Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Macklin fighting for a world title in Germany

Options
  • 01-05-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I wondered does anyone here follow the career of Macklin who has strong ties to Tipperary (especially Ballingarry)?

Well he's fighting for a world title in Germany against the Germany champion Felix Sturm.

226605_162828343778524_100001540776116_388855_1192332_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Doesn't he claim to have played hurling for Ballingarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

tippspur wrote: »

Not sure about that but I know he used to play for Warwickshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Haven't heard of him before, but I'd say his chances of winning against Felix Sturm are very slim, I've seen most of Sturm's fights and he's damn good.

Will definitely be watching the fight though and will be cheering for matthew

Apanachi wrote: »
    Haven't heard of him before, but I'd say his chances of winning against Felix Sturm are very slim, I've seen most of Sturm's fights and he's damn good.

Will definitely be watching the fight though and will be cheering for matthew

yeah you are right. there was a press conference in Germany last week and Sturm looks twice his size

228667_10150208136968728_226000308727_6892815_5186045_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Sturm is probably a deserved favourite alright. Bookies go 9/4 macklin 1/3 sturm

Macklin is pretty good , ive seen a lot of his fights . Funnily enough his last performance was probably his most laboured but he was rumoured to be recovering from a bad cold which would certainly have impededed him.

It will be difficult to get a result in germany but I reckon he will give him plenty to think about and it wouldnt overly surprise me if we are hailing a new champion very soon

• Advertisement

Thats right Spur, He is said to have played for Tipp u16s or whatever also and is meant to be good friends with Eoin Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I think Macklin was telling a few porkies. He never played for Tipp. Put his name in here and no results come up: http://www.tippgaaarchives.com/?page_id=14 ( A great resource)

I read the same about Kelly alright. not sure how true that is though. I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Apparently Macklin stayed in Ballingary each summer and played a bit with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭QuinnC88

Matthew Macklin is also a talented hurling player in his own right and represented Tipperary, in hurling, at all age levels up to Under 21 at Inter County level. Macklin is still a close friend of leading hurler Eoin Kelly and attends hurling events such as the Poc Fada and other GAA events when Tipperary are involved. With Boxing however, he is not taking anything for granted but he is keen to replicate his UK form for an Irish audience.
    http://www.thurles.info/2009/11/29/tipperary-boxer-macklin-confident-of-middleweight-outcome/

Have followed Macklin last couple of years, decent enough boxer and deserves his shot, will be a tough fight as Sturm is very good fighter with a touch of class, but he's not going in there without a chance, would be great if he done the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

QuinnC88 wrote: »
    http://www.thurles.info/2009/11/29/tipperary-boxer-macklin-confident-of-middleweight-outcome/

Have followed Macklin last couple of years, decent enough boxer and deserves his shot, will be a tough fight as Sturm is very good fighter with a touch of class, but he's not going in there without a chance, would be great if he done the business!
    His PR consultant trying to get him Irish fans I reckon.

He may have represented South Tipp at Garda cup/Peader Cummins level but there's no way he hurled Tipp if he's not on that website link I posted.

Kelly is married to a girl from Ballingary (and Ballingary is only around the corner from Mullinahone) as far as I know so he may well be friends with him.

I would have to agree with Looder on this,I'd say Macklins Hurling history is a bit exaggerated to say the least.Best of luck to him in the Boxing match anyway.

• Advertisement

I would have to agree with Looder on this,I'd say Macklins Hurling history is a bit exaggerated to say the least.Best of luck to him in the Boxing match anyway.

Just thinking he might want to get a good round of 'Tipp Tipp Tipp' going in Germany :D

Macklin getting down to the last few days of training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sgBNz5zc5I

Down to the last couple of days now before the fight and the hype machine over in Germany is going a little silly. Sturm is a real big deal over there.

Here is a backstage snap of some promo shots.

Let me know if you want me to and i will post some other stuff in the lead up to the fight, if not I'll let the thread slide. thanks.

261860_10150218108284302_45104949301_7398835_1846806_n.jpg

Ah shur keep us informed until the fight is over anyway.

we were at the weigh in yesterday at the Mercedes Benz center in Cologne. Nice spot!

load of other videos on that YT channel as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Viffu1IZ0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

267343_177146332346725_100001540776116_479832_7681813_n.jpg

This fight is on sky sports 2 now,macklin just ahead at the moment.

Hard luck to Macklin,lost on a split decision.great fight though,a credit to both boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Good fight, i had macklin ahead i thought he had done enough to get the decision. Great performance from him

Hard luck and fair play to Matthew. Great from both lads and fair play to Sturm for offering the rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

He should offer him a rematch,every pro fighter incl Lennox Lewis and David Haye tweeted straight after the fight that Macklin was robbed and Sturms next opponents manager said it was one of the worst home town decisions he ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I thought that he did offer a rematch.
    By coincidence I was listening to the head German boxing reporter on Saturday and he said that it was almost a foregone conclusion that Macklin would not win unless he was obviously streets ahead.
    I thought that Macklin was brilliant and if the fight had ended after 2 minutes of the final round he might have actually pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

He immediatly said he would fight Macklin again,but in the cold light of day it will be the promoters who will decide who he fights and if Macklin is not box office enough for them,he wont,and if they think their pot of gold(Sturm)is going to get beaten and not be around for another purse it would make them Macklin shy.German tv had Macklin 3 rounds ahead.

Advertisement