Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Should I be putting my LC-related arghs here? If so, my moaning will probably be my greatest input until this is done. :P

EDIT: Mixed feelings about going back tomorrow. Although I got quite a bit done this holidays, it wasn't as much as I planned. I wanna move on and go back to school but I wish I had more time. :pac: How's everyone else about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

jumpguy wrote: »
    Should I be putting my LC-related arghs here? If so, my moaning will probably be my greatest input until this is done. :P

EDIT: Mixed feelings about going back tomorrow. Although I got quite a bit done this holidays, it wasn't as much as I planned. I wanna move on and go back to school but I wish I had more time. :pac: How's everyone else about it?

I don't have to go in tomorrow! :) Going to Cork with my friend for a college interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I don't have to go in tomorrow! :) Going to Cork with my friend for a college interview!

Cork is raining like a tank atm just to warn you. But enjoy the trip down :D

Cork is raining like a tank atm just to warn you. But enjoy the trip down :D

Ah sure, it'll be grand! My brother's going back tomorrow anyways, so me and my friend are just gonna go with my mam! We're gonna trash Castlewhite while we're there.. :)

Yeah it's pissing all day here too, kinda glad, the aule rain is relaxing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ah sure, it'll be grand! My brother's going back tomorrow anyways, so me and my friend are just gonna go with my mam! We're gonna trash Castlewhite while we're there.. :)

Lovely :pac: Stay away from Vic Lodge, I'm warning ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I had forgotten that I'm actually doing the Irish LC exam in a little over a month. Woo study time ! I'm very annoyed now though because my Mom through away a very good issue of Foinse by accident :( Damn the lack of archives on the web, *shakes fist*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Put the new music course linked with DIT down on the cao as no.1. It's to make as serious a go at the music as I can. It's the dublin version of BIMM. There will be a good few famous musicians lecturing I've heard.

Science Choice in UL for no.6 (after all the medicines)? Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I'm not sure if I should be asking here or over in the LC forum but...

Does anyone know what the story would be for using past LC results for CAO applications this year? So long as you're not a mature applicant, would the application be treated like a current LC student's application, or is there some different process if you aren't sitting the LC this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Robby91 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I should be asking here or over in the LC forum but...

Does anyone know what the story would be for using past LC results for CAO applications this year? So long as you're not a mature applicant, would the application be treated like a current LC student's application, or is there some different process if you aren't sitting the LC this year?

That's what I'm doing. Seeing as it'll be decided on points, it's the same as current LC applicants, you get the offers with them. You just need to put the year you did the leaving and your exam number.

kateos2 wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing. Seeing as it'll be decided on points, it's the same as current LC applicants, you get the offers with them. You just need to put the year you did the leaving and your exam number.
    Oh, that's great :) I should be safe enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Robby91 wrote: »
    Oh, that's great :) I should be safe enough then.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I'd done it right because my results weren't showing up on line, but I got the letter thing today confirming everything and my results were on it.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn't sure if I'd done it right because my results weren't showing up on line, but I got the letter thing today confirming everything and my results were on it.
    I'd gotten the letter a few days ago, but it was a chat with one of my classmates today that got me thinking about how the offers work when there's multiple sets of results to work off.

From what I can gather from the CAO handbook (it probably would've been smart of me to check there first :o ), I think FETAC applicants get the first places then everyone else. Hopefully the FETAC and LC results are assessed separately (or, if only one is used to determine if you get an offer, I hope it's my LC results :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Noel; I saw a thread in the TCD forum about the Social Work course in TCD. Thought I would let you know about it, since you are looking at that course.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Noel; I saw a thread in the TCD forum about the Social Work course in TCD. Thought I would let you know about it, since you are looking at that course.

Thanks! :) Yeah I read it!

I changed my mind.. again though! :o Now I've Law Plus in UL first!

Thanks! :) Yeah I read it!

I changed my mind.. again though! :o Now I've Law Plus in UL first!

Law? You'd make a good lawyer I'd say. Practice debating in front of people and practice speeches in front of the mirror.

People have the perception that law is an easy way to get rich.

Like medicine takes a lot of work to start off with, working under other lawyers.

Lads. Question here.

Where the fúck can I do German in medicine without UCD Horizons?!

Lads. Question here.

Some girl in my careers class asked the guidance woman about it..

She was all like "..bla..bla..bla you can do it in most universities.. but you won't get a degree from it, it'll just have to coincide with your own degree.. bla.. bla.. bla.." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Lads. Question here.

I know it is possible in Trinity. It is definitely possible in UCD with the elective system.

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    I know it is possible in Trinity. It is definitely possible in UCD with the elective system.
    Hmmmmmmm, damn, really annoying NUIG or UCC don't seem to offer it. Dublin gets everything. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, you can pick German as an elective-y thing in 1st med in Trinners. It's a 5 credit module thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yeah, you can pick German as an elective-y thing in 1st med in Trinners. It's a 5 credit module thing.

Instead of that ridiculous arts medicine module? :O

That module entertained me far to much....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Fad wrote: »
    Instead of that ridiculous arts medicine module? :O

That module entertained me far to much....

I AM IMMUNITY

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I AM IMMUNITY

MY IMMUNITY IS SO HARD

IMMUNE SYSTEMS ARE SO COOL.

/awkward silence after this..

IMMUNE SYSTEMS ARE SO COOL.

/awkward silence after this..

I should clarify, A(UNDERSCORE)Neurotic had to write a poem about immunity for some module he was doing in medicine.

Him and I wrote one in a pub one night, it didn't get handed in somehow...

Fad wrote: »
    I should clarify, A(UNDERSCORE)Neurotic had to write a poem about immunity for some module he was doing in medicine.

Him and I wrote one in a pub one night, it didn't get handed in somehow...

Here was me thinking Medicine was harder than arts >_>

If anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

If I fail any exams this semester and I want to change college next year will I have to pay more fees?

Switching to a Level 8 course from a Level 7. Will I pay the normal fees if I pass my repeat exams in the case of failing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hmmmmmmm, damn, really annoying NUIG or UCC don't seem to offer it. Dublin gets everything. :mad:

You can do a 2 year French or Irish diploma in NUIG alongside a degree, they do classes in the evening and then exams at the end of each semester. It'd be worth checking if they do a German one.

Advertisement