Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Poets Rest in Slane

• 01-05-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just opened the Poets Rest in Slane,Meath as an Argentinean steak & seafood house.

Apart from the shameless plug, I am looking for good quality suppliers of locally produced produce for the restaurant.

Can anyone please PM me with suppliers that are tried and trusted.

I have met with loads, but just want to know the best,

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Slimbo wrote: »
    I have just opened the Poets Rest in Slane,Meath as an Argentinean steak & seafood house.

Apart from the shameless plug, I am looking for good quality suppliers of locally produced produce for the restaurant.

Can anyone please PM me with suppliers that are tried and trusted.

Does that include Irish suppliers of steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Of course, all our meat is Irish.
    We are an Argentinean themed restaurant,
    Liam

In that case, I think you should make things more clear. If I saw a restaurant described as an Argentinian Steak house, I would expect it to serve Argentinian steak (and I would give it a miss, because I have Irish neighbours who produce beef).

My wifes family are dairy farmers, I know all to well about buying and supporting Irish products.
    Would you also give Chinese,Indian or any other restaurants a miss because they are not Irish. Have you ever eaten in them I wonder.
    They all import their core products from country of origin.
    Do you only drink Guniness, Smithwicks etc or have you tried Sol, Corona Miller, budweiser etc.

Stop with the silly comments, if you can't help(as thats all I asked for), then say no.....thats very simple.

No need to get snotty. You are in the hospitality industry.

I have been in the Poet's Rest in the past. I won't be there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

as a farmer myself the owners really need to clarify to people that it is irish beef that is being used ... maybe i am totally thick but i didnt know that irish beef was being used, i am sure i am not the only one

My wifes family are dairy farmers, I know all to well about buying and supporting Irish products.
    Would you also give Chinese,Indian or any other restaurants a miss because they are not Irish. Have you ever eaten in them I wonder.
    Do you only drink Guniness, Smithwicks etc or have you tried Sol, Corona Miller, budweiser etc.

Stop with the silly comments, if you can't help(as thats all I asked for), then say no.....thats very simple.
    christ that sounds great for promoting a business , so we are all thick , thank you

Not being snotty at all, I did say in the original post that it was an Argentinean "themed" restaurant, and I was looking for quality local suppliers.

I just asked for help, as I only want the best produce at the restaurant.

I wasn't expecting to be told that people would'nt support me for no reason whatsoever, and for trying to source local.

As I pointed out, I am extremely patriotic where I source produce from being from a farming family.

Also, my point sticks with Chinese or Indian restaurants.

Just stating facts is all.

are you from a farm or is it your wife ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DundalkShem

Sorry I have no real info re suppliers, but as a relatively useless pointer there is local Food Market held at Sheridan Cheesmongers in Carnaross every Saturday and there's some excellent produce suppliers on show there-they even have an Irish Food Festival coming up on May 29th-may be worth a visit to source produce, but I'm curious about the restuarant. I've seen the sign outside and I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that it is only a "themed" restuarant. I've been lucky enough to eat in Argentine steakhuses around the world and there is nothing to compare to Argentine beef for flavour-sorry to upset the Irish beef farmer but that's the way it is. I hope your Restuarant is a success-is it up and running yet? If so what are your hours? I'd like to visit-even if it's not Argentine beef I hope that steaks are enormous!!! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Are you open for lunchs on fridays?
    Do you have a full alcohol licence?

Hi Again,
    Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.
    We are in our 3rd week of trading and things are going great.
    When I say an Argentine themed restaurant, I would like to clarify.
    we cook Irish beef on a lava stone chargrill that brings out the very best flavour of Irish beef.
    We have locally scourced Hereford prime, which is the same cattle type as in Argentina. The marbleing of the beef is excellent.
    We also have other Argentine dishes that are traditional to Argentina, we cook fish the way they like it to.
    The music,decor,beer and wines are traditional also.
    We are open Tues thru Sunday from 12midday to late.
    Thanks again and we hope to see you there in the near future,
    Best regards,
    Liam

Sorry one more thing, yes we have a full licence.
    Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Thanks Liam

Few of us called in for lunch today.

Lovely spot and top food. Will be back.. hope it goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Hi Liam,

can you send me a pm with the web site and menu? Would like to try it out as I last tried this style of food in Amsterdam and it was very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irishlass11

Hi Liam

Best of luck with your new restaurant. I live locally in Slane and have been in the poets rest many years from when it was a local pub to a bakery etc.
    Would you have a menu available online and prices?

Advertisement