Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Yeah I found OL really easy! I dropped HL because my teacher was crap (and I hated theorems.. I prefer working stuff out, not learning off lines >.<). I'll attend a few lectures of it, and if I like it, I'll probably take up Exp Physics and Mathematical Physics. Thanks. :)

There's no theorums in HL :P

Did you do physics for the LC? Because college science is very different to second level science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

My depression at not getting medicine this year has resided for now, and my dad has assured me repeatedly today that if I start another course this year and switch into medicine next year I don't need to worry about the full fees we'd have to pay. Until today, I thought it was medicine or nothing this year, which made the year ahead of me look super dull. But not now!

I'm going into dentistry in UCC! And I am very excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    There's no theorums in HL :P

Did you do physics for the LC? Because college science is very different to second level science.

Are you sure? I'm almost dead certain my teach did theorems. :confused:

Nope I didn't do physics!

Are you sure? I'm almost dead certain my teach did theorems. :confused:

Nope I didn't do physics!

Wow, your teacher really WAS Sh*t! :D

Make sure if you're doing physics you take it seriously from the start, it can be tough if you don't grab it by the balls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Wait, there most certainly are theorems in the HL Maths course. Maybe not project maths, but there was the perp. distance one, De Moivre, among several others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Wait, there most certainly are theorems in the HL Maths course. Maybe not project maths, but there was the perp. distance one, De Moivre, among several others...

I think what are being referred to are proofs of theorems. I don't remember any proofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Aoibheann wrote: »

Just gonna point out that I did say this to Sarah first, like a whole 10 minutes ago! :P

I've certainly had proofs of all the theorems I've mentioned as well as others.

I think what are being referred to are proofs of theorems. I don't remember any proofs.

This is what I meant :P Thanks ES!!

Ciara from now on your are called eagle eyes!!

But yeah, 95% sure there are no proofs to be done out like in JC! I know they're in the pass paper alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

This is what I meant :P Thanks ES!!

Ciara from now on your are called eagle eyes!!

But yeah, 95% sure there are no proofs to be done out like in JC! I know they're in the pass paper alright!

There defo are.. Like you have to be able to do all the steps to get to the stuff... Promise! :P

• Advertisement

I had to prove the recurrence relation one in my year. The perp. distance proof is examinable, to the best of my knowledge, as are the others.

From the syllabus: "*De Moivre’s theorem: proof by induction for n∈Z" for one particular example.

There defo are.. Like you have to be able to do all the steps to get to the stuff... Promise! :P

To solve a problem? Yeah :P sure that's what maths is about!

You don't have to prove that two triangles are equiangular show the length of the corresponding sides are proportional but you might have to use trigonometry to find sides/angles.

Btw, I could totally be wrong, it's been 2 years since I held an honours maths paper let alone looked at it! Either that or I have it in my head that a proof is the set page or so of a diagram and whatever else you have learned off as opposed to actually proving something, if ya get me??

I'd like to point out that students have to know how to derive the sum rule, product rule and quotient rule from first principles, as well as the differential rule, which are all full-blown "theorems", and thus there are 4 theorems to prove in the calculus section alone.

Ciara can do NO WRONG!!

This just proves I should never be let teach Honours Maths at LC level!!

Well... nobody without a maths degree should be!

Edit: (Although this may not exactly be practical at any given point in time, it's certainly my ideological opinion).
    Edit: And you know... equivalent fields, such as Theoretical Physics.

Well... nobody without a maths degree should be!

Maths kinda comes free with my degree....

What's your degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'd like to point out that students have to know how to derive the sum rule, product rule and quotient rule from first principles, as well as the differential rule, which are all full-blown "theorems", and thus there are 4 theorems to prove in the calculus section alone.

WOOO I LOVE DIFFERENTIATION.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

WOOO I LOVE DIFFERENTIATION.

My dear...you have confused me so much over the past 6 months with your combinations of universities and courses :p Never woulda pegged you as a Maths kiiiiiid :p

UCC Arts. About friggin time :D Soooooooo friggin happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

My depression at not getting medicine this year has resided for now, and my dad has assured me repeatedly today that if I start another course this year and switch into medicine next year I don't need to worry about the full fees we'd have to pay. Until today, I thought it was medicine or nothing this year, which made the year ahead of me look super dull. But not now!

I'm going into dentistry in UCC! And I am very excited :D

Same here :)

• Advertisement

conorstuff wrote: »

What's your degree?

Biological sciences with physics with concurrent teacher education

Well if you're a good teacher and you've some college maths I guess you'll be one of the better maths teachers in the country, even without a specific maths degree.

That course is a mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Anyone know what final round offers for medicine in NUIG in 2009 were? I can find 2010 info easily, but not 2009. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

jumpguy wrote: »
    Anyone know what final round offers for medicine in NUIG in 2009 were? I can find 2010 info easily, but not 2009. :mad:

I think something like 715 or even 713

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyberpear

712*

conorstuff wrote: »

That course is a mouthful.

It doesn't even fit on my ID card!

cyberpear wrote: »
    712*
    Is that first round, second round or final round? :confused: Qualifax only shows first/second round.

Is that first round, second round or final round? :confused: Qualifax only shows first/second round.

Final round

cyberpear wrote: »
    Final round
    Where did you get them stats?

• Advertisement

Where did you get them stats?

I happened to have Examiner supplement from Jan 2010 showing 2009 Rd 1, Final Rd and Median points in front of me!

Advertisement