Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Sorry to interrupt the celebrations etc.. :P

But see Medicine in TDC, do you need two science subjects or one and an above C in OL Maths?

Yeah, you need two sciences. In most prospective med student cases it's not having chemistry and only having biology that keeps people not being to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Craguls wrote: »
    Yeah, you need two sciences. In most prospective med student cases it's not having chemistry and only having biology that keeps people not being to apply.

I was going to keep Chemistry anyway and do economics instead of Physics but wouldn't mind doing Physics.

So would Physics and Chemistry be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why did I bother sitting the Leaving Cert? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I was going to keep Chemistry anyway and do economics instead of Physics but wouldn't mind doing Physics.

Yeah you could get in with that.

I'm not a med student but I'd imagine that Biology would give you something of an advantage (if even a superficial one) though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Eeeee! Well done everyone! You all did spectacularly :D
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I dunno whether to accept an arts degree offer if I get it, or to look on the vacant places list and see if anything I like is there? >_< So many decisions!! Like is there any way to see previous vacant places lists? :confused:

I think if you accept an offer in round 1, you can still get offered a course that is higher up on your CAO list in round 2? So if you accept Arts on Monday, you might still be offered another course in round 2, but the course would be one further up the list. E.g. if arts was no. 5, you could still get offered no. 1-4 later on if the points for these courses drop :) Check the CAO website/handbook just to make sure, but I think that's what happens. So you never know yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Being a bottler is great. Ya'll jelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Physics FTW! :D

(does that answer anything you're asking..? no..! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Wow great results in here! Logging on to check how you guys have done has made me so happy! And to those who aren't so happy, as many people have already said, there's so many ways of getting where you want to be and hopefully they'll begin to show themselves to you all in the coming days.

It was a happy LC day in my house too. My little sister got 530 and fingers crossed should be safe enough for primary school teaching with that! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well done everyone. For those of you who got what you want, fantastic! :D But those of you who didn't, remember it's not the end of the world. There are always other ways to get what you want; the LC is just one exam, not the be all and end all.

Make sure you all give yourselves a break tonight and celebrate. :)
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Got 575, with the HPAT that's a total score of 728...which will hopefully get me in. Hopefully! Got a lovely unexpected A1 in English. Turns out bythewoods was right. :D

:( I hate people who get higher than I did. *narrows eyes*
    Congrats though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I think today has been one of the sh*ttest days of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

_meehan_ wrote: »

No!! Today has opened doors that otherwise may never have been available to you. Whatever you do next year is going to be a new experience, and you'll meet loads of new awesome people that you may never otherwise have met. You'll get wonderful opportunities and in 5 years time, you'll look back and think, 'I wouldn't change this for the world!'

Today might feel like one of the worst days you've ever had, but it could turn out to be one of the very best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Congrats all who got all the results.
    Got 575, with the HPAT that's a total score of 728...which will hopefully get me in. Hopefully! Got a lovely unexpected A1 in English. Turns out bythewoods was right. :D

I always had a feeling you would be fine. You just didn't believe, hope the CAO is good to you.
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I dunno whether to accept an arts degree offer if I get it, or to look on the vacant places list and see if anything I like is there? >_< So many decisions!! Like is there any way to see previous vacant places lists? :confused:

Noel; In my opinion Maynooth is the best Arts course in Ireland. Nothing wrong with doing arts there or in general. Accept the course and if the vacant places come up you can accept the vacant place and do that course wherever it may be.

Once again congrats to all and take care tonight aswell.

Well done everybody, and commiserations to those who didn't get what they wanted.

It's hard not to feel down when that happens, but there are so many ways to get what you want. Don't worry, it's just a set-back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

CONGRATULATIONS you absolute ledgebox :D So where's no.1 on the aul CAO for medicine?
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Except now he's at the top of the cousin championship of LC points, MUST. BEAT. HIM. But I'm delighted etc. :p Happy days. :)

Ah the cousin championship of LC points! Well, after my last wee cousin got his results today (and did awesome!), I can safely say I've won our championship :P (There was totally a championship happening). IN YO FACE QUEENOFLEON!

(Ah no, love ya really bbz <33333333333333333333333)

I'm so sorry to hear that you're disappointed meehan :( It's not possible to cheer up right now, I know that but when the time comes, I'd like you to read over this little experience I'm about to post.

My friend really, really wanted to do PE teaching when she was in LC. She barely considered anything else cause she had her heart set on that. She worked really, really hard all throughout 5th & 6th year but came out at the end with no where near enough points for the course. She was absolutely devastated and wouldn't leave her room all day. Her brother eventually convinced her to head out that night and it really lifted her spirits and picked her out of her slump.

Monday rolled around and she got offered Arts in NUIG. She accepted it and has just finished the course this May. And guess what? She absolutely loved it. LOVED IT! She had never thought of going to NUIG but found herself really enjoying the college and falling in love with Galway. I always bring up this story for people who are disappointed with results/offers as I think it's the perfect example of how things work out, no matter how bleak the outlook.

And the thing is, there are hundreds of stories like my friends! I'm serious. Once you start a course of some type you'll see people dropping out within months, people switching courses at the end of the year. It's so, so difficult to know what you want to do when you're 18. I got 8 A1s in my LC, yet I've dropped out of college twice already. Several other posters here have switched or dropped out of courses, many of them their 1st choices!

And if you're hell bent on doing something, there are back routes. Another friend of mine wanted medicine but failed to get the points. She repeated and still failed to get in. She did a year of Science in Trinity, did the HPAT one more time and finally got into medicine. It took awhile but she got her dream course in the end. Another person I know recently got accepted into postgrad medicine after completing a Science undergrad. A girl I lived with in 1st year was starting veterinary after already finishing a Zoology degree. Another girl I know didn't get the points for nursing but did a 1 year course in an IT in it and got accepted into the full course in Scotland after that.

I could actually go on with anecdotes forever. Let me just promise you this - in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, you will look back and wonder what all the bloody fuss was about. Too much emphasis is put on the LC, and imperfect system, and it doesn't define what you will do with your life. So I know you're down about it now but hopefully this post can give you some inspiration in the days to come :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Konata wrote: »
    Ah the cousin championship of LC points! Well, after my last wee cousin got his results today (and did awesome!), I can safely say I've won our championship :P (There was totally a championship happening). IN YO FACE QUEENOFLEON!

(Ah no, love ya really bbz <33333333333333333333333)

Booo, who needs to do 8 subjects? Loser tbh ;)

And Meehan, +1 to what Konata said. I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed. See what rolls around on Monday and what the story is then. I can honestly tell you that from being in college, I've heard all the stories of how people got there, and even though its not easy in some cases if you get what you want in the end, it will all be worth it :)

And btw, do whatever you feel like tonight, don't feel like you HAVE to go out if you don't want to. Tbh, the results night is just like any other night out with friends, theres nothing special about it. Do whatever might make you feel a bit better, if thats sitting in and stuffing yourself with icecream then go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

CONGRATULATIONS you absolute ledgebox :D So where's no.1 on the aul CAO for medicine?
    Medicine in NUIG is no.1. :pac:

Medicine in NUIG is no.1. :pac:

I guess I have QoL to thank for this... *shakes fist*

Dublin da place to beeeee maaaaaan! ;_;

(But I really hope you get Galway all the same :D)

I guess I have QoL to thank for this... *shakes fist*

Dublin da place to beeeee maaaaaan! ;_;

(But I really hope you get Galway all the same :D)

Another one to the dark side........mwahahaha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

And jack, sound blud but nah, i kinda changed my mind over time coz i wondered did i want to work with feet and the lower area for the rest of my life? When there was other kinda more diverse options if ya get me. But ya, offers night will prob be the most nervewrecking ever tbh.
    I was only joking soc, I just remember at the time when you said it, thinking it was such a random course to want to do.
    Thanked solely used of the word "ledgebox". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Congrats guys!!!! I got a total of 70 points today wooooooo!

(I only did one subject though :P )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Congrats guys!!!! I got a total of 70 points today wooooooo!

[SIZE="1"](I only did one subject though :P )[/SIZE]
    Why only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Really happy for you mate.Not that I hope you all did really well,but the saga of Jumpguy's quest for medicine is a cornerstone of C&H history.I'm sure you'll do a hell of a job in it.

And hugs for anyone else,good, bad or slightly uncomfortable.It's past you now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Booo, who needs to do 8 subjects? Loser tbh ;)

And Meehan, +1 to what Konata said. I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed. See what rolls around on Monday and what the story is then. I can honestly tell you that from being in college, I've heard all the stories of how people got there, and even though its not easy in some cases if you get what you want in the end, it will all be worth it :)

And btw, do whatever you feel like tonight, don't feel like you HAVE to go out if you don't want to. Tbh, the results night is just like any other night out with friends, theres nothing special about it. Do whatever might make you feel a bit better, if thats sitting in and stuffing yourself with icecream then go for it! :)

Thanks a mil Konata and QoL, ye're all so wise:P I already know I'll be doing Arts, that's what I'll be offered on Monday.

I didn't even do badly like, I just had expectations of myself, and due to freak outs etc during the exams, I didn't fulfil those expectations. Nothing can prepare you for the soul destroying feeling of getting a crap grade in a subject that you've been told you could make a career out of. It'll take a while to get over that. I hold awful grudges against myself!:rolleyes:

I didn't go out tonight. I couldn't face it. All my friends got what they wanted..all except me..

I got an A in music though \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

There's away around EVERYTHING.

I missed out by 100 points for my course in DCU in 2009! I did a PLC course soon after for the year and I'm going into 2nd of DCU year this october.

Chin up meehan and to others who didn't get what they wanted.

Thanks a mil Konata and QoL, ye're all so wise:P I already know I'll be doing Arts, that's what I'll be offered on Monday.

I didn't even do badly like, I just had expectations of myself, and due to freak outs etc during the exams, I didn't fulfil those expectations. Nothing can prepare you for the soul destroying feeling of getting a crap grade in a subject that you've been told you could make a career out of. It'll take a while to get over that. I hold awful grudges against myself!:rolleyes:

Well tbh, if you have an interest in a subject and you think you want to work in that area, your LC results are nothing to go by! You could be excellent at English and become a brilliant English teacher but due to subjectivity of examiners, exam pressure, bad teachers etc the actual LC result may not be great...

If you're happy doing Arts, take it, you'll do great at it, and there are loads of ways to do other things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

^^ what QoL said. There's people in my course (science) who did shíte in physics or chemistry in the Leaving, but they're now consistently among the top students in my class :)

The Leaving's not the be-all and end-all. It's only afterwards that you realise what the heck was the fuss all about.

Well tbh, if you have an interest in a subject and you think you want to work in that area, your LC results are nothing to go by! You could be excellent at English and become a brilliant English teacher but due to subjectivity of examiners, exam pressure, bad teachers etc the actual LC result may not be great...

If you're happy doing Arts, take it, you'll do great at it, and there are loads of ways to do other things :)

Oh so very true! In fact, it was just this afternoon that I read something relevant to this in one of the papers. It was one of those "When I did my LC..." articles with Niamh Greene who is an Irish author. She said in it that she was so disappointed she didn't get an A1 in LC English cause everyone expected her to and it was her best subject. She started an English degree in UCD and the first thing a lecturer told her class was to "forget about whatever you got in your LC English as it is NO indication as to how good a writer you are" - and now she's an author!

So yea, grades aren't a reflection on your ability in an area and it certainly shouldn't put you off a career. I really liked that little piece in the paper cause it's just so, so true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

*hugs* The exact same thing happened to me when I did my LC - I got As in English all through 5th and 6th year and it was my best subject by far. But on the day of the exam I just freaked out; the pressure got to me and I ended up getting a C3, which was unbelievably disappointing >.<

I ended up not getting the points for my first choice and getting offered Arts as well. And I picked English as one of my subjects too, because I love it. And now I have a degree in it :D

So what I'm trying to say is, don't worry! You will get to where you want to be :) it might take a little bit extra work, but you'll get there if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

flyswatter wrote: »
    Why only one?

I did my LC in 2010, just did honours irish this year ! I wanted to have primary teaching as a back up this year if I didn't get my course in the U.K and I did ordinary level irish in 2010 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Beginning to get nervous for Monday now. With 728 I'm optimistic but that voice in my head saying "it's not definite" is getting louder and louder. :-/

Advertisement