Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

That went great! Did Claudius, Yeats and Theme/Issue. Couldn't have asked for a nicer paper. Most of the people in my year were very happy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jumpguy wrote: »
    I also blanked on the name of the poem "The Road Not Taken" and was like "Okay, the poem is in a wood...BYTHEWOODS!" Yes, indeed, I found myself fist-shaking at bythewoods through no fault of her own but picking an unfortunate username.
    :D:D

Oh, I don't know, I think blaming bythewoods for everything that goes wrong is a pretty good policy!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Ordinary Maths tomorrow, should be GAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I did the Cultural Context comparative and I think I did so terrible in it! I did the 2nd one with the part (a) and (b) so I figured I'd at least get marks for (a) because there's no comparisons.. And I totally forgot what cultural context meant so I wrote about the sitting and issues with women.. fml

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

marko93 wrote: »
    Ordinary Maths tomorrow, should be GAS.

Not gonna say no to the €20, but I'm giving maths grinds at eight...is there really any point?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Not gonna say no to the €20, but I'm giving maths grinds at eight...is there really any point?!

Mhhhhm :P It'll be easy to pick up marks from the part (c)'s before tomorrow :)

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Mhhhhm :P It'll be easy to pick up marks from the part (c)'s before tomorrow :)

The poor girl is really nervous like. To be fair, since she started with me 8 weeks ago she's come an awful long way. She doesn't need maths or anything, but she has it in her head she's gonna fail.

She's also only doing 6 subjects....what teacher approved that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Our teacher didnt show us it cos apparently it has a lot of nudity >_>
    We saw the 1960's version of Romeo and Juliet that featured boobs in 2nd year. It was class! :P
    I also blanked on the name of the poem "The Road Not Taken" and was like "Okay, the poem is in a wood...BYTHEWOODS!" Yes, indeed, I found myself fist-shaking at bythewoods through no fault of her own but picking an unfortunate username. Thankfully I left a blank and it came to me later.
    We studied that poem in 2nd year. I can still recite it (almost perfectly). Good to know that will be of some use to me in the future.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Course there is! If someone was offering me a crash course for 20blips right now. I'd sure as hell take it!
    If i did work from now till ten. Then again in the morning. I'd ace it... But for feck sake Boards... THERES TOO MANY INTERESTING THINGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Course there is! If someone was offering me a crash course for 20blips right now. I'd sure as hell take it!
    If i did work from now till ten. Then again in the morning. I'd ace it... But for feck sake Boards... THERES TOO MANY INTERESTING THINGS.

Blockkkkk it....seriously, you have months to trawl through boards, but if you have stuff you need to study tonight you better go do it!

Boards was the worst distraction when I was doing the LC. I think it was the first time I ever discovered procrastination...

• Advertisement

Blockkkkk it....seriously, you have months to trawl through boards, but if you have stuff you need to study tonight you better go do it!

Boards was the worst distraction when I was doing the LC. I think it was the first time I ever discovered procrastination...
    But i'm using the Leaving Cert forums for help D:
    And SarahBeep! Said she'd throw some notes together for me D:

But i'm using the Leaving Cert forums for help D:
    And SarahBeep! Said she'd throw some notes together for me D:

:P

Sure thats ok then! :P Just try not to get too distracted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jackobyte wrote: »
    We studied that poem in 2nd year. I can still recite it (almost perfectly). Good to know that will be of some use to me in the future.
    I learnt it off by heart in JC too! :D It'll only be of use if Frost is on your poetry course though. :P (He's not on the LC 2013 course)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Boards was the worst distraction when I was doing the LC. I think it was the first time I ever discovered Procrastination...
    And a very appropriate nickname for him it is, too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I also blanked on the name of the poem "The Road Not Taken" and was like "Okay, the poem is in a wood...BYTHEWOODS!" Yes, indeed, I found myself fist-shaking at bythewoods through no fault of her own but picking an unfortunate username. Thankfully I left a blank and it came to me later.

Unfortunate username? How very dare you? Thousands wish they'd gotten here first.

If nothing else, the very thought of me probably made you think of a whole world of beautiful vocabulary that would put the rest of your classmates to shame.

You're welcome.
    :D:D

Oh, I don't know, I think blaming bythewoods for everything that goes wrong is a pretty good policy!! :pac:

*narrows eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

bythewoods wrote: »
    Unfortunate username? How very dare you? Thousands wish they'd gotten here first.

If nothing else, the very thought of me probably made you think of a whole world of beautiful vocabulary that would put the rest of your classmates to shame.

You're welcome.
    I actually used plethora, I filed it in my bythewoods scrapbook remembered it from your blog ages and ages ago (although I think I used it in the comparative) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I actually used plethora, I filed it in my bythewoods scrapbook remembered it from your blog ages and ages ago (although I think I used it in the comparative) :P

A1 in the bag. For sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ugh poetry isnt getting anywhere near 4 ¬_¬
    The LC ruined poetry for me :/

And funnily enough, the LC was what got me interested in poetry. The combination of a great English teacher and the wonderful writings of Sylvia Plath and T.S. Eliot made it my favourite part of LC English. :)

I heard Yeats came up today, we did him too and I hated him. I thought his poetry was overly sentimental rubbish and he was a complete dickhead. Thank god I never had to write an opinion question on him; "Yeats is a cúnt and teh ghey LOL" probably wouldn't have been A1 standard. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

My favourite word. :cool: Someone should definitely set up a favourite word(s) thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't like Yeats either. He was such a dick. 'Oh look at me, I'll marry this other woman but I'll constantly write poems about Maud Gonne and publish them so that everyone knows what a tortured soul I am. And I'll be a complete snob about my Anglo-Irish background, and flirt with fascism for a while because thats what all the cool writers are doing these days. And then I'll write awful plays about Cuchulainn and make sure they're completely overacted and criticize any form of realism in theatre.'

What a prick. Some of his poetry is good but a lot of it I've come across is absolutely terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

And funnily enough, the LC was what got me interested in poetry. The combination of a great English teacher and the wonderful writings of Sylvia Plath and T.S. Eliot made it my favourite part of LC English. :)

I heard Yeats came up today, we did him too and I hated him. I thought his poetry was overly sentimental rubbish and he was a complete dickhead. Thank god I never had to write an opinion question on him; "Yeats is a cúnt and teh ghey LOL" probably wouldn't have been A1 standard. :p

Bizarrely, Yeats is one of the poets that interests me the most :P [Well, certain poems of his]. Was absolutely ecstatic when he came up today. I would agree though that with a good teacher the LC can be a great gateway into getting interested in poetry. I actually quite enjoyed studying a few of them for the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Leave my bubz Yeats alone. He's awesome.

"I will arise and go now and go to inisfree, a cabin I have built there of clay and wattles made"...or something like that.
    Lads, i'm telling ya, the lake isle of inisfree saved my ass today and I didn't even study it for the LC :pac: thank god for learning off poems for the JC..

My Junior Cert English teacher was the best teacher I've ever had, he made us all love Shakespeare (Merchant of Venice, still remember the quotes!), know how to read into poetry, and how to spell onomatopoeia :')

I LOVED Longley for the LC. So much so that I decided in 5th year he'd be on the paper and he was all I needed. Which he was. Technically >_> Seriously enjoyed his poems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

My favourite word. :cool: Someone should definitely set up a favourite word(s) thread.

PANACEA. That word gives me goosebumps <3

My Junior Cert English teacher was the best teacher I've ever had, he made us all love Shakespeare (Merchant of Venice, still remember the quotes!), know how to read into poetry, and how to spell onomatopoeia :')

I LOVED Longley for the LC. So much so that I decided in 5th year he'd be on the paper and he was all I needed. Which he was. Technically >_> Seriously enjoyed his poems.

I can recite large chunks of Romeo and Juliet and I do so in day to day conversation...

Juliet:
    Cams't thou hither!
    Tell me and wherefore,
    The orchard walls are high and hard to climb
    and the place death, considering who thou art
    if any of my kinsmen find thee here!!

Romeo:
    On love's light wings did I o'erperch these walls
    For stony limits cannot hold love out,
    And what love can do that dares love attempt;
    Therefore thy kinsmen are no let to me.

Carlsberg don't do star crossed romance, but if they did....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Omg can we act do this please?
    And Ill make sure to use one word a day for my 5th and 6th year English essays and questions, be great craic :P

deise_girl wrote: »
    Omg can we act do this please?
    And Ill make sure to use one word a day for my 5th and 6th year English essays and questions, be great craic :P

Not sure your teacher would appreciate the inevitable inclusion of 'fisting' :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Not sure your teacher would appreciate the inevitable inclusion of 'fisting' :p

But, but my chrome extension insists "Hit with or as with the fists or a fist"..
    Altho one these days im going to actually google what the hell yee'r on about :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement

Thanked for reminding me about the fabulous song included in the opening post. :D

Advertisement