Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Ya learn Dickinson too like :rolleyes::P

Ah sure isn't a female always guaranteed!

[/temptingfate] :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Dickinson, Boland, Frost, and Rich. Should be sorted. If not feck it! Only 17.5% :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ara sure I only learned Plath for mine and she came up :pac: I did only get a C3 though, so maybe don't take my advice :P

I've a feeling both Dickinson and Boland will come up tomorrow >_> And Yeats and Wordsworth. We'll see how right I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

marko93 wrote: »
    Dickinson, Boland, Frost, and Rich. Should be sorted. If not feck it! Only 17.5% :)

Even better, only 12.5% :D I think they're the ones my sister has done too, I'm trying to convince her to give Wordsworth or Yeats a look over too but of course she knows best! :rolleyes::p

G'luck tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

If Wordsworth doesn't come up tomorrow, i'll cry... CMON WORDSY!!! Also cultural context, please and thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

JC English was OK too, if anyone cares >.>

Go Emma \o/
    lads, is their always a character question on the single text? So like, if i just study all the characters in hamlet, i'd be fine? (last minute cramming!). oh and i'm asking this coz i dont have past papers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Slow Show wrote: »
    JC English was OK too, if anyone cares >.>

What dya call this?! :P
    Buttt...how'd it go? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You taught me language, and my profit on it is I know how to curse.

you go Caliban bbz xXx

Ah sure it went grand, I felt paper 2 was kinda crappy but so did the rest of the country so it's not so bad. If anyone wants a laugh look up the studied poem on English Paper 2 tbh, I spent half my time sitting staring at it, gormless, but I managed to spew out something half-decent. Oh, and I used the word 'plethora' during some part of it. \o/

• Advertisement

Go Emma \o/
    lads, is their always a character question on the single text? So like, if i just study all the characters in hamlet, i'd be fine? (last minute cramming!). oh and i'm asking this coz i dont have past papers :P
    EHm after reading a few past papers you're not always gonna get a character, learn the theme of Revenge for Hamlet, or do a nice little summary and you should be fine :)
    Characters, Summary and a theme, should be ok, at least that's what I'm doing :)

"nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us"

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same"

"Nelly, I am Heathcliff"

GAAAH I'm gonna puke

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    "nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us"

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same"

"Nelly, I am Heathcliff"

GAAAH I'm gonna puke

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."

I love Wuthering Heights. :o

Even better, only 12.5% :D I think they're the ones my sister has done too, I'm trying to convince her to give Wordsworth or Yeats a look over too but of course she knows best! :rolleyes::p

G'luck tomorrow everyone!
    ****, I did 70 instead of 50 >_>
    ah sound 12.5%.. eh ill take like 5% and call it a day!

here anyone be able to throw a view pointers for general vision and viewpoint?
    Thanks ;D
    pretty sure i have theme nailed :)
    also my friends reckon that women will pop up for Hamlet, I have nothing on them ethier, anyone wanna help there aswell? haha :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh dear, apparently third years are going to run home after every exam to make fb like pages about literally every question on the paper. Next two weeks are going to be fun...

"The awkward moment when there's a mistake on the paper and you have to change one word", "The awkward moment when somebody who `is absolutely screwed' writes non-stop until the end of the exam"...

May as well just delete Facebook now and avoid the anguish.

Namlub wrote: »
    Oh dear, apparently third years are going to run home after every exam to make fb like pages about literally every question on the paper. Next two weeks are going to be fun...
    "The awkward moment when there's a mistake on the paper and you have to change one word", "The awkward moment when somebody who `is absolutely screwed' writes non-stop until the end of the exam"...

May as well just delete Facebook now and avoid the anguish.
    Makes me kinda glad i blocked facebook on my laptop till the 16th
    you%20mad.jpg

Oh god, some idiots did the same thing last year with all the junior cert papers.. it's amazing how stupid they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

"Hahaha just ta remind the JC's
    MRS. REECE LAUGHS - Martin Armstrong
    Laughter, with us, is no great undertaking,
    A sudden wave that breaks and dies in breaking.
    Laughter with Mrs. Reece is much less simple:
    It germinates, it spreads, dimple by dimple,
    From small beginnings, things of easy girth,
    To formidable redundancies of mirth."
    Because I'm sure they all forgot in the hour since the exam ended <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Namlub wrote: »

Haha I remember all the ones last year. They were priceless :D But ya its stupid..

• Advertisement

I'd normally hate them but they keep making me laugh tbh, Ms Reece is the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

"Ohhh no, I don't have notes for this, I don't have notes for that, d'you have comparative notes, jumpguy?! Can I borrow them?"

NO PEOPLE, FÚCK OFF, IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU WERE A LAZY **** ALL YEAR AND NEVER TOOK DOWN THE GODDAMN NOTES.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Ugh, English paper 2, the one I dread. Makes me feel sick. I feel like I've been waiting on 5.20pm tomorrow for my whole life. Well, my whole life in Secondary school.

Ugh, English paper 2, the one I dread. Makes me feel sick. I feel like I've been waiting on 5.20pm tomorrow for my whole life. Well, my whole life in Secondary school.
    Sure you'll start writing tomorrow and before you know it it'll be time to leave!
    You'll be fine :)

Ugh. Do I have to do this exam tomorrow? :( the pressure of getting it done in time is gonna be killer.

Ugh. Do I have to do this exam tomorrow? :( the pressure of getting it done in time is gonna be killer.
    Chin up!
    You got this shít.

marko93 wrote: »
    Chin up!
    You got this shít.

i really dont :P

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

Did they really give us a whole piece on cats?!? :p

Sure it went graaand I suppose :) Did text 2 part A cos the questions were nicer and the diary entries on text 3. Just wondering, what did everyone else say/think she was running away from???

Did the personal essay on clothes :D But looking back now, I'd have liked to have tried the modern fairytale tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It will be fine.

Just remember, the examiners are far more interested in what you know than in what you don't know.

Take a few minutes to check the paper properly, don't just go "yeah!! <My FavouritePoet>" and start writing.

Be sure you understand the question.

Look at the questions on the other poets you know reasonably well ... one of the questions may be a lot more straight-forward.

Whichever question you choose, be sure to address it and refer back to it.

A short well-written answer which is to the point will get more marks than 6 pages of waffle which might have made an excellent essay last year but isn't really relevant to the question which is actually asked.

Same approach for any of the questions, though it often seems to be the poetry that people dive into headlong tbh.

Time yourself, attempt each section.

Be strategic; be focused; above all, be calm. Use what you know well, and don't worry about what you don't know.

• Advertisement

i really dont :P
    I have faith in you.
    Everyone fights and no one quits! If you dont do your job i'll shoot you myself!
    greatest quote from Starship Troopers.
    Seriously you got this!
    It will be fine.

Just remember, the examiners are far more interested in what you know than in what you don't know.

Take a few minutes to check the paper properly, don't just go "yeah!! <My FavouritePoet>" and start writing.

Be sure you understand the question.

Look at the questions on the other poets you know reasonably well ... one of the questions may be a lot more straight-forward.

Whichever question you choose, be sure to address it and refer back to it.

A short well-written answer which is to the point will get more marks than 6 pages of waffle which might have made an excellent essay last year but isn't really relevant to the question which is actually asked.

Same approach for any of the questions, though it often seems to be the poetry that people dive into headlong tbh.

Time yourself, attempt each section.

Be strategic; be focused; above all, be calm. Use what you know well, and don't worry about what you don't know.
    All of the above is the best advice people!
    Quality not quanity
    Relevence not waffle :)

Advertisement