Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best option for a single mother

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Monife wrote: »
    Going off the above posters topic of rent but I would seriously suggest you enquire about some college courses.

As you are a single parent, you would be entitled to back to education allowance and a a maintenance grant.

Now I am a couple of years out of college, but when I was in college, another girl, well woman (28) was in my course and she was a single mother. She received the back to education allowance (just over €200 I think) and a "special circumstances" maintenance grant. I too received a maintenance grant of about €365 per month, but the above girl received double this, around €780 a month because of her "special circumstances" as being a single mother.

As I said though, I am a couple of years out of college, and the above might have changed slightly but it is definitely worth looking into. You should contact your local citizens information centre and ask to make an appointment.

Yes this is out of date you can't get a maintenance grant if you get BTEA although the grant system could still pay registration fees - they don't pay the actual grant part - OP just to let you know as well if you do go for college some of them have reaches or subsidies the cost

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes this is out of date you can't get a maintenance grant if you get BTEA although the grant system could still pay registration fees - they don't pay the actual grant part - OP just to let you know as well if you do go for college some of them have reaches or subsidies the cost

Oh no, well my post is irrelevant then. Sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Monife wrote: »
    Oh no, well my post is irrelevant then. Sorry OP.

It's not irrelevant just something to consider

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smileychelle

When taking up employment you can earn up to €146.50 and qualify for one parent family Payment, please note, even though your payment would not be affected you will need to notify the social welfare department of your new income.
    You will also need to notify the Community welfare office as your rent supplement will change, it will be assessed on your addition income, for example if you earned €100 you will pay an extra €18.75,(see below for calculation).
    Things to take into consideration when seeking employment when receiving a social welfare payment are, Social welfare payment, rent allowance, childcare costs, travel expenses, lunch.
    Example
    For Rent supplement, the first €75 of additional income is disregarded.
    Addition income over €75 is disregarded at 25% of its value.
    -€75 disregard
    €25 @25%
    €6.25
    +€75
    €81.25
    -€100
    €18.75 New additional rent supplement on extra earnings of €100

Advertisement