Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Man Hit My Dog In The Face With A Hurley

• 01-05-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

I was walking my dog on the beach today and another dog was playing fetch with his owner and my dog gets excited when she sees another dog running around so she ran over and the owner smacked my dog in the face with the hurley he was using to play fetch. I was absolutely horrified and ran over and got very upset but the owner was totally unaffected and felt no remorse whatsoever.

I brought my dog to the vet and it seems that the cuts are only superficial and she got more of a shock than anything else and I've to keep a close eye on her to see if she becomes disorientated or anything like that. But I just can't believe that someone did this. The thought of someone deliberately doing this so brutally is just so upsetting to me. I love all dogs and I'm still sick to my stomach over this. I'm just wondering would a dog be affected by something like this in her mind. She seems in good form and eating and all that but this guy swung the hurley with full force into her face. Surely this will traumatise her ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Horrible and no one can excuse what the man did.

BUT look at it from another point of view.... you were not in control of your dog. What if there was a 3 year old child near the other dog? Would the man have been justified if he felt your dog was a threat to his child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

The pollox, what did u say to him, were you on your own. Dont know about the dog, but I would be traumatised. That's animal cruelty to me.

catchup wrote: »

BUT look at it from another point of view.... you were not in control of your dog. What if there was a 3 year old child near the other dog? Would the man have been justified if he felt your dog was a threat to his child?

That would work the other way around to, if I was on the beach with my child and a man playing hurley hit the ball in my direction and I saw a dog running towards me and my child. Would I pick up my parosol and hit the dog full force in the face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ya thats a great story of what might have happened if there was a child there,but there wasnt a child there.

If he done that to my dog and i managed to restrain myself from using the same hurley on him,i would have rang the guards.That is animal cruelty of a serious order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No child was mentioned, so why bring that into it? Even if a child was there, the dog didn't threaten anybody or anything.

I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Shouldn't you have had your dog on a leash? No sympathy for you.I have sympathy for your dog though.
    The dog will get over it.

Your poor dog :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Shouldn't you have had your dog on a leash? No sympathy for you.I have sympathy for your dog though.

Unless its a by law of that particular beach, then why should the OP have had the dog on a leash? And the man with the hurley, who had his dog off leash as well??? Unless he was playing fetch with his dog on a lead and holding hurley at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

do you mind me asking what beach this was .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

I always put my dog back on the lead when theres kids around just to avoid anything at all happening. But there was no kids near us. I went nuts. Absolutely crazy. I love my dog so much and my voice was sore cos I screamed at the guy that much and like I say he thought that it was fine to do this.

Obviously my priority was getting my dog to a vet and we were way up the beach and it was the longest walk ever to get back to the car and then I had to drive far to get the emergency vet that was on call. The stress caused was unreal. So I couldn't hang around to get his reg and report him or whatever. If I do see him again I'm afraid of what I'll do. I'd say if I were a man he wouldn't have gone near my dog but hes a brave man hitting a womans dog y'know. The beach is near me so theres a strong chance of seeing this man again and god help him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Methinks there is more to this than we have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

No yosserhughes you are allowed walk dogs off the lead on beaches during certain hours.

That's not the issue here anyway so let's not get into the on lead/off lead debate.

To the OP...how dare he hit your dog. I would have followed him, got his car reg and reported him to the gardai.

It was donabate beach.

I was way up the beach and both dogs were off the lead and there was me and that guy and another couple and i think the owners wife.

He told me that his dog had been bitten by another dog recently so thats why he hit my dog :confused: thats what he told me. so my dog got the punishment for what some other dog did.

he was playing fetch and my dog ran towards the ball getting a bit excited and then BANG!!!! Wolfe Tone....you think its cool to smack a dog in the face do you??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It's all about perception.

'I was on the beach, hitting balls for my dog to chase, when this other dog comes racing past me towards my dog, so I swung out the hurley to try and stop him or distract him. Possibly not the best idea, but I was surprised and acted instinctively to stop it attacking my dog. Between the swing of the hurley and the speed the dog was running he got quite a whack.

Then the dog's owner comes over, raging at me for defending my dog! If he couldn't control his dog he should have had it on a lead! I was very annoyed, - he was so self-righteous about his dog being allowed to run free even though he couldn't control it.'

No and I don't want sympathy for me. If i was hit in the face I wouldn't be posting here. If he was p-ed off then give me hassle and hit me with the stick but not a poor gorgeous little dog having a run around on the beach that shes on everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I'd (feel) like hitting the man in the face with a golf club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Lucyx wrote: »
    No and I don't want sympathy for me. If i was hit in the face I wouldn't be posting here. If he was p-ed off then give me hassle and hit me with the stick but not a poor gorgeous little dog having a run around on the beach that shes on everyday.

Fair enough Lucy.I'm sorry I was a bit heartless.I also didn't realise dogs could be off the leash at certain times on beaches.I genuinely did not know that.
    Look the man was a brute but your dog will recover I'm sure of it.They are hardier than you think.You sound like a good owner.
    Forget about revenge on the other man.It ain't worth it.

looksee wrote: »
    It's all about perception.

'I was on the beach, hitting balls for my dog to chase, when this other dog comes racing past me towards my dog, so I swung out the hurley to try and stop him or distract him. Possibly not the best idea, but I was surprised and acted instinctively to stop it attacking my dog. Between the swing of the hurley and the speed the dog was running he got quite a whack.

Then the dog's owner comes over, raging at me for defending my dog! If he couldn't control his dog he should have had it on a lead! I was very annoyed, - he was so self-righteous about his dog being allowed to run free even though he couldn't control it.'

now looksee here looksee....this guy looked at me (i was a bit away from him) and DELIBERATELY smacked my dog in the face at FULL FORCE. FACT. He was very very content about hitting my dog and walked away and came back to assure me that he'd done the right thing even when he saw my dogs eye was all bloody. I would always defend my dog in any situation but I'd never hit another dog in order to do that. He knew exactly what he was doing and there was no acting instinctively or a kind of reflex thing going on. He was delighted with himself. I'm sure of it.

What breed of dog have u Lucy, not that it make any difference (just curious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

But here's the thing, if every dog owner went about hitting every dog that came over to ours, we'd be doing nothing some days but clobber dogs. I'm not being facetious but dogs do check each other out. I was at Portumna Forest Park last week with my dogs (who by the way were on the leash the entire time as one of them is led by her nose & would have lost the run of herself exploring if she had the chance) and the amount of unleashed dogs that were there was something else. And dogs were coming over to other dogs and sniffing each other and there were some signs of unruliness between a few.

While I have every sympathy for someone whose dog got jumped, I fail to see how hitting every other dog that comes over to it is helpful. I would assume that a dog owner would be able to recognise the signs of a dog coming over spoiling over for a fight as opposed to one who is coming over to jump around and be a harmless annoyance for a few minutes, and act accordingly.

Either way, whatever your perception and regardless of hypothetical children, I don't hold with hitting a dog (or any animal or person) in the face with a solid object. And I'm not sure how people can assume the dog wasn't under control. The OP never said that her dog has dreadful recall or that she has to run half a mile to get him back when he's off-leash. She just said he went over to another dog. Which they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

He was very very content about hitting my dog and walked away and came back to assure me that he'd done the right thing even when he saw my dogs eye was all bloody. I would always defend my dog in any situation but I'd never hit another dog in order to do that. He knew exactly what he was doing and there was no acting instinctively or a kind of reflex thing going on. He was delighted with himself. I'm sure of it.

Report him to the guards. Seriously. That is, in my opinion, a clear case of animal cruelty. I am astounded that a dog owner would do that.
    He came back to say he'd the right thing? Did he say why he did it - ie scared for his own dog that yours was running towards it?
    What a bastard.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    What breed of dog have u Lucy, not that it make any difference (just curious)

Shes a collie cross. Shes absolutely gorgeous and the skin just above her eye is all cut now and I hope it heals well cos she has the most beautiful face and I'd hate for her to be scarred forever. I got her from a rescue that I was volunteering in. She chose me as opposed to the other way around :D

I totally hear what you're saying LucyBliss. If I see someone with their dog on the lead I'm totally respectful of that and know that they don't want to be bothered or theres some reason that their dog is on the lead and I immediately put mine on the lead. But if the dogs are off the lead you make the assumption that its all cool and they can meet and play and sniff etc.

I'll be so careful after today though. Not a good day at all.

kildara wrote: »
    Report him to the guards. Seriously. That is, in my opinion, a clear case of animal cruelty. I am astounded that a dog owner would do that.
    He came back to say he'd the right thing? Did he say why he did it - ie scared for his own dog that yours was running towards it?
    What a bastard.

I honestly thought he was coming back to apologise cos I was so upset and I hoped he realised his error.....but no.

Hopefully I'll see him again and get his car reg then.

He said he did it cos his dog was bitten recently. His dog was in grand form as well. Not wary of dogs or anything like that after being bitten whenever that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Oh I do hope your poor dog is okay and doesn't suffer any adverse reactions from that waste of spaces disgraceful behaviour. There is no excuse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

What kind of dog did this man have? What did the man look like? Age? Colour of hair, etc? Someone else from your area might read this thread, recognize him and you might then be able to trace him and put some manners on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭cbreeze

It was donabate beach.

I was way up the beach and both dogs were off the lead and there was me and that guy and another couple and i think the owners wife.

He told me that his dog had been bitten by another dog recently so thats why he hit my dog :confused: thats what he told me. so my dog got the punishment for what some other dog did.

he was playing fetch and my dog ran towards the ball getting a bit excited and then BANG!!!! Wolfe Tone....you think its cool to smack a dog in the face do you??????

puts the_ass into hole imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Oh your poor dog, such savagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Oh My God my bloods boiling.

You're right, there's no way on gods earth he'd have hit that dog if the owner was a bloke, he clearly saw it was a Woman and the coward that he is he hit the defenseless dog. (you'd wonder how he treats his own dog if it doesn't phase him to do something like that to an animal)

If he done that to my dog, I'd have had to be physically pulled of the guy, I'd have FLIPPED. I'm not aggressive at all and I'm a small guy but I'd have done my best to ram that hurley as far up that guys arsehole as his anatomy would allow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not cool to hit a dog. Your dog was uncontrolled.

Two wrongs.

Had you your dog under control it wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement

LucyBliss wrote: »

Either way, whatever your perception and regardless of hypothetical children,

:pac::pac::pac:Sorry, this is a very serious thread, but that made me laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement