Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homework Clubs

• 01-05-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Next year I (hopefully) will be in the first year of my teaching degree. Whilst it will be Construction and Tech Drawing teaching we have a week of primary school experience in our first year. I am well in with the current principal of my old primary school as I have done a lot of previous work for her in the school.

My question is would it be a reasonable request to start a homework club in the primary school and commit to it on a regular basis? Not only would this give the kids a great help with their work but also perhaps it would look good on a CV, i don't know? Is it reasonable to just walk in and suggest it to the principal?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Think you need to research it first, insurance, where it will be held, how many people to supervise, hours, cost per child etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the above, plus what time would you be finished each day in college? How many days a week would you commit to it? Four? Will your course keep you busy with assignments? Will the school have to have an employee on site as well as yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Not be be the bearer of bad news but being a former student of that course I can 99% guarantee you that you will not have time for that. (Although I did finish 4 years ago)

The Construction course as opposed to a lot of others has almost full days the entire week (I think I remember first and 2nd year being over 30 hours a week). I remember not being finished until 6 o'clock min of 2 or 3 days a week INCLUDING FRIDAYS, this does not include the heavy amount of course work you will get. Plus your timetable will change twice a year so you will not know in September if you can commit to those times after Christmas. This will def. not be a runner more than one or two days a week as the timetable will not allow for it.

I would say a better option if you are genuinely interested in doing that sort of work (as opposed to just doing it for the CV) is to join a group in UL like St. Vincent De Paul. They run (or at least they did when I was a member in UL) homework clubs in the city and also do other activities with kids from areas in the city. I found it very rewarding and interesting to do and also you are able to commit to times you know you are available. Although saying that I was very restricted with the activities I was able to do due to such a full timetable.

All of the above is presuming things have not changed much in the last 4 years. I imagine they have not.

Advertisement