Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

Do people think the points for medicine are going to go up?? i have 727 overall and i'm really hoping to get cork!! would appreciate ye're opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

jumpguy wrote: »
    Beginning to get nervous for Monday now. With 728 I'm optimistic but that voice in my head saying "it's not definite" is getting louder and louder. :-/

Hey, jumpguy, guess what? We got the same Leaving Cert/ HPAT points (with a gap of a few years)

We can be the 728 club! THE 728 TEAM! WOOOOOOOH!!!

(For what it's worth, I know you're obviously worried that points will go up, but with results THAT EXCELLENT I'm sure you'll be safe. Rootin' for ya!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Good luck tomorrow kiddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

It feels like Christmas eve.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Goodbye life of a college drop out, hello culinray arts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The 728 team ain't what it used to be, they're letting all sorts of riff-raff in these days. :-/ 729 are the new high-fliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

It feels like Christmas eve.:)

So im not the only one with that feeling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

THIS GOES OUT TO DAVIDIUS.

I've Maths as a first year subject. Be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Didn't get offered primary teaching even though I have 50 points above it and a C1 in honours Irish. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    THIS GOES OUT TO DAVIDIUS.

I've Maths as a first year subject. Be proud.
    So do a lot of people, I'd be surprised if you didn't.

• Advertisement

Davidius wrote: »
    So do a lot of people, I'd be surprised if you didn't.

Yeah but I've lots of maths subjects.. lots and lots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Just accepted Arts in UCC. Kinda sad that I'm not accepting the course I had my heart set on.

Oh wells. College \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

It was a close one but I got my course :P

So happy and excited! Finally feel like I can make a proper go of this college malarkey. Congrats to everyone this morning! <3

Didn't get offered primary teaching even though I have 50 points above it and a C1 in honours Irish. :confused:

Honours Irish I presume? Do you meet all the matriculation requirements of the college? That sometimes catches people. If you've double checked and triple checked those, contact the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Konata wrote: »
    It was a close one but I got my course :P

So happy and excited! Finally feel like I can make a proper go of this college malarkey. Congrats to everyone this morning! <3

Honours Irish I presume? Do you meet all the matriculation requirements of the college? That sometimes catches people. If you've double checked and triple checked those, contact the CAO.

Congrats!

Yup, honours Irish. I've got all the other requirements aswell! I'm not going to do primary teaching anyways but it's annoying -what if I did want to do it! I bet it's because I only did honours irish this year on it's own and they haven't put it together with my results. And it should be okay cause I checked it out! I'm not going to bother ringing them but the whole principle of it is frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

First time posting in this thread since the exams =P, am off to TCD next month! Horray :D (Economics/Maths). Hope things worked out for all you other C+H people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yes! After two long, hard years of work, I finally got the jam-making course I've been dreaming about! All those hours in the library paid off...

(we're going to UL baby)

So.. it turns out the first year of my degree is a general science degree.. This is scary.. :(

So.. it turns out the first year of my degree is a general science degree.. This is scary.. :(

I thought you were doing an Arts degree?:confused:

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I thought you were doing an Arts degree?:confused:

Nopee got offered the one above it! B.sc in multimedia, mobile, and web development, but I kinda never read the entire description. :p Turns out in 2nd year I chose either multimedia, or general science.

I've to pick 2 of:

Experimental physics
    Mathematical physics
    Biology
    Chemistry

I'm thinking of doing experimental physics and biology..

Nopee got offered the one above it! B.sc in multimedia, mobile, and web development, but I kinda never read the entire description. :p Turns out in 2nd year I chose either multimedia, or general science.

I've to pick 2 of:

Experimental physics
    Mathematical physics
    Biology
    Chemistry

Ooooohhhh good luck with that! I'm sure you'll be grand anyway:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I've to pick 2 of:

Experimental physics
    Mathematical physics
    Biology
    Chemistry

Eww, Biology. Chemistry (or Experimental Physics) and Maths Physics ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Shush you! Biology is great, it's got like, cells and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I've to pick 2 of:

Experimental physics
    Mathematical physics
    Biology
    Chemistry

If you end up not liking it you can always transfer into Arts if you have the points! There's loads of science heads on the NUIM forum anyway if you're in need of help :p

Lawliet wrote: »

Yeah I'm thinking of doing Exp Physics and maybe Biology.. or Chemistry.. I'm not sure :P

Lawliet wrote: »
    Eww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

I've to pick 2 of:

Experimental physics
    Mathematical physics
    Biology
    Chemistry

Of those subjects maths physics will be the most beneficial followed by experimental physics. Dont see why you would do biology or chemistry :confused:

Of those subjects maths physics will be the most beneficial followed by experimental physics. Dont see why you would do biology or chemistry :confused:
    Some people just have no taste.

Maths>Physics>Chemistry>Biology

But I did OL Maths for my LC? I got an A but like wouldn't it be really difficult?

But I did OL Maths for my LC? I got an A but like wouldn't it be really difficult?

It depends on the Maths tbh, but bear in mind that the person teaching you will actually fully understand the subject and probably be able to explain everything better than your secondary school teacher, and the means of teaching it will be less "learn this" and more explanations. I know a girl who got a B in OL maths (not sure what grade of B though) who is currently doing Maths as one of her main subjects in an Arts degree in Maynooth. If you found OL quite easy I'd say there is no reason not to go for it, if you like maths.

• Advertisement

It depends on the Maths tbh, but bear in mind that the person teaching you will actually fully understand the subject and probably be able to explain everything better than your secondary school teacher, and the means of teaching it will be less "learn this" and more explanations. I know a girl who got a B in OL maths (not sure what grade of B though) who is currently doing Maths as one of her main subjects in an Arts degree in Maynooth. If you found OL quite easy I'd say there is no reason not to go for it, if you like maths.

Yeah I found OL really easy! I dropped HL because my teacher was crap (and I hated theorems.. I prefer working stuff out, not learning off lines >.<). I'll attend a few lectures of it, and if I like it, I'll probably take up Exp Physics and Mathematical Physics. Thanks. :)

Advertisement