Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm a bit late but good luck to all anyway! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

It will be fine.

Just remember, the examiners are far more interested in what you know than in what you don't know.

Take a few minutes to check the paper properly, don't just go "yeah!! <My FavouritePoet>" and start writing.

Be sure you understand the question.

Look at the questions on the other poets you know reasonably well ... one of the questions may be a lot more straight-forward.

Whichever question you choose, be sure to address it and refer back to it.

A short well-written answer which is to the point will get more marks than 6 pages of waffle which might have made an excellent essay last year but isn't really relevant to the question which is actually asked.

Same approach for any of the questions, though it often seems to be the poetry that people dive into headlong tbh.

Time yourself, attempt each section.

Be strategic; be focused; above all, be calm. Use what you know well, and don't worry about what you don't know.

Have you corrected exams before? :P You're so wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Have you corrected exams before? :P
    Yep, including English HL for LC at that! :p

Been a few years though.

Believe me, no examiner wants to wade through the 6 page essay Miss gave an A to last February unless it actually ANSWERS the question!

Be smart, be calm, be strategic.
    You're so wise..
    -.-

GTFO to bed, smartass! :P :P

Yep, including English HL for LC at that! :p

Been a few years though.

Believe me, no examiner wants to wade through the 6 page essay Miss gave an A to last February unless it actually ANSWERS the question!

Be smart, be calm, be strategic.

-.-

GTFO to bed, smartass! :P :P

So say if one (I..) was to see a poetry.question today that I didn't like.. could I disagree and say why ____ is not present, even if it is in some poems? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

So say if one (I..) was to see a poetry.question today that I didn't like.. could I disagree and say why ____ is not present, even if it is in some poems? :P
    If you back it up with evidence from the poems (obvs not the ones that what you're trying to disagree with is in :p) then you should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

(Also a bit late to the party but....)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Seriously, it'll be okay - and even if you really think it isn't, then it's not the end of the world. Take it from someone who killed themselves studying for 2 years, to the point of mental breakdown, got 8 A1s and went on to drop out of college twice... getting high results is not the be all and end all. If I could go back to 5th/6th year and live a more normal life, come out with a decent result and head off to college to do a course I actually WANTED to do, then I would! Look after yourselves because your health and happiness is THE most important thing :)

Things will always work themselves out. After 3 years of starting and stopping college, I think I'm finally going to be starting a course I'm genuinely interested in. I knew dozens of people in my LC year who didn't get the points they wanted, didn't get their no.1 courses and went on to LOVE their 2nd/3rd choices or whatever and be grateful they never got their 1st choice! I also know dozens of people who've dropped out of college over the years, who've given up courses they felt they SHOULD do in exchange for courses they actually WANTED to do - many of which required only miniscule numbers of points.

So just do your best for the next fortnight. Follow the advice that randy laid out above, don't freak out if things don't go your way in the exam hall and try and forget about exams past and focus on the ones to follow. Relax, stay calm and remember that what will be will be - and everything happens for a reason.

Best of luck C&Hers :)

If you back it up with evidence from the poems (obvs not the ones that what you're trying to disagree with is in :p) then you should be grand!

aw unreal, thanks. :) I'm just hoping Boland doesn't come up and that Dickinson does...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

Today is going to be traumatic. That is all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

How long are those essay things supposed to be? D:
    I lost my teachers layout plan ¬_¬

marko93 wrote: »
    How long are those essay things supposed to be? D:
    I lost my teachers layout plan ¬_¬

Single Text should be the same as an essay, so ~4/5 pages, depending on writing!

Comparative should be a bit longer, 5/6

Poetry should be 4ish!

• Advertisement

Single Text should be the same as an essay, so ~4/5 pages, depending on writing!

Poetry should be 4ish!
    Ah sound! :)
    Thanks broseph!

Ugh poetry isnt getting anywhere near 4 ¬_¬
    The LC ruined poetry for me :/

Miranda: DO YOU LOVE ME???????????????/////////////////

DO YOU LUV ME FERDINAND BBZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I shouldn't be this nervous. I was grand yesterday!!!

Miranda: DO YOU LOVE ME???????????????/////////////////

DO YOU LUV ME FERDINAND BBZ?
    Fricken love that play. The film version of it directed by Derek Jarman is delightfully odd. Emphasis on the odd.

And you'll be okay soccy, don't worry!!

I shouldn't be this nervous. I was grand yesterday!!!
    Ah sure you'll be grand!

Fricken love that play. The film version of it directed by Derek Jarman is delightfully odd. Emphasis on the odd.

And you'll be okay soccy, don't worry!!

Our teacher didnt show us it cos apparently it has a lot of nudity >_>

That's putting it mildly!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Poetry should be 4ish!

I wrote no more than 3.5 pages per essay in my LC English. My writing isn't tiny either. Walked out with an A1. It's about quality, not quantity. So long as you don't take the piss and try to get away with a 2 page comparative text essay (for example) you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I wrote no more than 3.5 pages per essay in my LC English. My writing isn't tiny either. Walked out with an A1. It's about quality, not quantity. So long as you don't take the piss and try to get away with a 2 page comparative text essay (for example) you should be grand.

Tooooo late :P

Hope Boland, Frost and Dickinson ended up coming up for them...a lot of people relying on them!

I've a feeling both Dickinson and Boland will come up tomorrow >_> And Yeats and Wordsworth. We'll see how right I am.

Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad :D

Who was on it? (I'm too lazy to check the LC Forum... >_>)

Who was on it? (I'm too lazy to check the LC Forum... >_>)

Boland, Yeats, Dickinson, and Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That should leave the majority pretty happen ... with choices, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I hate William Wordsworth. His lack of showing up has upset a good few people I know...

Ow my hand :(

High 5 to Dickinson though <3333

That was actually such a lovely paper!
    I got lost in the comparative with everything i was writing and had 20 minutes for poetry, but thats ok, i wasnt banking on it anyway ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

No wordsworth...no hopkins... I was literally crying while writing my hamlet essay (i wasn't the only one seeing as my class were practically chanting wordsworth's name as we opened the paper).

Thankfully as i was writing, a few yeats quotes came back to me and luckily it was a really nice question. It wasn't perfect but it was a better effort than what i'd thought i'd produce at the beginning of the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So glad Yeats came up - my friend was banking on him despite the fact he appeared last year. Silly tactics but luckily it paid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Paper 2 went well, besides a small time shortage when doing Frost (so happy he came up) so I had to kinda hastily wrap up my poetry essay (and scribbled in (out of time) quickly underneath, is that okay?)

I also blanked on the name of the poem "The Road Not Taken" and was like "Okay, the poem is in a wood...BYTHEWOODS!" Yes, indeed, I found myself fist-shaking at bythewoods through no fault of her own but picking an unfortunate username. Thankfully I left a blank and it came to me later.

Hamlet essay wasn't what I was expecting, but I think I managed to successfully twist the Claudius question to get in a lot of pre-written stuff, so I was happy with that, as with the Cultural Context question in the comparative.

Happyzzz (now for maths, IT NEVER ENDS!)

• Advertisement

I left paper 2 at 5, my poetry was the best answered, I got tired halfway through Wuthering Heights, and then I just dragged myself through the comparative.. I had 19 pages written at the end..

Advertisement