Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think

• 01-05-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0501/ireland.html

They say they want a Super League team within five years, I think that may be very difficult and I don't see it working financially. I wonder if there is some backer offering to put up the money for this team to happen. Theree isn't enough support for RL in Ireland to support a SL franchise imo.

Maybe it would be better to attempt to start a championship team and have it operate for a number of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Probably too soon, and the apparent disorganisation of RLI means its unlikely.

I do think though, they could achieve better crowds than a few teams currently in the Super League in a relatively short space of time. They would only need to achieve 3 or 4 thousand a week, Irish patriotism, Sky coverage and a novelty of a new sports team on TV would see to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

dissagree not dissorganised the season has not started yet , sorry (a very good win in the usa )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

I'd def go to watch 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 20 NDeagles_man

Aparently there are two rugby league franchises planned for Ireland.
    http://limerickrugby.ie/news-1579/Rugby-League-coaches-search-for-future-stars

Dublin is definitely a better place for the logistics of visiting fans. What an opportunity for tourism. I'd say tour operators in the North of England will be tripping over themselves to offer their local fan base an overnight trip in Dublin for next to nothing. 2 hours on a bus to Holyhead, cheap fare on the ferry and the best hotel prices in Europe !
    I'd predict a winner. Dublin also has the population to build up a home fan base. And Leinster has twice the number of RL participants than Munster or Ulster at the moment. And there are plenty of soccer clubs struggling financialy that might be delighted with a ground share opportunity.

Getting visitors to Limerick or Cork however would not be as easy. Very limited cheap flights and too far for road travel.

(especially in the developing years), RL clubs outside the north of England rely heavily on visiting supporters to make end meet. Take Harlequins, where they will often have more visitors than home fans. Even Sheffield struggle in Yorkshire to get good gates and their big gate days are when they get a lot of visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aparently there are two rugby league franchises planned for Ireland.
    http://limerickrugby.ie/news-1579/Rugby-League-coaches-search-for-future-stars

Dublin is definitely a better place for the logistics of visiting fans. What an opportunity for tourism. I'd say tour operators in the North of England will be tripping over themselves to offer their local fan base an overnight trip in Dublin for next to nothing. 2 hours on a bus to Holyhead, cheap fare on the ferry and the best hotel prices in Europe !
    I'd predict a winner. Dublin also has the population to build up a home fan base. And Leinster has twice the number of RL participants than Munster or Ulster at the moment. And there are plenty of soccer clubs struggling financialy that might be delighted with a ground share opportunity.

Getting visitors to Limerick or Cork however would not be as easy. Very limited cheap flights and too far for road travel.

(especially in the developing years), RL clubs outside the north of England rely heavily on visiting supporters to make end meet. Take Harlequins, where they will often have more visitors than home fans. Even Sheffield struggle in Yorkshire to get good gates and their big gate days are when they get a lot of visitors.

Excellent post, but Harlequins RARELY, if ever, these days have more away fans than home fans. No-one bothers to go, despite being in London, its a pig to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 NDeagles_man

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Excellent post, but Harlequins RARELY, if ever, these days have more away fans than home fans. No-one bothers to go, despite being in London, its a pig to get to.

I may be miss informed on that one. I was basing it on what I'd seen myself. Hull fans outnumbered 'quins by about 2 to 1 at the game last year. although hull fc do have great supporters.
    It is a very long journey from the north to the stoop, agreed.

But Dublin has a MASSIVE attraction to visitors. Limerick does not and neither really does Cork.
    A good overnight in Dublin once a year would be on a lot of peoples calendars.
    Also, the English clubs will probably be supportd financially by the RFL to travel, as they are at the mo when they go to France.

Advertisement