Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell if puppy going into heat?

• 01-05-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if there are any signs I should be looking for to know if our puppy is going into heat? She is just about 5 months old and we're planning to get her spayed at 6 months before her first heat.

However lately she has been licking herself a lot down there and also humping her bed. She kinda seems very down too, more sleepy than usual, could she be going into heat early? Can she be spayed before 6 months if this is the case? We were really trying to avoid her having a heat at all to lessen the cancer risks, etc., and also so she wouldn't know what she was missing when she gets done. Any advice greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

About a week to 2 weeks before female dogs go into heat they pass small droplets of blood from their vulva - if she's indoors you will probably have noticed this the most. Also male dogs will become VERY interested in her on walks etc, and she'll start becoming more receptive to them. The size of her vulva on the outside will also increase/swell but this might be less noticeable as you probably haven't been staring at her vulva for the last 5 months!! :p Sometimes you will get other changes as well like going off their food etc, but the blood spotting and the sudden interested swarms of male dogs are the most noticeable things in general.

Hopefully she hasn't gone into heat yet, you're right that spaying before the first heat is the best in terms of preventing mammary tumours. But don't panic too much because there is still some advantages to getting her done before her 2nd heat :o

The other thing, which you probably know already, is that if she is in heat, she can't be spayed for another 4-6 weeks at least, because spaying them while in heat is riskier. So if she is in heat already, all you can really do is wait it out, and keep her well away from any male dogs until then! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

However lately she has been licking herself a lot down there and also humping her bed. She kinda seems very down too, more sleepy than usual, could she be going into heat early?

sounds exactly like the symptons that my dog went through when she went into heat at under 6mths. also she was off her food which was very unusual. male dogs will probably start coming around the house soon awell so be very careful.

If i were you I would ring my vet tomorrow and ask for a pre-spay consultation. i rang my vet when i suspected and they gave me a pre-spay consultation for free where they told me she was in heat. i wasn't able to spay her for 2.5mths after her heat as things are swollen down there and it is too risky so she wasn't spayed until about 8mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

dvet, thanks for the info, I didn't know all the details so feel more informed now!! No signs of blood as yet and she is indoors on a light coloured carpet so we would have noticed, only blood has been a baby tooth falling out so far!

Moving_home, thanks I wasn't sure if they could go into heat at this age so that's good to know :) she seems to be ok with food at the moment but I'll ring the vet tomorrow and see what they say, as maybe if she's not quite in heat yet she could be done now. If not I'll have my work cut out for me as there are so many dogs around our area!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 volvick

I didn't get my bitch spayed, she is not long after her first heat cycle at 9 months. I had a feeling it was coming because she got down the dumps, I actually saw a change in her (friends thought I was mad) But sure enough days later she was in heat. She kept herself clean so I only saw a few drops of blood - these were tiny and only saw them because I was looking. Her bed had stains and friends male dogs gave her attention. No dogs came around the house like I was told would happen. I kept her mainly at home and in the garden for the cycle, only bringing her out late enough at night when dogs would be kept in. I think you should look at the advantages and disadvantages of spaying her:

http://www.churchfieldvets.co.uk/Churchfield%20Vets%20website/Spaying%20your%20bitch.html

Just to note she will get depressed when she is spayed and you won't be able to lift her, she will want to be left alone for days after. Personally I don't think its fair on the dog, but thats a personal opinion. Whenever my bitch goes into heat I will be keeping a very close eye on her, she is never off the lead when out in public. If you go with it - good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

volvick wrote: »
    I didn't get my bitch spayed, she is not long after her first heat cycle at 9 months. I had a feeling it was coming because she got down the dumps, I actually saw a change in her (friends thought I was mad) But sure enough days later she was in heat. She kept herself clean so I only saw a few drops of blood - these were tiny and only saw them because I was looking. Her bed had stains and friends male dogs gave her attention. No dogs came around the house like I was told would happen. I kept her mainly at home and in the garden for the cycle, only bringing her out late enough at night when dogs would be kept in. I think you should look at the advantages and disadvantages of spaying her:

http://www.churchfieldvets.co.uk/Churchfield%20Vets%20website/Spaying%20your%20bitch.html

Just to note she will get depressed when she is spayed and you won't be able to lift her, she will want to be left alone for days after. Personally I don't think its fair on the dog, but thats a personal opinion. Whenever my bitch goes into heat I will be keeping a very close eye on her, she is never off the lead when out in public. If you go with it - good luck!

All of my dogs have been neutered/spayed and I've never had one react like that. My biggest problem has always been trying to keep them from running around playing the day after the op:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but you cannot generalise like that. I know lots of dogs who have been spayed and are absol fine the next day. Yes some are a little uncomfortable from the OP, but saying they want to be left alone for days and will be depressed is not true for all if not most dogs.
    Also, why would you want to lift her anyway?:confused:
    There are far more advantages to neutering than disadvantages.

If you think its unfair to spay, how fair do you think it is on her to have her more prone to Pyometra, mammary cancers etc and having unwanted puppies if she gets accidently mated?
    Spaying is a very routine and straight forward procedure and unless you plan to show your dog or breed, then all dogs should spayed or neutered.

All i can say is good luck going through her seasons every 6 months or less, and if i had a choice i would have my dogs neutered and spayed, but as i show my dogs they have to be kept entire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just to note she will get depressed when she is spayed

That is ridiculous and so untrue. I got Tilly spayed, she slept that evening and was back to her same self the next day. Trying to stop her jumping so to not tear her stitches was the only problem.

When I got our male dog done at 5 years old he was grand that evening. It stopped him humping etc so was well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

i think when volvic said lift the dog i think he/she meant lift her spirits?? eh maybe///

Jaysus hold on people. I am just saying what the vet told me, I am just an owner not a Vet or vets assistant. I know from past experience with parents dogs that they did get down the dumps days after, I was a kid and teenager for the two pets and they wouldn't play with me for days after.

Lift my dog? She is a toy dog in a 2 storey house, she can't get downstairs without lifting her, also she jumps up to me if bigger dogs come running after her - got attacked 3 times in her short life, so she sees a dog running for her and its like a cartoon - jumps up.

My personal choice is not to do it, each to their own. Love to hear with it goes good for people. My lil dog won't be out without a lead so I don't have anything to worry about.

Hope that clears it up, as I said saying what I was told by the vet

If you think its unfair to spay, how fair do you think it is on her to have her more prone to Pyometra, mammary cancers etc and having unwanted puppies if she gets accidently mated?
    Spaying is a very routine and straight forward procedure and unless you plan to show your dog or breed, then all dogs should spayed or neutered.

I think its unfair because once a person becomes a teen we don't get them spayed - in a sorta way. I think its natural for a bitch to have a litter, saying that I wouldn't want the litter having litters :). I would like my dog to become a mother someday and I would plan on keep all the dogs

All i can say is good luck going through her seasons every 6 months or less, and if i had a choice i would have my dogs neutered and spayed, but as i show my dogs they have to be kept entire.

Thanks - I don't mind her going into heat, she is always on a lead when outside the garden, and in the garden there is no chance of a male dog getting in. Also she is a show dog too but didn't know she couldn't be spayed to compete, new to the show dog thing

• Advertisement

I think its unfair because once a person becomes a teen we don't get them spayed - in a sorta way. I think its natural for a bitch to have a litter, saying that I wouldn't want the litter having litters :). I would like my dog to become a mother someday and I would plan on keep all the dogs

Thanks - I don't mind her going into heat, she is always on a lead when outside the garden, and in the garden there is no chance of a male dog getting in. Also she is a show dog too but didn't know she couldn't be spayed to compete, new to the show dog thing

You are seriously equating dogs to people? So, as we don't spay teenage humans, how many children have you bought from people? You bought your dog from someone I guess, does the analogy not go all the way?

It is actually not natural for a bitch to have a litter, if we're going to talk about wolves or wild dogs, then it would only be the alpha bitch that would breed. If you're going to let it all happen naturally, I assume you're not going to worry about who the sire of the pups is, you're just going to let her out and see who mates with her? Because if you choose which dog she mates with, thats not natural.

Best of luck keeping all the puppies, you've obviously got a fantastic, very well paid job to be able to pay all the vets bills, food etc for that many dogs. Maybe you should do a little bit of research though into littermate syndrome:) What if you do the relevant health tests to your dog's breed and they show that she has a genetic problem that could impact on her pups' health and well being, still going to breed her? Or are you not planning on doing the health tests?

I think the reason people jumped on your post is because you stated, as if it was fact that the bitch would be 'depressed', instead of saying that in your experience that is what you have found.

ISDW wrote: »
    You are seriously equating dogs to people? So, as we don't spay teenage humans, how many children have you bought from people? You bought your dog from someone I guess, does the analogy not go all the way?

It is actually not natural for a bitch to have a litter, if we're going to talk about wolves or wild dogs, then it would only be the alpha bitch that would breed. If you're going to let it all happen naturally, I assume you're not going to worry about who the sire of the pups is, you're just going to let her out and see who mates with her? Because if you choose which dog she mates with, thats not natural.

Best of luck keeping all the puppies, you've obviously got a fantastic, very well paid job to be able to pay all the vets bills, food etc for that many dogs. Maybe you should do a little bit of research though into littermate syndrome:) What if you do the relevant health tests to your dog's breed and they show that she has a genetic problem that could impact on her pups' health and well being, still going to breed her? Or are you not planning on doing the health tests?

I think the reason people jumped on your post is because you stated, as if it was fact that the bitch would be 'depressed', instead of saying that in your experience that is what you have found.

Ok here we go, Its a personal thought about a bitch been spayed - end of, no offence to anyone. I simply gave the information that was given to me but did not state where it came from. The breed of dog I have has around 4-5 puppies, IF my dog has puppies they may not ALL be kept with me, for obvious reasons but I would hope to keep most and I have a family who loves my breed of dog and would love to keep puppies too. I don't have a very well paid job but it doesn't cost much to keep the breed of dog I have. Actually I love dogs and if I had a bigger place I would take in from the pound, but won't risk dogs I don't know been near my dog. On your last point of people jumping on my post - from my experience the two female dogs we had at home were down the dumps after the op, not sure if I stated earlier but as a child and teenager I found they would not play with me for a few days - this was also told to me by the vet. I don't know why people in here get a kick out of jumping on posts - not saying anyone did here but I see it so often

Ok here we go, Its a personal thought about a bitch been spayed - end of, no offence to anyone. I simply gave the information that was given to me but did not state where it came from. The breed of dog I have has around 4-5 puppies, IF my dog has puppies they may not ALL be kept with me, for obvious reasons but I would hope to keep most and I have a family who loves my breed of dog and would love to keep puppies too. I don't have a very well paid job but it doesn't cost much to keep the breed of dog I have. Actually I love dogs and if I had a bigger place I would take in from the pound, but won't risk dogs I don't know been near my dog. On your last point of people jumping on my post - from my experience the two female dogs we had at home were down the dumps after the op, not sure if I stated earlier but as a child and teenager I found they would not play with me for a few days - this was also told to me by the vet. I don't know why people in here get a kick out of jumping on posts - not saying anyone did here but I see it so often

As I said, I think its because you stated it as if it is a fact.

Can I ask, if you're showing your dog, you obviously got her from a reputable breeder, who breeds show quality dogs, did they not put any endorsements on the dog so that she can't be bred from without certain conditions being adhered to? Not having a go at you, just wondering.

Oh I know your not, just don't get the jumping on posts here. Anyway I wasn't clear. As for the dog I will PM you, don't want breeders details on here - not fair cause they were very nice :)

Advertisement