Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm not totally decided on which course I'm doing yet. It's definitely going to be DIT Cathal Brugha Street though. At the moment I'm leaning towards the 4 year culinary arts degree, which if the points don't change then I'm fine.

Although I may just go for Culinary Arts (professional practice) which is a 2 year level 7 course I think, you can get into second year of the degree once you've completed that. I've something like 150 points to spare for that, so I can't see there being issues in that aspect. There's also a similar course in ITT, but that'd be really awkward to get to for me.

Then there's Baking and Pastry Arts management in DIT too. That sounds awesome, and would be what I'm currently interested in. But then I'd be afraid that if I went into that I'd be pigeon holing myself too much.

So yeah at the moment it's looking like the BA in Culinary Arts (hopefully)

I met somebody, a friend of a friend, who was doing Culinary Arts last year and she said she absolutely loved it. From what she said about it, or more from how enthusiastically she said it, it sounds great Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

My HEAR orientation week was one of the most enjoyable weeks ever! Hope you do get on it Noel :) Going to be a leader at it this year for all the new little NUIM students :p

Yeah I hear it's pretty unreal for making new friends and stuff! My brother got it last year and he made friends in that week who remain to be some of his actual best friends now!

Aww really? I'd love to do the leader thing if I got the opportunity, it's great to be able to help back after the help they offer the students like! :)

Edit, also @Kate, if you're worried about not knowing people I can get my friend to add you on Facebook? :) Like just if you're worried about it or anything! She's hoping to go to DIT too to study Clinical Management! Even if you want to later on in the year or whatever, feel free to ask! She's lovely and would love to know someone too I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I met somebody, a friend of a friend, who was doing Culinary Arts last year and she said she absolutely loved it. From what she said about it, or more from how enthusiastically she said it, it sounds great Kate.

Yeah anyone I've talked to who has done it or is doing it seems to absolutely love it. My brother knows a few people in it so I was chatting to them about it a while ago. I adored the college at the open day too, and I'll get my own fancy knives and uniform (is it bad i'm nearly most excited about the uniform?).

Still no regrets whatsoever about leaving UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

My HEAR orientation week was one of the most enjoyable weeks ever! Hope you do get on it Noel :) Going to be a leader at it this year for all the new little NUIM students :p

What put me off NUIM a bit was the fact that that was compulsory. I got DARE and to be honest, I didn't like the way you had to do it otherwise they withdrew their offer.

Like I have said before; College isn't just solely about the course you do, it is about getting involved and having a good time because your time in college is pretty short and does go quickly, so you have to make the most of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Well if just given up all hope. all hope. stuff the leaving cert and there what ever it is. im bunking the lc. and fecking off outta Ireland.
    Its A) i follow the CAO and go to DIT, LIT or do a plc.
    B) Fook the hole lot and leave. cause personally i cannot do it anymore. screw it. too much stress when i could be sucking upto peeps and getting me sum munny. I wish the best of luck to the rest of ye and ye will all do great.... cause i hope not to see myself back on this tread again. depressing stuff altogether. :(

Hope ye get what ye're looking for.( there's a song that rhymes with that, think i'll look it up. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Well if just given up all hope. all hope. stuff the leaving cert and there what ever it is. im bunking the lc. and fecking off outta Ireland.
    Its A) i follow the CAO and go to DIT, LIT or do a plc.
    B) Fook the hole lot and leave. cause personally i cannot do it anymore. screw it. too much stress when i could be sucking upto peeps and getting me sum munny. I wish the best of luck to the rest of ye and ye will all do great.... cause i hope not to see myself back on this tread again. depressing stuff altogether. :(

Hope ye get what ye're looking for.( there's a song that rhymes with that, think i'll look it up. )

It may not seem that way but the stress is worth it. But good lcuk with whatever you plan on doing. Hope it works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Ooh cool. :)

I'll hopefully get the HEAR scheme, my brother did, so hopefully I will too, which seems like a great addition to the college experience! :)

BEST WEEK EVER!!!! EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

And it doesn't stop there, I'm a student ambassador with the Access office so I go out and talk to 5th year groups about further aducation :)
    And I'm a mentor for firsties!
    SO MUCH CRAIC

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    BEST WEEK EVER!!!! EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

And it doesn't stop there, I'm a student ambassador with the Access office so I go out and talk to 5th year groups about further aducation :)
    And I'm a mentor for firsties!
    SO MUCH CRAIC

I've heard it's mighty craic alright!

And the girl in charge of the accomm is lovely! She said if I get accepted, she'll work out a payment plan to coincide with hear and the grant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Computers in DCU, Maynooth or NUIG.
    See ya'll there.

• Advertisement

I've heard it's mighty craic alright!

And the girl in charge of the accomm is lovely! She said if I get accepted, she'll work out a payment plan to coincide with hear and the grant! :D

Where you staying? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

At the moment I'm going for medicine. Woot! If I don't get it, my second choice is rather ambiguous. Dunno what I'll do. But I'm pretty sure I'll keep moving...really, REALLY hope I get medicine though. But if I don't, c'est la vie, it wasn't meant to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

jumpguy wrote: »
    At the moment I'm going for medicine. Woot! If I don't get it, my second choice is rather ambiguous. Dunno what I'll do. But I'm pretty sure I'll keep moving...really, REALLY hope I get medicine though. But if I don't, c'est la vie, it wasn't meant to be...
    Do maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

unknown13 wrote: »
    What put me off NUIM a bit was the fact that that was compulsory. I got DARE and to be honest, I didn't like the way you had to do it otherwise they withdrew their offer.

Like I have said before; College isn't just solely about the course you do, it is about getting involved and having a good time because your time in college is pretty short and does go quickly, so you have to make the most of it
    I'm pretty sure the orientation week isn't compulsory for DARE students in Maynooth? It wasn't back in my day :confused: I would still recommend that DARE students go to it though (I was one myself too) because having that extra week to get used to campus is good for someone with a disability/SLD :)

Where you staying? :)

Plassey! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

HEAR is a joke and a 1/2 i have dyslexia and a very bad forum of it and they told i was not dyslex i missed out by 0.1 in one of my tests and i ended up in CIT or UCC because of that

Also then i found out that i was not tested right eg only 3 tests post to be 8 tests so your man who tested me baicly destroyed my 1st year in college

Also the Access office is a joke in CIT i had to get a interview just to get the grent for it but you cant use it on anything ! also i went to the opening day for it in CIT and was a bigist waste of time ever when you found out that you got the must points out of 50 or so people and the only one doing a LV 8 at it

I have been moving to multimedia for 1/2 a year now and still dont have a clue what i am doing in the new school year because i got the points but to move is a joke. I be lookey to have everything set up at this speed

So when you do your CAO know what your putting down on it

CIT doesnt offer the HEAR programme...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Probably. All I know is I'd rather be doing Arts in September.

Its not all that great.. its harder than you think it will be.. What subjects are you thinking of doing??

:)

cork*girl wrote: »
    Its not all that great.. its harder than you think it will be.. What subjects are you thinking of doing??

:)

Psychology, Politics, Sociology and Philosophy.

Majoring in Psychology. My Mom has a Masters in it and lectures in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Davidius wrote: »
    Do maths.
    Don't listen to the Maths nerds,do medicine!Where is your first choice for med Jumpguy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

HEAR is a joke and a 1/2 i have dyslexia and a very bad forum of it and they told i was not dyslex i missed out by 0.1 in one of my tests and i ended up in CIT or UCC because of that

Also then i found out that i was not tested right eg only 3 tests post to be 8 tests so your man who tested me baicly destroyed my 1st year in college

Also the Access office is a joke in CIT i had to get a interview just to get the grent for it but you cant use it on anything ! also i went to the opening day for it in CIT and was a bigist waste of time ever when you found out that you got the must points out of 50 or so people and the only one doing a LV 8 at it

I have been moving to multimedia for 1/2 a year now and still dont have a clue what i am doing in the new school year because i got the points but to move is a joke. I be lookey to have everything set up at this speed

So when you do your CAO know what your putting down on it

If you have Dyslexia, why didn't you apply for DARE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

unknown13 wrote: »
    If you have Dyslexia, why didn't you apply for DARE?
    Sorry wrong way around all ways got mixed up by the to but DARE is a Joke

Also No SH.IT CIT does not do any of them. IF i would have got DARE i was in UCC

Plassey! :D

PARTY CENTRAL!!!!! Classy Plassey :rolleyes: Friends of mine lived in 'dirty' thirty last year.

I'm coming to visit when you have your wild housewarming party.

PARTY CENTRAL!!!!! Classy Plassey :rolleyes: Friends of mine lived in 'dirty' thirty last year.

I'm coming to visit when you have your wild housewarming party.

You totally can! I'll make an invite personally! :P

Soccy's going Plassey too! We three shall have beverages!

And you can show us the guy Deise used stalk when he was teaching in her school! :P

You totally can! I'll make an invite personally! :P

Soccy's going Plassey too! We three shall have beverages!

And you can show us the guy Deise used stalk when he was teaching in her school! :P

Beautiful Joe!!

You're really lucky too, you've a 50/50 chance of a brand new house or a one year old house.
    New Plassey is AMAZING.
    We will have many beverages!! All non-alcoholic of course. (:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:)

Beautiful Joe!!

You're really lucky too, you've a 50/50 chance of a brand new house or a one year old house.
    New Plassey is AMAZING.
    We will have many beverages!! All non-alcoholic of course. (:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:)

Aren't they all going to be the same though? :D
    I hope the rooms aren't tiny! :P

Of course.. I'm a pioneer sure :cool:

Aren't they all going to be the same though? :D
    I hope the rooms aren't tiny! :P

Of course.. I'm a pioneer sure :cool:

Let me rephrase that.

You've a 50/50 chance of a new couch or one thats been used for.....getting aqquainted.

The rooms aren't bad! Beds are ****e!

Let me rephrase that.

You've a 50/50 chance of a new counch or one thats been used for.....getting aqquainted.

The rooms aren't bad! Beds are ****e!

Hahha getting acquainted :pac:

I want a new couch so.. :L

Aww.. I'll sleep on the couch sure

• Advertisement

Hahha getting acquainted :pac:

I want a new couch so.. :L

Aww.. I'll sleep on the couch sure

You reeeeeeeeeeally don't wanna sleep on the couch...

Advertisement