Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gels in IM distance events -

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Zico what was your own nutrition strategy?

I ate a sports bar half an hour before the race started and a gel right before the swim.
    Once out of the water I took on 1g of carbohydrate for every kg of my body weight per hour. This translated to 75/76g of carbs that I'd need every hour. On race day this was 3 High-5 gels per hour on the bike, with every third one containing caffeine. This was 69g of carbs, the remainder I got from sports drink.
    I took a 750ml water with me on the bike and aero-bottle I had filled with High-5 sports drink. I can't remember exactly how frequent the aid stations were apart, (I think approximately every 30km) and while the bottles might not have been completely drained, I was grabbing a new bottle of either water or High-5 at every aid station. For the first 30 minutes of bike I just drank water and then just drank whatever I felt like drinking after that.
    I tried continue this pattern of three gels per hour on the run, the aid stations were fairly regularly placed around the run course and I'd sometimes grab a chunk of banana to nibble on as I ran. I only drank water or sports drinks on the first two laps and on the third I started drinking coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

mloc123 wrote: »

Those Lucazade bars are bloody savage! Got a few recently when they were reduced to clear in Tesco (eventhough ive never seen them stocked there!!) and was well impressed, not for HIM though so havent gotten anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mloc123 wrote: »

I am sure the sticky tape held everything in place in the wind and rain:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    I seldom check the sub forum that is gear in the A/R/T forum and I came upon this thread by a combination of boredom and chance.
    Just before I reply further I want to be 100% sure, am I the 'hippie' at 'the pointy end of things', who in your opinion has/had no plan?
    I often think the 'high hope thread' I imagine you are talking about is going nowhere, but I think it being all 'hippie about stuff' and '*****' is only a small reason for this.

I don't know you. I know you a polite guy, but thats about the extent of my knowledge really.

I gather that the sub ten thread didn't catch on. I didn't follow it past the second or third page so I amn't going to speculate on why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    I don't know you. I know you a polite guy, but thats about the extent of my knowledge really.

I gather that the sub ten thread didn't catch on. I didn't follow it past the second or third page so I amn't going to speculate on why.

Thanks, I appreciate your response, but I would just like to go back to your original post. I am not looking to score points off you and maybe I am taking things out of context. Forgive me if I am, but I would say my preparation for the IM stuck very rigidly to a plan. It followed an exact structure from start to finish, I never changed anything in it and the sessions I missed were a tiny percentage of the overall plan.
    I freely admit to knowing very little about the scientific side of things and in time I acknowledge I'll have to educate myself on such things to get maximum benefits from my training. With what little knowledge I do have, I would still never recommend someone to approach an ironman and not to have a fully researched and well thought out nutrition strategy. I detailed my approach to nutrition early on in the sub 10 thread and it's the exact same thing I've said to MCOS above.

Advertisement