Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options
  • 01-05-2011 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Mod Note:

As with every year, there's obviously going to be a whole load of leaving cert/CAO/college choice discussion so I figured I may as well start a thread for everything college related. So feel free to ask questions, rant, moan, celebrate or whatever in here :)

Kateos2

Clearly none of us are taking these exams seriously. So much for the stress and denial going away after the Leaving Cert. College is waaaay worse. Well in terms of academic sides.

Depends on what course your doing :P Must update the CAO actually... :( Scary stuff...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

HxGH wrote: »
    Depends on what course your doing :P Must update the CAO actually... :( Scary stuff...

Same dilemma.. :(

I dunno whether to stick with UL/Business or go to TCD/Occupational Therapy or Social Work.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Noel2k9 wrote: »

I dunno whether to stick with UL/Business or go to TCD/Occupational Therapy or Social Work.. :(

At least we've got a whole month to choose... Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I'm doing Science :rolleyes: Bit of a gobsh*te tbh. You reapplying or LC?

Seriously wish I'd reapplied but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Me too, I was perfectly happy with my choices up until now and I've started having doubts.:( Not the best time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

At least we've got a whole month to choose... Right?

Its early July I believe. It was last year anyway.

• Advertisement

Well as I'm from Limerick I'd say hit UL. You won't beat the craic in UCC though :p Business in UL is supposed to be a laugh if you like business. and all my friends go there. The craic and mayhem they have is crazy. Go with your gut though. Always leads you in the right direction :D and btw...I had OT down as well. Tough hours from what I've heard. But do whatever you feel you'll enjoy more.

Me too, I was perfectly happy with my choices up until now and I've started having doubts.:( Not the best time...

Same.. I keep doubting everything and where I wanna go.. :(
    Well as I'm from Limerick I'd say hit UL. You won't beat the craic in UCC though :p Business in UL is supposed to be a laugh if you like business. and all my friends go there. The craic and mayhem they have is crazy. Go with your gut though. Always leads you in the right direction :D and btw...I had OT down as well. Tough hours from what I've heard. But do whatever you feel you'll enjoy more.

Ah yeah I LOVE Limerick and I'm fairly certain I'll go there.. Dunno whether I'll stick with Business or not though. Maybe Law or something.. >_<

Same.. I keep doubting everything and where I wanna go.. :(

Ah yeah I LOVE Limerick and I'm fairly certain I'll go there.. Dunno whether I'll stick with Business or not though. Maybe Law or something.. >_<

Relax and you'll be fine :) No point in gettin too stressed out. You'll figure out what you wanna do in good time. Sure I dont know what I wanna do. Part of me wants to go do Arts now. Missed the deadline and now I'm either stuck repeating first year or dropping out.

Relax and you'll be fine :) No point in gettin too stressed out. You'll figure out what you wanna do in good time. Sure I dont know what I wanna do. Part of me wants to go do Arts now. Missed the deadline and now I'm either stuck repeating first year or dropping out.

Can't you reapply through the CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Of feck. I should really have a look at my CAO too. Feels weird to be doing it all again, can't fupping wait. Am I going to be the only C&Her in DIT?

• Advertisement

Can't you reapply through the CAO?

Its May 1st :( It closed about 4 hours ago :(

kateos2 wrote: »
    Of feck. I should really have a look at my CAO too. Feels weird to be doing it all again, can't fupping wait. Am I going to be the only C&Her in DIT?

My bff's going? I can totally hook you up.. >_> :P

Damn! :( You could probably apply directly to the college?

Damn! :( You could probably apply directly to the college?

Yea, I have the points for internal transfer. I'm asking around about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

That sucks :\ I thought the CAO late application didn't close this early - last summer, I applied for a course in UL some time after 2nd year of my old course had finished. However, I can't remember whether I applied through the CAO or by applying directly to UL - I have a feeling that it was the CAO, but all I can remember was contacting UL about a deferral :S

At any rate, contacting the college to see what options are available to you would seem like the best thing to do right now.

Lads, is there somewhere that has a list of CAO important dates? Like closing dates, and when the offers and stuff are out?

Lads, is there somewhere that has a list of CAO important dates? Like closing dates, and when the offers and stuff are out?

All on the CAO website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Yea, I have the points for internal transfer. I'm asking around about it anyway.

Go for it, I say!

In your cao pack or on the website :)

Yup.. It's all in here!

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

Robby91 wrote: »
    That sucks :\ I thought the CAO late application didn't close this early - last summer, I applied for a course in UL some time after 2nd year of my old course had finished. However, I can't remember whether I applied through the CAO or by applying directly to UL - I have a feeling that it was the CAO, but all I can remember was contacting UL about a deferral :S

At any rate, contacting the college to see what options are available to you would seem like the best thing to do right now.

Probably. All I know is I'd rather be doing Arts in September.

Ah I just found it on the website. I'm blind. Don't have a pack or anything cos I'm reapplying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

The very day I kind of think I want to drop out a CAO discussion starts up... An omen perhaps?

Kate, I think on the CAO website there's an important dates section. On my phone now so I can't check but I think there is! :)

Ooh new thread so! :D

What's everyone after applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

You can do Law through Business, but there's an AWFUL LOT of work and misery in Law. Talk to someone who does Law in UL before you commit.

Got to put a link up for Randy's thread in the LC forum as it does contain a load of useful and helpful information

CAO *A few important points thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    You can do Law through Business, but there's an AWFUL LOT of work and misery in Law. Talk to someone who does Law in UL before you commit.

This.

I love it really but I'm due a mental breakdown before May 20th!

Law is interesting and a really great subject but it is a seriously demanding subject though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Thought I'd accidentally wandered back into the leaving cert forum when I saw this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

What's everyone after applying for?

Software Development in LIT for me :D Hopefully I'll have accrued enough money over the summer to get a laptop and various bits n' bobs :)

Robby91 wrote: »
    Software Development in LIT for me :D Hopefully I'll have accrued enough money over the summer to get a laptop and various bits n' bobs :)

Ooh cool. :)

I'll hopefully get the HEAR scheme, my brother did, so hopefully I will too, which seems like a great addition to the college experience! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ooh cool. :)

I'll hopefully get the HEAR scheme, my brother did, so hopefully I will too, which seems like a great addition to the college experience! :)
    My HEAR orientation week was one of the most enjoyable weeks ever! Hope you do get on it Noel :) Going to be a leader at it this year for all the new little NUIM students :p

Advertisement