Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Medals

Options
  • 01-05-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Here are a couple of unofficial Federation medals I have. They are issued by the Communist-run Congress of Peoples Deputies and as such are not recognised as official government awards.

The first is the 80th Anniversary of the KGB medal, showing the portrait of Polish Revolutionary Felix Dzerzhinsky, founder of the Cheka and forerunner of the KGB (now FSB).

The text on the rear reads "Honor of the Soviet People".

DSC01789.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

Next is the Official Centenary Medal celebrating the 100th Birthday of Marshal Zhukov.

Zhukov was one of the Marshall's of the Soviet Union commanding the Battle of Berlin.

DSC01792.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

Finally to close this series, the medal awarded to veterans that participated in the Battle of Berlin. This medal is of course official (unlike the previous two).

DSC01797.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

I never have had interest of unofficial awards but I must admit, these looks nice.

Are you into Soviet awards as well?

"For the Capture of Berlin" («За взятие Берлина») is nice one. Established 9th June 1945 and awarded around 1,100,000 medals.

Regards,

Timo

Here is one of my favorite: Order of Aleksandr Nevski. One of the best designed Soviet awards I think!

Also because these are numbered, possible to let the research get done on archives (no results if KGB). Award below is numbered 42268 and belonged to the Captain Boris Grigorevits Bitman. Served in Red Army 1933-1935 and 1941- 1945. He was infantry battalion commander in the 1st Ukraine Front, 13th Army, 230 Rifle Division.

18222417d0ee76_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I normally would not be into unofficial awards either but these kind of fell my way. I am interested in Soviet awards, I have the Defense of Stalingrad medal, the Soviet WW2 Victory in Europe medal also, and an Order for the Patriotic War, 2nd Class, albeit the 40th anniversary jubilee edition.

That Nevski Order is very beautiful, I had seen it on sale before but it was very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Some of the Russian awards are nice. I had pretty nice collection of these before I stop collecting WW2 stuff....

Order of Glory 2nd and 3rd class
    Order of Pariotic War 1st and 2nd class (war period and 1980 jubilee issue)
    Order of Red Banner
    Order of Red Star(s)
    Order of Nevsky

Medal for Bravery (as well older type with the square red ribbon)
    Medal for Valour (as well olde type with he square red ribbon)

and of course different campaign awards, jubilee, etc stuff.

They are nice to collect but again same story as WW2 German stuff - over priced and very good quality fakes are floating around! Meantime some how higher prices are understadanble over period of time - it is against the law to bring them out now from Russia. Also there is a lot wealty collectors, who buy good stuff back, regardles the price labels. So, international market has less items, to "play with".:cool:

Regards,

Timo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The fakes are what stopped me collecting. Being a student again stopped me going back to it. Don't have anything particularly fancy. Was trying to collect from the cheapest upwards.

Advertisement