Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

So, I sat down to study Irish paper 2.

Popped out my calculator, did a quick estimation of marks, figure I've most likely already passed OL Irish even if I don't show up for paper 2 (but don't worry - I will).

I then went for a walk and meditated on the complexities of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I've calculated my marks on irish paper so far too.. 37% (i wasnt too generous :P). Tomorrow is the day that I shall pass honours irish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm just going to write about Clare Sa Speir for whatever comes up..

Q:"The Cearrbhac Mac Caba was an awful man.. wasn't he?"

A:"Clare had some laugh up in the tree didn't she? xXx"

Then I'm going to end it with something along the lines of:

"Is aoibhinn liom mo scruiditheoir de Gaeilge. Tá sé/sí go h-alainn. Is aoibhinn liom do gruiag, agus do shuile, ta siad an-maith. xxx"

Irish went grand today :) nice paper, no doubt. Think I've passed although I can never be sure :P
    But YAY, I NEVER HAVE TO SPEAK IRISH AGAIN (...Not that i could in the first place but ya..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I've to go sit a Business paper.
    FUUUU.jpg

• Advertisement

OL Irish paper 2. Mixed up Muiris and Tomás, the two shítheads are like Kenan and Kel except far less cool. Mainly, that concludes 8 years of whining about Irish in primary school, 3 years of being forced to learn shít for the JC HL paper by my teachers, and now a rather breezy time in LC OL. Thank God, and I hope those after me enjoy a far better, and more entertaining education in Irish than I got.

Only 4 more papers (have to get an A1 in 3 of them though and a B1+ in one of them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

jumpguy wrote: »
    OL Irish paper 2. Mixed up Muiris and Tomás, the two shítheads are like Kenan and Kel except far less cool.

You mean they're Drake and Josh?

Lovely higher level paper 2! Very similar to the mock exam - the paper had a pretty familiar feel to it.

Now to cram for history.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Muiris Ó Súilleabháin's stuff is great. I'd encourage anyone who isn't totally disillusioned after doing LC Irish to read more of his writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Gealt came up! That alone made my day!!!:D
    Very nice HL paper, hopefully I'll get at least a B1!:)

Muiris Ó Súilleabháin's stuff is great. I'd encourage anyone who isn't totally disillusioned after doing LC Irish to read more of his writing.

Out of interest, would his work be available in most book shops, or would I have to go to a particular place to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Out of interest, would his work be available in most book shops, or would I have to go to a particular place to get it?

The full text of "Fiche Blian Ag Fás" should be available in most places.

"Fiche Blian Faoi Bhláth" was supposed to be the sequel, but I don't think it was ever published.

There's a collection of articles and essays as well, which I was lucky enough to find in the Blasket Island Centre in Dún Chaoin. It's called "Ó Oileán Go Cuilleán (ó Pheann Mhuiris Uí Shúilleabháin)". I reckon that's only available in special interest libraries, and doesn't get re-printed very often either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The full text of "Fiche Blian Ag Fás" should be available in most places.

We just used that as an excuse to watch The Notebook in Irish for a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

A great day for exams! Irish was alright and business was the easiest I've seen in years! 3 more...

5 subjects down 3 to go. I found history grand yesterday - it's pretty challenging in terms of time, but I got it done =).

Now for Physics on Monday, Economics on Wednesday and Applied Maths on Friday and then I'm done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I read a bit more of Fiche Blian ag Fás and thought it was the strangest book ever... They stole sugar from blind people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

****ing ****ting it. Rawr.

Got my genetic cross right in biology. FXCK YA! Nice paper :) *happy dance*

Gonna absolutely EAT economics and chemistry over the next 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You know it's a good sign when you leave biology after 1 hour 30 minutes for a higher level paper..

lol jk.. But I answered everything tbf..

Biology was lurvely. Experiment questions were odd but manageable like, you had to know yore stuff for 'em. DNA, ecology and nephron question were lurrrrvely. It was just all lurrrvely.

3 more papers. C'MOOOOON ENDURANCE!

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    I read a bit more of Fiche Blian ag Fás and thought it was the strangest book ever... They stole sugar from blind people!

You have to read it a bit like you would "Angela's Ashes". As the story is told from the perspective of a child, parts of it are imagined, exaggerated or even invented. Ó Súilleabháin was more of an entertainer is his writing than his fellow islander, Tomás Ó Croimthean, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    You know it's a good sign when you leave biology after 1 hour 30 minutes for a higher level paper..

lol jk.. But I answered everything tbf..

I know the exam hall is silent anyway....but doesn't an awkward silence become a lot more noticeable when someone steps up to leave early?

I actually don't understand people leaving early. I mean, I get that it's a boring few hours. But timing is so tight on most exams, even to pass. If I was a supervisor I know I would have to strongly resist the urge to just take someone by the shoulders, spin them round and gently push them back to their seat. That or smack them one with a T square.

You have to read it a bit like you would "Angela's Ashes". As the story is told from the perspective of a child, parts of it are imagined, exaggerated or even invented. Ó Súilleabháin was more of an entertainer is his writing than his fellow islander, Tomás Ó Croimthean, for example.
    Must read Angela's Ashes...I read 'Tis and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

wayhey wrote: »
    I know the exam hall is silent anyway....but doesn't an awkward silence become a lot more noticeable when someone steps up to leave early?

I actually don't understand people leaving early. I mean, I get that it's a boring few hours. But timing is so tight on most exams, even to pass. If I was a supervisor I know I would have to strongly resist the urge to just take someone by the shoulders, spin them round and gently push them back to their seat. That or smack them one with a T square.
    The timing isn't that tight for a lot of subject, especially the science ones. I think they give way too much time for biology in particular, last year I took my time, answered every question, read through my script and paper twice and still had forty five minutes left. And it's not like I didn't know my stuff and didn't write enough; I got an A1

I know all the teachers and examiners say you should stay till the end just in case, but I think the student knows themselves when they've done all they can. What's the point sitting staring a paper for an hour probably bored or stressing yourself out, when you could be relaxing or studying for your next exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I didn't think biology was hectic tbh...the first section was grand, but I was thrown a little by the experiment questions...and that weird question in ecology completely went over my head! Wtf like I worked so much for biology and I always got A1's. Stupid paper:(

German was definitely the easiest paper I've ever seen, most other people thought so too. Hard to predict a grade for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I too have finished my perilous and soul-destroying exams, which are obviously going to have a catastrophic impact on the remainder of my life.

Nah, that week and a half was actually pretty fun and not too stressful (except for my obsession with totting up marks and losing my mind a little bit) and the smell of paper was just divine, bring on LC! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Sooo...who wants to help me decide what I wanna do next year?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

you should totally do computer science >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well obvious question, but what would you like to do? Something completely different or are you still interested in science?

Advertisement