Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well obvious question, but what would you like to do? Something completely different or are you still interested in science?

I vote she should change her username to:

ImUnsureAboutChemistry

>_> :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Sooo...who wants to help me decide what I wanna do next year?? :D

Woodwork teaching... cough :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Noelikins, I can't remember where you said it but you do Economics? How is it?

Namlub wrote: »
    Noelikins, I can't remember where you said it but you do Economics? How is it?

Indeed I do. It's grand like, probably the shortest course in the leaving cert! You'd have it covered in under a year! If you're aware of the economic climate/European Union, etc, you'd have no bother with it. :) Most people go in thinking it's going to be all about how the economy actually is, but there's not even a full question on that!

It's mainly all diagrams of markets (ie: monopolostic, ologopolistic, perfect competition, imperfect competition, etc..). Basically you learn off diagrams, like this:

monopolyprofits1.gif

and learn an explanation of the diagram! That's pretty much one whole question, along with a few other bits threw in!

It's divided into 2 parts, micro economics and macro economics. Some people like one, and hate the other, which is usually the way it goes. One side is entirely theory based, with chapters like banking, international trade, the E.U., theories of economics, etc. And the other chapter is pretty much diagram based with chapters on the markets, elasticity, demand and supply and a few others! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

You gonna do eccy, Namlub bbz?

It's kinda awesome. So you should do it tbh.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah I'd say I will, I bought the revision book aaaaages ago and I said I'd teach myself a bit but that hasn't happened so I'll have to start from sixth year...did ye both do it in one year?

Also Noel, that diagram confuzzles me...

Namlub wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say I will, I bought the revision book aaaaages ago and I said I'd teach myself a bit but that hasn't happened so I'll have to start from sixth year...did ye both do it in one year?

Also Noel, that diagram confuzzles me...

Well we had the course covered by October of 6th year, and revision from then on.. I'm still uncertain of some parts of the course but sure! :P >_>

Yeah you'll understand it once you work your way up from Perfect -> Imperfect -> Monopoly -> Oligopoly. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I vote she should change her username to:

ImUnsureAboutChemistry

>_> :P

Cheeky... :p Me is thinking about Arts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

SO...CLOSE...TO...THE...END...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

jumpguy wrote: »
    SO...CLOSE...TO...THE...END...

How many do you have left now?

Physics was grand today, was well prepared for it. Challenging exam, but on the whole fine :).

2 to go :pac:

• Advertisement

How many do you have left now?

Physics was grand today, was well prepared for it. Challenging exam, but on the whole fine :).

2 to go :pac:
    Just chemistry tomorrow! :P

Physics was grand, I was a bit disappointed there was so little nuclear physics on it but otherwise no complaints about it really.

Just chemistry tomorrow! :P

Physics was grand, I was a bit disappointed there was so little nuclear physics on it but otherwise no complaints about it really.

Oh lucky you! :D Best of luck with that :).

Yeah the lack of nuclear physics was surprising, I've never seen an exam with only a half question on modern physics before, but meh things can change I suppose :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Oh lucky you! :D Best of luck with that :).

Yeah the lack of nuclear physics was surprising, I've never seen an exam with only a half question on modern physics before, but meh things can change I suppose :P.

What have you got left? I've two aswell, Construction and Ag Science. Then FREEDOM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Need to do Chemistry and Economics and I'm finished.

I cannot wait. 'coz my mind is shrivelling away to a pea. It can only take so much pointless information :'(

Digits wrote: »
    What have you got left? I've two aswell, Construction and Ag Science. Then FREEDOM!!!

Economics and Applied Maths. It's a pain being done on the last day, but I won't really care about that by the time Friday comes :P

Grrr hurry up economics..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Music is ripping the p*ss at this stage...I need to finish now!!!!

Finished. :)

Chemistry was a challenging but fair enough paper imo. It's probably the science I'm least certain I got an A1 in, sadly. Lots of occasions in that exam where I was a tad unsure.

Oh well, I'll know in August. At the moment, it's good to be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Finished. :)

Chemistry was a challenging but fair enough paper imo. It's probably the science I'm least certain I got an A1 in, sadly. Lots of occasions in that exam where I was a tad unsure.

Oh well, I'll know in August. At the moment, it's good to be free.

I didn't like it! I've been getting As all year in school exams and mocks and I'll be amazed if I get a B1 after yesterday.. I thought there wasn't much organic on the paper at all. Better than last year's one, but still..

Choosing college courses is actually so confusing. I wish it was possible to try science/humanity subjects in first year and then pick!

wayhey wrote: »
    I didn't like it! I've been getting As all year in school exams and mocks and I'll be amazed if I get a B1 after yesterday.. I thought there wasn't much organic on the paper at all. Better than last year's one, but still..

Choosing college courses is actually so confusing. I wish it was possible to try science/humanity subjects in first year and then pick!
    I was hoping for a full water question. Seriously wish I did Q8 (the second organic question) now instead of Q9 (the Le Chatlier's Principle question). When I looked at it first in the exam, I thought it was an addition reaction and I'd be at pains to give and also explain 3 pieces of evidence for an addition reaction.

But no, it was substituition. Silly me. I'd be surprised though if I lost more than 40 marks in the paper, still. :-/

• Advertisement

Finished at last! :D

In around 24 hours I'll know the likelihood I'll get medicine. Since I am the only one in the town (i.e. the world) going for medicine, the lack of hype and drama makes it a much less nerve-racking prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Best of luck, Jumpguy! :D And anyone else who may be waiting for HPAT results, shur they'll be grand ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Good luck Jumpguy!

By my reckoning, I'll find out tomorrow if I get into music school and If I don't I seriously don't know what I'm going to do next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Are they going to contact you directly about it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Good luck Jumpguy

Remember that there is a large amount of backdoors into Medicine, if the HPAT results are not what you need / expect.

So I got 173 in the HPAT, the 72nd percentile. I'm pretty happy, I'm just hoping that the points/HPAT bell-curve will be in line with last year!

(HPAT curve isn't in line with last year though...don't hurt me QoL! I can't stop looking at the beautiful curves... :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Are they going to contact you directly about it? :)
    By post I'd say, don't really know, we'll see. I have my regrets about that day, we shall see I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... don't hurt me QoL! I can't stop looking at the beautiful curves... :( )
    By the sounds of it, it will be challengemaster who will be hurting you!! :D

Now where's that "quotes" thing again?! :pac:

I knew a thread on forum would have been easier!!

/grumbles

• Advertisement

By the sounds of it, it will be challengemaster who will be hurting you!! :D

Now where's that "quotes" thing again?! :pac:

I knew a thread on forum would have been easier!!

/grumbles
    *shakes fist* Damn you randy, you and your filthy mind, I can't keep up with it! :mad: :pac:

But anyway.

After getting my HPAT results and being rather elated last night, deflation quickly set in when I compared it to the curve last year. The HPAT points this year seem to be higher than last year. The reason for this is hard to tell, are repeats pushing the points up or was the standard lower?

Anyway, it looks like the 72nd percentile last year would've been ~165. I'd need 575 in the LC to have a reasonable hope, but the most optimistic estimate for my LC would be 565. There are more places in NUIG and about the same number applying, but if I get medicine, it'll be by the skin of my teeth...I don't see it happening really.

I could go to college next year, repeat the HPAT, and count my first year in whatever course I'm in as premed and enter medicine without paying fees. However, with the 25 extra marks being brought in for HL maths next year (and I don't think those 25 extra marks are gonna be added to my 2011 HL maths score, only LC 2012 and onwards scores), it means that many people doing medicine are gonna have 5 extra marks on me (due to the 5:1 point ratio after 550 LC points for medicine), which is gonna push up the points for medicine next year. This 25 extra marks for HL maths is the biggest load of shít ever frankly, it's just gonna inflate the points proportionally for high-points courses, and make HL maths virtually a matriculation requirement for high-points courses.

I shouldn't have made 550 my aim this year, I should've made 600 my aim. Those 10 points matter so much now.

But anyway, enough moaning, if I want to get into undergraduate medicine, I'll have to repeat my LC next year and HPAT.

So I'm probably gonna be repeating.

Advertisement