shortage of sh1te chippers around the place either.

Ah sorry I thought you were having a go at me :o

oops yes the places people say are good are usually the ones to avoid....maybe the reason being that most people only have them late at night when they need a bit of 'soakage' and their taste buds are already destroyed ?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Shame it has become more "family restuarant" in Blackpool though. The portions have reduced a fair bit.

Its the same with the one in bishopstown. They've turned in into a sort of Mcdonalds/BK style restaurant.

Advertisement