Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

flyswatter wrote: »
    If anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

If I fail any exams this semester and I want to change college next year will I have to pay more fees?

Switching to a Level 8 course from a Level 7. Will I pay the normal fees if I pass my repeat exams in the case of failing?

Are you changing completely to a different course, ie, reapplying through the CAO?

Afaik, if you are reapplying you have to pay first year fees for the new course. However, I only know thats the case for swapping from a level 8 to another level 8, no idea how it works with a level 7.

If you were transferring into a similar course, without doing the CAO again, it'll depend on this years results. I think you would have to pass this year outright, not with repeats, as the repeat results wouldn't be out til September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Some girl in my careers class asked the guidance woman about it..

She was all like "..bla..bla..bla you can do it in most universities.. but you won't get a degree from it, it'll just have to coincide with your own degree.. bla.. bla.. bla.." :)

To have a qualification in something it must be 20%+ of yoour degree AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    To have a qualification in something it must be 20%+ of yoour degree AFAIK
    Think it's 30% actually - although that may just be for the purposes of teaching a subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

It starts a month today.. *cue scary music*

Think it's 30% actually - although that may just be for the purposes of teaching a subject :)

I'm doing teaching and we were told 20% :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ah right, must just have my numbers mixed up!

Ah right, must just have my numbers mixed up!

Either that or the Dept. of Education and Professional Studies in UL has lied to me.....again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Teaching Council says a subject must be at least 30% of of your degree in order for it to be recognised as a subject you can teach by them, if I remember correctly. I don't want to be a teacher, but I checked out all my options for careers from my course! >_>

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Teaching Council says a subject must be at least 30% of of your degree in order for it to be recognised as a subject you can teach by them, if I remember correctly. I don't want to be a teacher, but I checked out all my options for careers from my course! >_>

So yes, EPS did lie to me!

Edit: And my degree looks terrible. My teaching degree. Oh great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Just go and shout at them.. Or double check! I'm only going by the Teaching Council website, but they're useless from what I've heard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Made a major ommission on my CAO application :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Bleh... finally clarified that thing up about whether I get one opportunity at an offer based on the better set of results or multiple opportunities based on the different examinations that I've sat with the CAO, and it would seem I only get one opportunity (which only seems fair when I think about it).

Sadly though, they didn't answer my question about amending my application to add FETAC to my list of examinations... feckers :mad:

Robby91 wrote: »
    Sadly though, they didn't answer my question about amending my application to add FETAC to my list of examinations... feckers :mad:
    They didnt answer me at all!? not evan a "we'll get back to you"
    I dunno whether to send the e-mail again or what :confused::(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hahha getting acquainted :pac:

I want a new couch so.. :L

Aww.. I'll sleep on the couch sure

So, can i come to your house warming party too? :/
    And "get acquainted" with you??? :P ;)

Made a major ommission on my CAO application :(

Course wise? Is it something you can change when the change of mind opens?

Course wise? Is it something you can change when the change of mind opens?

Nope :(

I never told them i was doing FETAC exams this year (Im not using them to get into college) and now my application could be rejected :(

Wish theyd F*cking e-mail me back to let me know >.<

Nope :(

I never told them i was doing FETAC exams this year (Im not using them to get into college) and now my application could be rejected :(

Wish theyd F*cking e-mail me back to let me know >.<

:(

Have you tried ringing them? Might be able to plead your case?

:(

Have you tried ringing them? Might be able to plead your case?

Ill ring them tomorrow evening if they havent e-mailed me back. :/
    Just worrying that i could be rejected, not a good feeling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Are you changing completely to a different course, ie, reapplying through the CAO?

Afaik, if you are reapplying you have to pay first year fees for the new course. However, I only know thats the case for swapping from a level 8 to another level 8, no idea how it works with a level 7.

If you were transferring into a similar course, without doing the CAO again, it'll depend on this years results. I think you would have to pass this year outright, not with repeats, as the repeat results wouldn't be out til September.

Cheers!

Yep, moving to a new music course.

I'm not transferring, doing it through the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Found out today I got an A in my ag science project. That's 25% of the exam..I might actually pass it now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Found out today I got an A in my ag science project. That's 25% of the exam..I might actually pass it now :D

Well done! :D

I thought they didn't hand out the marks yet? I don't do it so I'm not sure though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you're relying on your LC results and not your FETAC results for your CAO application, why would it matter that you didn't tell them about FETAC? :confused:

(tired; may be missing the point! :o)

If you're relying on your LC results and not your FETAC results for your CAO application, why would it matter that you didn't tell them about FETAC? :confused:

(tired; may be missing the point! :o)

Well, the form that came in the post recently does have a big ominous warning
    All examinations must be shown

Examination candidate numbers must be correct

You must notify us now of any errors or omissions, failure to do so may result in the lost of a place
    I did the same as Screamin (because, based on my results, I'd be inclined to think that FETAC results are going to work against me for getting a place compared to just having the LC results declared alone). Must go contact them again and see what the story is...

I'd rather not risk losing the place from an omission but, at the same time, I don't want to risk having fewer places available to be filled (because of that FETAC applicant quota for progression)

Exactly what robby said..

I would check it out, just to be sure, but I think what they really mean is "All examinations (which your application may rely on) must be shown" ... i.e. if you don't list them, we will know nothing about them and it's no use complaining to us afterwards.

"You must notify us now of any errors or omissions, failure to do so may result in the lost of a place" ... i.e. if you haven't told us about exams the results of which *might* qualify you for entry at a later stage, that's not our fproblem.

As I say, don't rely on me, check with them ... but if you're 100% sure you will be relying solely on LC results, I don't think the fact that you haven't listed a FETAC course will debar you in any way from whatever offer your *LC results* might entitle you to.

I would check it out, just to be sure, but I think what they really mean is "All examinations (which your application may rely on) must be shown" ... i.e. if you don't list them, we will know nothing about them and it's no use complaining to us afterwards.

"You must notify us now of any errors or omissions, failure to do so may result in the lost of a place" ... i.e. if you haven't told us about exams the results of which *might* qualify you for entry at a later stage, that's not our fproblem.

As I say, don't rely on me, check with them ... but if you're 100% sure you will be relying solely on LC results, I don't think the fact that you haven't listed a FETAC course will debar you in any way from whatever offer your *LC results* might entitle you to.
    See, that was my thinking aswell, and the warning kinda scared me :pac: so i asked them, and rather than explaining whether or not I needed to list my FETAC exams, they just asked for my PPS number and said nothing else :confused: so now im not so sure?? :/

Lol, sounds like you were put on the "to check" pile, and forgotten about!

I would definitely ring / email / follow up to satisfy your mind and make absolutely sure, but I wouldn't be freaking out about it. ;)

Bah... I'm starting to think they're just throwing out premade responses to the questions. Sent them an email this morning, asking something like the following (effectively the same, just not word for word)
    I would like to inquire about the possibility of losing a place due to the omission of exam information. If an exam was omitted, would the person's application be invalidated due to the omission and, subsequently, would not be able to get offered a place, or would the person simply losing a possible method for getting offered a place?
    And, they respond with
    If FETAC is missing from the application you may
    still add it.

Omission could result in the loss of an offer.
    1) They answer the question I don't ask? >_>

2) There is little info (that I can find) regarding exam amendments - they have an amendment form in their FAQ on the Contact Us page, but you are only given Pages 3 & 4 - this form even says that FETAC information is done on Page 2...

3) Vague much? 'Could' is making me think that it's a case that you lose one set of results on which you may be offered a place (but, in my case, still have the LC to go on), but my interpretation may be wrong.

/rant
    so i asked them, and rather than explaining whether or not I needed to list my FETAC exams, they just asked for my PPS number and said nothing else so now im not so sure??
    Sure, aren't your FETAC results all tied to your PPS number? You can always check your application again and see if the changes are made. Unless, for some reason, CAO-made amendments don't show on your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

This may be a stupid question, but have either of you ran them and asked directly? I'm sure it'd be much easier and quicker to figure it out over a quick phonecall.

• Advertisement

You got an e-mail back the same day you sent it :eek:
    I have to wait a minimum of 2 days..

There is no option to add FETAC to the application :(

Im gonna ring them on monday, they cant keep pawning us off with Vague and unclear answers!!

Advertisement