Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek episodes which just make you switch

Options
  • 01-05-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I have one type in mind, the random time shift episode where the character is going forwards and back in time. Saw the one recently with O Brien time shifting and also about 5 seconds of the Voyager one with Kess doing much the same thing. I think it worked only with AGT because the whole context and set up was different. The reason I dislike such episodes are that they rely on technobabble for the time shifts and the plots are generally boring and irrelevant, ie they have to prevent some future disaster or solve the problem of their time shifting and I just don't care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You're talking about Wesley Crushers Law of annoying TV. Basically If Wesley Crusher is in the intro, it usually means it will be a wesley crusher-centric episode, which means you should turn off the telly.

Other people who qualify for said rule, are Botswana(luxwana) Troy, Neelix, Q(I hate Q), Alexander, children in general, Reg, and Bajoran religious figures.

Time shifts I dont mind so much, but <insert character> goes home to visit the old folks episodes annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Actually, I think this thread should be re-titled trek fatigue. I think I've watched too much trek for too long. As much as DS9 is critically praised and as much as its commendable that it went in a different direction, I sometimes feel that its still a bit stuffy...like the uniforms they're wearing just seem out of place in this frontiership of space, and with the dominion war, I dunno but I feel that everything should have looked grungier and bulkier than normal, like you could have had the characters wearing battered armoured suits and photon torpedos being hauled on huge gas emitting vehicles with the station fallling apart and a rise in crime among the station populace. And Odos uniform was a mega fail, he just wore an earth tone jumpsuit, if he's the head of station security he should have looked more imposing. I find DS9 to not have much rewatchability value although the Sisko writer episodes were pretty good and the whole dominion war arc first time round was alright. Voy is just sh1t and even stuffier. Enterprise I'll commend for having a little bit more energy even if it was frequently stupid but TNG and the original series seem to be the most rewatchable and entertaining, I can never get sick of TOS and TNG, while having some booorrrinng episodes had some ultimate classics like Time Squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

There is one episode of TNG that does my head in.

Its one of the early episodes where the enterprise has to combine a world populated by the clones of 5 people with a world of "fiddle-de-dee" irish farmers from the 1900's.

It makes me cringe anytime I see it.

That was a riot, Fairhaven on the other hand was out and out racism. I hate Voyager, one wasn't enough the bastards had to make another one, just to shove their racist views in the viewers face again! And it was Janeways fault as she was a xenophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

syklops wrote: »
    ...Reg...

Wha? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Any episode where they tried to do a 'romantic' storyline but one that involved an alien or one off character. Cringey from start to finish. There was a Voyager episode with Chakotay and some blonde bird that was especially bad.

Any episode that featured Fairhaven

That Kes time travel episode was fairly bad

Any episode with Naomi Wildman.... irritating little know-it-all brat

Wha? ;)

What's the wink for? Do you know who I mean?

Clue: it rhymes with dwight schultz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Any of the clip shows. Anything with Troi's Mother, or Alexander, or Jake. Anything with Sisko (I must pro-noun-ce ev-ery syll-ab-le per-fec-tly). Any of the early TNG episodes where Picard was shouty and over-acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Sisko with hair always seems outta place.
    I think in gereral the first season in each franchise contain the weakest episodes.
    VOY & TNG stand out with some absolute stinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Any episode with Naomi Wildman.... irritating little know-it-all brat

You need to add some 'oomph' to your post, here you go..

timetoswitchthetvoff.jpg

So annoying..

Anything with Neelix as the main character, or Kes going through a phase in her interminable alien lifecycle.

• Advertisement

Fairhaven on the other hand was out and out racism.

I had forgotten about them episodes - God they were awful. When I saw it first, I was half expecting to see a leprechaun to jump out of somewhere with a pot of gold for the crew :rolleyes:

Also, episodes that had Naomi Wildman or Wesley Crusher as the main character should be banned. Them 2 characters were almost like clones of one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Amalgam wrote: »

timetoswitchthetvoff.jpg

So annoying..

Anything with Neelix as the main character, or Kes going through a phase in her interminable alien lifecycle.

Cheers for that <
    sarcasm ;)

Amalgam wrote: »

/me takes out picture.

So annoying..

Ah here, your making me want to switch off this thread. Down with this sort of thing.

Looks like im not the only one who dislikes wesley crusher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Any of the clip shows. Anything with Troi's Mother, or Alexander, or Jake. Anything with Sisko (I must pro-noun-ce ev-ery syll-ab-le per-fec-tly). Any of the early TNG episodes where Picard was shouty and over-acting.

Really? I thought Picard the asshole rather than Picard the paternalistic figure was much more entertaining. He was so cantankerous in the early episodes that he was legendary. He just told it like it was, no bs, just straight to the point with added grouchiness. Who can forget shut up Wesley?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Really? I thought Picard the asshole rather than Picard the paternalistic figure was much more entertaining. He was so cantankerous in the early episodes that he was legendary. He just told it like it was, no bs, just straight to the point with added grouchiness. Who can forget shut up Wesley?

I prefer the later Picard myself, but the shut up Wesley moment is magnificent.

What's the wink for? Do you know who I mean?

Clue: it rhymes with dwight schultz.

I mean - what's your prob with Brocolli?
    I want you to make it your business to befriend him.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Episodes featuring Lwaxana Troi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sub Rosa.....awful awful stuff.

Darmok and Ja-lad at tanagra.

Never again.

• Advertisement

Any episode that had Neelix as its main character should never be watched again - for some reason, I never liked him.

Many of the Enterprise episodes, IMO, were very poor and I would never watch them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Outrageous Okana, the comic parts are cringeworthy to the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Never again.

Would be in my top 5 episodes that I couldn't watch again. It actually makes me a bit angry even reading your piece of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Never again.

Eh?

I loved that episode.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Eh?

I loved that episode.

The 64000 dollar question is would you watch it again? The first time I watched it I enjoyed the ending not because it ended, but because it redeemed itself with how things ended at the end, which I cant remember. But, that does not mean I want to watch it all again.

It was tedious and frustrating, and reminds me a lot of the first time I met my polish father in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Never again.

but Ashley Judd...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »

I hate that, they should have just called him O'Connor :D

EnterNow wrote: »

What episode is that - I can't seem to remember it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Kojak wrote: »
    What episode is that - I can't seem to remember it. :confused:

I couldn't remember it by the title, but see here. Pretty bad episode alright.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Eh?

I loved that episode.

I liked Picard's never-seen-before-or-again away jacket with the ribbed rubber shoulders. The actual ep - meh...

Advertisement