Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Frost, Yeats, Kavanagh

They were on it 4 years ago too. So were Elliot, Bishop, Plath, Montague and Donne. Good times!
    Snap. They were great. Even Elizabeth Bishop :P

Jesus IO, we're old >.<

I hated Bishop! Her poems were so boring! And my teacher kept trying to insist the imagery was really deep and meaningful. >_< Oh well. I don't feel old, and that's all that matters! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Black Lace Fan is grand.. way too personal though! :P
    It's just the fact that it doesn't really fit in with the themes of the other poems we do, so it's always an effort trying to figure out how to include it and stuff.
    And yeah jumpy, I always think Child of Our Time tries too hard to be heart-wrenching or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I hated Bishop! Her poems were so boring! And my teacher kept trying to insist the imagery was really deep and meaningful. >_< Oh well. I don't feel old, and that's all that matters!
    Ah now, you can't bate The Fish surely? :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've written better poems that that myself! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Black Lace Fan is grand.. way too personal though! :P
    Namlub wrote: »
    It's just the fact that it doesn't really fit in with the themes of the other poems we do, so it's always an effort trying to figure out how to include it and stuff.
    And yeah jumpy, I always think Child of Our Time tries too hard to be heart-wrenching or something...

And the memories are now strolling back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Pffft, Filling Station was so much better! :pac:

I always thought it was funny how much I preferred English poetry to Irish poetry. The only dán on the course I liked was Oíche Nollaig na mBan (which admittedly was amazing!) but I liked most if not all of the English poems I did on some level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I learned a few lines from it..

"They stayed in Paris for the summer.
    She was always early. He was late.

The lace was overcast.

And no way to know what happened then
    none at all"

>_>

I liked Child Of Our Time, but my favourite poem of hers would be "Outside History" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Not sure which ones we're actually doing yet, I wish Daddy was on the course.

+100000, (even though I'm an LC 2013er but whatevs, same thing) I think it's my favourite poem ever, the last verses <3. I've actually listened to her doing a reading of it on YouTube so many times. And I want Ariel on it too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Slow Show wrote: »
    +100000, (even though I'm an LC 2013er but whatevs, same thing) I think it's my favourite poem ever, the last verses <3. I've actually listened to her doing a reading of it on YouTube so many times. And I want Ariel on it too. :(
    Hah me too, I love her voice ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I did Macbeth in '09
    As did I! We watched the Roman Polanski version of the film and at the end when
    Macbeth is beheaded
    because of all the tension and what not my friend and I just burst out laughing!!! I think it was because
    you could hear his head bounce...
    Our teacher was not impressed.
    Snap. They were great. Even Elizabeth Bishop :P

I got a whole 7 pages out of her for my essay. YEEEEEEAHHHHHH!

Rich was my favourite though, nothing like a bit of Living in Sin!

Why were all the female poets on the LC course depessed, lesbian, or depressed lesbians! Talk about pigeonholing female poets!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Or women who stick their heads in ovens..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Is anyone doing HL Irish here? I have a really lovely 100%-esque essay on an cúlú for the takin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Derek Mahon is the business lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone who's starting exams on weds. You'll all be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Just going through the LC timetable as my brother is doing it. Lads...ye have English paper 2 on the Thursday afternoon?! Ye have it easy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Yeah, back in my day we had an entire DAY worth of English exams. You kids don't know how lucky you are! :P

We also walked to school through the fields, in the snow, for 10 miles each way... barefoot. >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

^ Oh God yeah, English Papers I and II in the same day....my poor arm has never gone through that much in such a short space of time.* ALL THE WRITING EVER.

*insert typical randylonghorn joke here. :pac:

AND they changed maths on the Friday to the afternoon as well. All those sleep ins I could have had...

Wait, what? Maths wasn't on the Friday in my day.. I did Maths and Irish - both paper I - on the Thursday, and Irish paper II on the Friday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Aoibheann wrote: »
    We also walked to school through the fields, in the snow, for 10 miles each way... barefoot. >_>
    Ah, yeah, but ... Cavan, like!! >_>
    *insert typical randylonghorn joke here. :pac:
    Well-trained are you, young padawan! :p

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah, but ... Cavan, like!! >_>

I actually did walk to school, incidentally. It just happened to be more like a mile.. And I did have shoes. But still! It happened! :P Then we moved, meaning I had to move schools and I lived approximately 2 minutes from my new one.. Yet was somehow always running late, while I was never late to my old one.. >_<

English paper 2 and Geography last year wasn't nice but I have had worse.

Doing 5 hours straight of exams for my LC mocks was probably the worst.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Doing 5 hours straight of exams for my LC mocks was probably the worst.

Defo have to agree with you there.
    I'd say it was coz we weren't able to leave the feckin exam hall!

Yes, I'm finished. Oh, so I've to sit here and do nothing for an hour when I could be studying??? Ok Sir, nice call!! :pac:

In my case it was a pure fúck up of the timetable. The teacher in charge of the mocks didn't give enough time for the student (me) who had extra time in his exam and it was a long exam (Business), so when Business was finished I was straight into another exam.

In my case it was a pure fúck up of the timetable. The teacher in charge of the mocks didn't give enough time for the student (me) who had extra time in his exam and it was a long exam (Business), so when Business was finished I was straight into another exam.

Typical! I had an extra subject and sure they couldn't have cared less about that like!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Typical! I had an extra subject and sure they couldn't have cared less about that like!

I know the exact feeling. I tried to dispute and I got a whole load of búllshít from the school.

I know the exact feeling. I tried to dispute and I got a whole load of búllshít from the school.

Yeah, the principal didn't really support me taking up chemistry. Grrrr. I actually regret not REALLY pushing my mam to let me move schools when I was in 3rd year. I think that if I'd have gone to a different school and had the chance to take them at LC level I wouldn't be in Science Ed, I'd be doing woodwork and tech graphics Ed tbh.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Yeah, the principal didn't really support me taking up chemistry. Grrrr. I actually regret not REALLY pushing my mam to let me move schools when I was in 3rd year. I think that if I'd have gone to a different school and had the chance to take them at LC level I wouldn't be in Science Ed, I'd be doing woodwork and tech graphics Ed tbh.

It is a hard one to say because I have done practical subjects and they are pretty different and are based around an artefact being presented to an examiner. You might not have liked them and ended up doing Science teaching in Limerick.

I was told by a poster on boards after I accepted my place in UCD that: "Everything happens for a reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I'm gonna fail.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna fail.

Naaa, you're not :)

Advertisement