Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver Strand

Options
  • 01-05-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Was here today, the far side of Mweelrea. Really annoying to see quad bikes and motor cross bikes tearing around the beach and the sand dunes. There is a sign leading to the beach saying no vehicles. I assume the gate is supposed to be locked but it appears that the gate had been busted open. These guys have no shame. Apart from the damage they were doing to the dunes the noise pollution was savage and it wasn't very safe for other beach users who had to be careful when walking out towards the sea. I wonder if Mayo Co Co know this is going on. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Not the first complaint i'v heard about this. Soooo much work has gone into the restoration of the dunes around Mayo over the past few years, it's unnecessarily wreckless. You'd think they'd have more sense than to do it in the mid afternoon though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If noted again phone Gardai, also National Parks and Wildlife Service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They don't give a fiddlers, the horses going through the dunes on a weekly basis in Bertra beach.
    Been reported a few times but no one gives a sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've details of car regs and photos. I can email them to someone. Who? Mayo coco? The motorcyclist was only a young lad and his 'lift', a guy with a big white van, was smart enough to park in the car park so as not to be identified as being with the sand dune wreckers :mad: They could do with a proper lock on that gate as what was there before was obviously ****e.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

By any chance was one them blonde/red haired? White van in bertra today with a number up and down the dunes on buggies.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    By any chance was one them blonde/red haired? White van in bertra today with a number up and down the dunes on buggies.

Hard to say as helmets were worn, but the van bringing the scambler bike was big and white. Fits the bill of most vans in the county so! I've emailed Mayo coco so I'll see if I get a follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

There are a group of bikers there nearly every weekend. I didn't think it was illegal? Granted the dunes should not be trespassed. They show no regard for other users.

There are a group of bikers there nearly every weekend. I didn't think it was illegal? Granted the dunes should not be trespassed. They show no regard for other users.

Theres a no vehicles sign leading to the gate and the gate has been tampered with so the bolt is ineffective. I can't see how its legal. I was in touch with Mayo coco and they asked for and were given photos so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Advertisement