Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

needs your plant ideas for a border?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

hi all
    i have dug out an area for a new border. the area runs 20 foot along a concrete fence and the depth of the border is 8 foot. the soil is alkaline and pretty good quality. it is south facing and sheltered becuase to the left of the border there is a timber fence.
    double doors look out on to this border too

i'm looking for ideas of what to plant and i would love if posters posted their 'must-haves' in a border

currently, the only things i have in mind are...a photinia and a phormium for height at the back. i love lavender too and maybe some ornamental grasses. i will also plant some herbaceous perennials, i love dahlias and rudbeckia
    i also want to plant bulbs in the autumn for daffodils and tulips for next spring. i plan on putting a seating area nearby so would love ideas for pretty and fragrant plants/shrubs
    looking forward to your ideas!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ooh, a sunny, sheltered, freshly dug border. Yum. You could put a few Physocarpus opulifolius 'diablo' at the back (tall and dark), with some blues in front, Verbena bonariensis etc., and campanulas at the front. The dark leaves set off pinks nicely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thats a nice size border!
    So you are looking for "succession" planting

Theres some good plans here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/

If you can find it, this is a great book
    succession-planting-for-adventurous-gardeners by Christopher Lloyd

more ideas here

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-design/Plants-and-planting-schemes/Part-2--colour

The only advice I would give is to plant the plants you and your family like and the colours that you like

Dont worry about failures and keep a photo record.

A border evolves and will probably change a lot over years, as certain plants dont grow in the same way you expect, or you change your mind

Plant in drifts, 3's and 5's

Oh and you might get some ideas at this years Bloom Show

Good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're in dublin, several visits to the botanic gardens over the next few months would be worthwhile, if they have their borders planted up as normal. should give you a few ideas.

would you consider a couple of trees to add height? a birch or two would be nice, while not casting deep shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i can't wait to get planting!

Advertisement