Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

My depression at not getting medicine this year has resided for now, and my dad has assured me repeatedly today that if I start another course this year and switch into medicine next year I don't need to worry about the full fees we'd have to pay. Until today, I thought it was medicine or nothing this year, which made the year ahead of me look super dull. But not now!

I'm going into dentistry in UCC! And I am very excited :D

Delira for you ;) I'll save the notes for you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamie-obraonain

JamieDOC wrote: »
    My depression at not getting medicine this year has resided for now, and my dad has assured me repeatedly today that if I start another course this year and switch into medicine next year I don't need to worry about the full fees we'd have to pay. Until today, I thought it was medicine or nothing this year, which made the year ahead of me look super dull. But not now!

I'm going into dentistry in UCC! And I am very excited :D

Same here :)
    I'm in the same boat! Delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amJam

I'm in the same boat! Delighted :D

I'd just like to point out that if you're all going into UCC, there'll be three James-related names in your year of 20 odd people.....that woon't be confusing at all :p

Congratulations though!! See y'all in Brookfield! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

amJam wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that if you're all going into UCC, there'll be three James-related names in your year of 20 odd people.....that woon't be confusing at all :p

Congratulations though!! See y'all in Brookfield! :D

Well spotted! I thought I was finished with people saying "Hey James!" from across the room and never being the only one to respond :P

Does anyone know if there are really close to just 20 places for each year of dentistry in UCC? (I don't trust this amJam one :P But I had heard that the class was small...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amJam

Well JimJam, as I mentioned earlier, it says on the UCC website that there's an 80-chair facility as part of the training material, so I don't trust amJam either :P

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/medicinehealth/dentistry/

I'm not sure if there'd be 80 in the year though, as most of your time would be spent in Brookfield, surely? If anyone knows anything, please do contribute :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

Well JimJam, as I mentioned earlier, it says on the UCC website that there's an 80-chair facility as part of the training material, so I don't trust amJam either :P

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/medicinehealth/dentistry/

I'm not sure if there'd be 80 in the year though, as most of your time would be spent in Brookfield, surely? If anyone knows anything, please do contribute :D

I just found this, it's a few years old but it couldn't be much different this year sure, 62 places between both colleges?
    http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/collegechoice.asp?id=4479

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Only 3? Pfft! Try 5 Jack's in a class of 30 for my JC. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

*breaths*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jumpguy wrote: »
    *breaths*
    I could suggest another activity calculated to help you relax, but I'd probably be banned ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I could suggest another activity calculated to help you relax, but I'd probably be banned ... >_>

Hey, you're the rec mod...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey, you're the rec mod...
    You think that will stop Kate going for the wooden spoon?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You think that will stop Kate going for the wooden spoon?! :pac:

Whatever you're into I suppose..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Whatever you're into I suppose..........
    seems a bit tame for randy, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I went to view my papers earlier..I'm getting music appealed because the corrector added my marks wrong for a question, and I got docked 10 marks by mistake. 10 marks = 5% in this exam, therefore...I should be looking at an A1.

I got an A2 overall in my Irish papers:eek: Got full marks in Stair na Gaeilge, but I reckon I must have been brought down a percent or two because of my oral, even though my oral went well..it's all subjective I suppose.:(

Fcukin biology:mad: I had a B3 in biology, and then your wan went back through my paper and took another 3 marks off me..so I missed out on my B3 by a quarter of a percent:( You'll never guess what she took the 3 marks off for though...because I said "not dependent on" instead of "independent of" when phrasing my answer, even though it was right!:mad:

The system is sh*te lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I went to view my papers earlier..I'm getting music appealed because the corrector added my marks wrong for a question, and I got docked 10 marks by mistake. 10 marks = 5% in this exam, therefore...I should be looking at an A1.

I got an A2 overall in my Irish papers:eek: Got full marks in Stair na Gaeilge, but I reckon I must have been brought down a percent or two because of my oral, even though my oral went well..it's all subjective I suppose.:(

Fcukin biology:mad: I had a B3 in biology, and then your wan went back through my paper and took another 3 marks off me..so I missed out on my B3 by a quarter of a percent:( You'll never guess what she took the 3 marks off for though...because I said "not dependent on" instead of "independent of" when phrasing my answer, even though it was right!:mad:

The system is sh*te lads!!

Something very similar happened to me in Chemistry when I did the Leaving Cert. I feel your pain!

Something very similar happened to me in Chemistry when I did the Leaving Cert. I feel your pain!

It doesn't seem rational that phrasing of a question could merit a change of grade tbh..I'm getting it rechecked anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

_meehan_ wrote: »
    It doesn't seem rational that phrasing of a question could merit a change of grade tbh..I'm getting it rechecked anyway!
    Unfortunately that happens quite a bit in biology, when I did the leaving cert in 2009 I was given zero on a short question because I'd used the word "consumed" instead of "eats". Never mind I had every other part of the sentence word for word like it was in the marking scheme, or that consumed is just another way of saying to eat! Nope, totally wrong as far as they were concerned. The sickening part is I was one mark off an A2

Totally not still bitter about this.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Unfortunately that happens quite a bit in biology, when I did the leaving cert in 2009 I was given zero on a short question because I'd used the word "consumed" instead of "eats". Never mind I had every other part of the sentence word for word like it was in the marking scheme, or that consumed is just another way of saying to eat! Nope, totally wrong as far as they were concerned. The sickening part is I was one mark off an A2

Totally not still bitter about this.

Lousy:eek: I said "not dependent on" instead of "independent of".

Feckers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I know I'm going insane when I'm vibing with a Lady Gaga song...<_<

But I am! :(

(Although actually on a relisten, I'm fairly sure "glory" is a metaphor for an orgasm...lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

PLC dosent start till the 20th.. Only 3 days in, possibly 4. HA!
    This year will be gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

marko93 wrote: »
    PLC dosent start till the 20th.. Only 3 days in, possibly 4. HA!
    This year will be gas.

Won't you have work experience as well?

Robby91 wrote: »
    Won't you have work experience as well?
    Just one day, so etheir way, a long weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Just one day, so etheir way, a long weekend
    Fecker :P I had 4 days of PLC then the day of work experience - it was grand, in fairness, and I had completed the work experience by March (had to do 20 days, although I think 15 days is the minimum FETAC requirement so you may get off easier than I did) but it would've been nice having that Friday off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone else get their college timetables? Not in till 1pm on Thursdays, hello Wednesday nights out :P

Robby91 wrote: »
    Fecker :P I had 4 days of PLC then the day of work experience - it was grand, in fairness, and I had completed the work experience by March (had to do 20 days, although I think 15 days is the minimum FETAC requirement so you may get off easier than I did) but it would've been nice having that Friday off :(
    I'm hoping it will be a good year! Like the day off will be nice, but it'll be put to alot of use. I need to get my distinctions!

Advertisement