Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 CAO/Leaving Cert discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Guys quick Q here

Anyway i have redone my CAO for the new college year just in case i dont get my multimedia place (knowing my look i will not be getting it)

What do i have to send to the CAO to reapply for next year EG a copy of my LC and a letter from the college ?

Is there anything else that i need to send ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Lawliet wrote: »
    I brought a bottle of water and a packet of mints into English paper 2, never touched them because I was writing non stop :o

Even if you don't touch them. It is better to be safe than sorry particularly when you are dealing with the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I thought you weren't allowed bring food into the exams unless you had a medical condition (eg. diabetes)? :confused:

I actually liked the LC English course. I didn't mind the poetry, I didn't mind Hamlet, I thought the comparatives were a bit of a waffley load of bollocks alright though. But I really hate the exam. Why is there so little time for paper 1?! It's really unfair, they expect us to pelt out a masterpiece composition in just over an hour. And under the pressure of it being the first exam of our LC. Ridiculous imo. I don't know why they don't just leave paper 1 have the same amount of time as paper 2, or at least just 20 more minutes in it.

It's probably one of the most demanding exams just by the sheer PHYSICAL task you have to do to write that much in so little time, nevermind the mental exertion.

OMG 2011 PAPERS ARE ON EXAMINATIONS.IE (well, just LCVP link modules :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

jumpguy wrote: »
    I thought you weren't allowed bring food into the exams unless you had a medical condition (eg. diabetes)? :confused:
    Nope they're not strict about it at all; they don't even enforce a clean desk policy so you can have your pencil case, bottle, calculator case, etc, right in front of you. Mind you they'd probably draw the line at bringing in sandwiches but bags of sweets are fine.

Nope they're not strict about it at all; they don't even enforce a clean desk policy so you can have your pencil case, bottle, calculator case, etc, right in front of you. Mind you they'd probably draw the line at bringing in sandwiches but bags of sweets are fine.
    Ah, one of the lads got the head eaten off him last year for carrying a roll into his exams!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

As long as you're not making loadsa noise they'll usually be ok with food!

Hope everyone is doing ok with the last few days of study :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

As long as you're not making loadsa noise they'll usually be ok with food!

Hope everyone is doing ok with the first few days of study :)

FYP in relation to myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I actually liked the LC English course. I didn't mind the poetry, I didn't mind Hamlet, I thought the comparatives were a bit of a waffley load of bollocks alright though. But I really hate the exam. Why is there so little time for paper 1?! It's really unfair, they expect us to pelt out a masterpiece composition in just over an hour. And under the pressure of it being the first exam of our LC. Ridiculous imo. I don't know why they don't just leave paper 1 have the same amount of time as paper 2, or at least just 20 more minutes in it.

It's probably one of the most demanding exams just by the sheer PHYSICAL task you have to do to write that much in so little time, nevermind the mental exertion.

OMG 2011 PAPERS ARE ON EXAMINATIONS.IE (well, just LCVP link modules :P)

really? :o I usually have paper 1 finished with alot of time to go.

It's the timing for paper 2 that gets me! My comparative takes ages just to write out (and I usually end up leaving out bits because I go way over time, god damnit!).

I'm actually so scared yet kinda excited in a way. Imagine never having to do poetry again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone wanna spare a thought for the poor kids doing their Junior Cert? I think it's pretty clear to see who's under the most stress. :cool:

Aw OK then...

Slow Show wrote: »
    Anyone wanna spare a thought for the poor kids doing their Junior Cert? I think it's pretty clear to see who's under the most stress. :cool:

Aw OK then...

Poster making skills up to scratch for CSPE? Sorted then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Imagine never having to do poetry again :D

Poetry is amazing, and I hope that those doing the LC can still appreciate the power of a good poem after the exams are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Poetry is amazing, and I hope that those doing the LC can still appreciate the power of a good poem after the exams are over.

I didn't appreciate it UNTIL the exams were over. Damn you English syllabus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Slow Show wrote: »

My wee brother is doing the JC this year, so I'm sparing many thoughts for you guys :p

So true. YA CAN'T BATE YEATS!

Also lol @ everyone complaining about a sore hand after one English paper. Back in my day we had both papers on the same day :p My god I thought my hand would have to be amputated the cramp was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Back in my day, we did our English on a Saturday...

(and actually, the first time I did my LC, I did English Paper 2 and Chemistry on the same day. VOM)

You whippersnappers don't know what hardship even is, pfffft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'm a reader for a student in this year's Leaving Cert. It'll be great getting paid teachers wages to sit beside someone who has to do all the worrying, studying, writing and hand-cramping.

Finally, the LC is good for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Back in my day we wrote on rocks because we didn't have paper..

Now that was tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

bythewoods wrote: »

(and actually, the first time I did my LC, I did English Paper 2 and Chemistry on the same day. VOM)
    Oh my God I would rather have my eyes and my teeth pulled out than sit the two of them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

This time next week we'll have finished English omg omg omg etc. :eek:

(Seriously, can't wait to get that ball of shít of an exam over with).

It's crazy that it's all so near isn't it?

The weirdest thing for me is the fact I'm finished on the last day of exams >_< (Goddamn applied maths). The majority of my friends are going to be celebrating being finished while I still have work to do >_<.

Oh well. 3 weeks from today and it's all over =P

English Paper 2 and chemistry on the same day? Why was that, or was it just that the timetable was different then (because chemistry is after the weekend now...mmm).
    It's crazy that it's all so near isn't it?

The weirdest thing for me is the fact I'm finished on the last day of exams >_< (Goddamn applied maths). The majority of my friends are going to be celebrating being finished while I still have work to do >_<.

Oh well. 3 weeks from today and it's all over =P
    There's a going-away party for someone I know the weekend before my physics exam and chemistry exam (on the Friday though). Should be interesting... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Haha I did my leaving cert that year too, I'll never forget the joy I felt finding out the exam was going to be postponed and then the utter horror of realising everything I had learned was on the paper that was leaked , knowing then that I was well and proper screwed.

• Advertisement

Haha I did my leaving cert that year too, I'll never forget the joy I felt finding out the exam was going to be postponed and then the utter horror of realising everything I had learned was on the paper that was leaked , knowing then that I was well and proper screwed.

Me too, oh Longley, why were you on the wrong paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Me too, oh Longley, why were you on the wrong paper :(

Damn Macbeth deception also being on the wrong paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I remember when English paper 2 got cancelled and instead of studying and getting an early night, we in our hundreds spent the night on boards freaking out, while the occasional adult and mod tried to get us to go to bed and stop being so dramatic. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I remember when English paper 2 got cancelled and instead of studying and getting an early night, we in our hundreds spent the night on boards freaking out, while the occasional adult and mod tried to get us to go to bed and stop being so dramatic. Good times.

I remember everyone rushing outta the library, it was mental!! I just sat there learning Elizabeth Bishop hoping to God she'd come up.
    I think the second paper worked out better for me!
    B1 baby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I remember it too!! >.<

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Does anyone else feel the timetable is actually on their side? Or is the face I'm only doing 3 higher levels? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Oh god I remember that night. I argued with a guy, telling him I was going to FAIL English dramatically and have to repeat to get Law, and proceeded to get an A in English but still had to repeat to get Law. The irony.
    T'was so strange going into school that Saturday morning for the exam too, eerie times! And Joe Duffy was gaaaaaas for a few days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

There's a going-away party for someone I know the weekend before my physics exam and chemistry exam (on the Friday though). Should be interesting... :P

Oh dear, that's unlucky =P. I've been invited to something on the 22nd already, have had to turn it down >_<.

I wonder if there'll be any random controversies during the Leaving this year for us people that we can be all nostalgic about in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Last year was great and full of drama aswell. Boland didn't come up and the SEC embarrassed themselves extremely badly with the mess of an accounting exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Boland not coming up was hilarious, the facebook groups in response to it absolutely cracked me up! My sister is doing the exams this year and everyone in her class is 100% convinced Boland is coming up, would be interesting if she didn't again.

Advertisement