Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Man Hit My Dog In The Face With A Hurley

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Can I just point out, and I surprised this has not been mentioned, "in Control" of a dog does not mean he needs to be on a lead. I seldom had dogs on a lead but when I told them down or come they obeyed. Arguably the hurler was in control of his dog as it was fetching the ball. Your dog was not under control as it ran away from you.

I feel we are missing A LOT of this story, I cant see some one hitting a random dog running along a beach. I can see someone hitting a dog that he feel threatened by, or feel is a threat to his dog.

I have only hit twp dogs in my life and that was after they bit me. Did you dog snap at the hurler? ( Do you know?)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

ninja 12 wrote: »

I never said that .

The average pet dog wouldn't be as disciplined off the lead as the examples I mentioned above .

Never said you did. But there was a post earlier in the thread that stated that all dogs should be on a lead at all times. Your examples above make this statement out to be BS which is the point I was getting at. Seems that most people accept that a lead is not always required once the dog is properly trained and conditions allow for it to be off it.

Most owners would use common sense to determine when a lead is required (I think its safe to say that most onwers like to let their dogs off the lead for a little bit of freedom when the time is right). As for the OP's experiences, I'm inclined to think that the guy with the hurl went way OTT by hitting her dog in the face and it says more about him as a person that it does about her as a dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

maglite wrote: »
    Can I just point out, and I surprised this has not been mentioned, "in Control" of a dog does not mean he needs to be on a lead. I seldom had dogs on a lead but when I told them down or come they obeyed. Arguably the hurler was in control of his dog as it was fetching the ball. Your dog was not under control as it ran away from you.

Requiring dogs to be kept on a lead is usually down to council bye-laws and land owners / managing companies (in the case of forestry land , parks ) isn't it ?
    Usually for the safety of other people / so there is no nuisance caused by dogs running around .

Here's a quote and link to the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
    environ.ie wrote:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl

By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. The law requires also that all dogs be licensed and there are penalties for non-compliance.

Quote about requiring leads
    environ.ie wrote:
    Local authorities may make bye-laws also in relation to the control of dogs within their functional areas. These bye-laws could, for example, specify areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area.

phil1nj wrote: »
    Seems that most people accept that a lead is not always required once the dog is properly trained and conditions allow for it to be off it.

Most owners would use common sense to determine when a lead is required (I think its safe to say that most owners like to let their dogs off the lead for a little bit of freedom when the time is right).

I agree , but unfortunately not everybody cares what their dog gets up to when loose , and spoil it for the responsible dog owners out there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Requiring dogs to be kept on a lead is usually down to council bye-laws and land owners / managing companies (in the case of forestry land , parks ) isn't it ?
    Usually for the safety of other people / so there is no nuisance caused by dogs running around .
    By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. The law requires also that all dogs be licensed and there are penalties for non-compliance.

While I cant speak for every council/land owner I will address the link you posted
    Can I bring my dog to the forest? Yes. Forests are a great place to walk your dog. However remember that other visitors use the forest and they may not be as fond of YOUR dog as you are and dogs can also cause disturbance to wildlife and live stock on adjoining farmland. Therefore YOU must be aware of what your dog is doing in the forest and be sure that they are under effective control. Effective control means that your dog will come at your command, if not your dog must to be kept on a lead.

As I said, he can be off lead but under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

maglite wrote: »
    I feel we are missing A LOT of this story, I cant see some one hitting a random dog running along a beach. I can see someone hitting a dog that he feel threatened by, or feel is a threat to his dog.

I have only hit twp dogs in my life and that was after they bit me. Did you dog snap at the hurler? ( Do you know?)

I think its unfair to question the OP. People do do this kind of thing, unfortunately. A young guy who was hanging around outside my house swung a hurley at my cat last year, and my cat was just quietly sitting on my garden wall minding its own business (luckily she got out of the way in time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry no excuse for this man to hit the dog shoo it away yes but not hit the dog he had no right plenty of dogs walk off leash on beaches all over the country the law states dogs must be under effective control not dogs aren't allowed potter about or play fetch.

He used excessive force and there was no excuse for it, god help his own dog if that dog does something he doesn't like.

Bottom line excessive force was used no matter how wrong or right OP was.

Dogs by law are allowed off lead if under effective control, this dog was under control just pottering about after a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Brought my little girl to the vets again today and shes totally grand so I'm extremely relieved. Its been a very stressful few days and I'm just glad shes ok.

I'll definitely be more careful from now and I won't let her ramble up to dogs just cos they are off lead and I'll certainly avoid jerks with hurleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lucyx wrote: »
    Brought my little girl to the vets again today and shes totally grand so I'm extremely relieved. Its been a very stressful few days and I'm just glad shes ok.

I'll definitely be more careful from now and I won't let her ramble up to dogs just cos they are off lead and I'll certainly avoid jerks with hurleys.
    I think you should keep the dog on the lead unless the area is deserted as you dont have proper control.

Dogs by law are allowed off lead if under effective control, this dog was under control just pottering about after a toy.

Her dog was not under control , if it ran up to a stranger and his dog on the beach .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Any time I am out I public with my two dogs I keep them on a lead unless there is no one around.I hate to see dogs off a leash in public last week a german Shepard came running up to us and it's owner running after him shouting don't worry he's a quite dog. Well I was worried dogs should be kept under control.I still don't think I would have hit the dog unless I really felt in danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I was walking my dog on the beach today and another dog was playing fetch with his owner and my dog gets excited when she sees another dog running around so she ran over and the owner smacked my dog in the face with the hurley he was using to play fetch. I was absolutely horrified and ran over and got very upset but the owner was totally unaffected and felt no remorse whatsoever.

QUOTE]
    Yes , in the right scenario , eg. a working dog - a collie rounding sheep , or a gundog working a field ,etc.

A properly trained dog doing what it's bred for / trained to do .

I never said that .

The average pet dog wouldn't be as disciplined off the lead as the examples I mentioned above .

Donabate beach (where this incident occurred) bye-laws are as follows:
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Publications/Environment/Beach%20Bye%20laws.pdf

Dogs do not have to be on a leash at this time of the year*. However, they must be under adequate control. This includes:

"It is not causing annoyance to any person using the beach or
    worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or
    other creatures on the beach/foreshore"

Obviously if a dog is prone to getting excited when it sees other dogs running around, it is not under control in accordance with this bye-law unless it is on a leash. If it is properly trained as stated by ninja12, it does not have to be on a leash.

While I have sympathy for the OP and her dog, in this case she committed the original offence.

*For the purposes of the above, I am assuming that neither dog was in the Reserved Bathing Area. If the dog was in the Reserved Bathing Area, it must be on a leash at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Any time I am out I public with my two dogs I keep them on a lead unless there is no one around.I hate to see dogs off a leash in public last week a german Shepard came running up to us and it's owner running after him shouting don't worry he's a quite dog. Well I was worried dogs should be kept under control.I still don't think I would have hit the dog unless I really felt in danger

Seeing someone run after their dogs shouting not to worry is something that always makes me worry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Glad your girl is ok, poor thing. I think you're dead right to avoid jerks, unfortunately the world is full of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

As someone who was walking a dog that got in to a fight with another dog(mine was on a leash) I can see where the man with the hurl was coming from.

If there are no other dogs around go for it. If your dog won't come when called keep it on a leash.

I've also been bitten by a dog while out running and the owner look at my sheepishly as if to say 'not my fault'. Control your dog whether it's on leash or by command.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD ASAP.
    IT'S JUST ANNOYING NOW.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

SOMEONE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD ASAP.
    IT'S JUST ANNOYING NOW.

No need to shout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement