Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hi - Two notes that a friend asked me to check value (if any) on.

I know nothing about them but they are in poor enough condition. Thanks in advance for any info. :)

One%2BPound.jpg

One%2BPound%2BTen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CollectorsShop

Ten grands sounds a bit excessive for these - even at Celtic Tiger prices !!!

Expect to get about €1,200 to €1,300 each at auction.
    Their catalogue value is approx. Stg £1,000 each

I'd recommend you either go to Ian Whyte (in Dublin) or Dix Noonan & Webb (in London) with these lovely old Irish banknotes.

The condition is above average for notes of this type. Kilkenny is well collected, so there should be healthy competition amongst the bidders ... and you might get even more if 2 bidders really want them.

Check out Ian's email address at Whytes.ie
    and attach the images.

James O'Brien
    The Old Currency Exchange

Ten grands sounds a bit excessive for these - even at Celtic Tiger prices !!!

Expect to get about €1,200 to €1,300 each at auction.
    Their catalogue value is approx. Stg £1,000 each

I'd recommend you either go to Ian Whyte (in Dublin) or Dix Noonan & Webb (in London) with these lovely old Irish banknotes.

The condition is above average for notes of this type. Kilkenny is well collected, so there should be healthy competition amongst the bidders ... and you might get even more if 2 bidders really want them.

Check out Ian's email address at Whytes.ie
    and attach the images.

James O'Brien
    The Old Currency Exchange

Thanks for your reply, but which is it €200-300 or €1,200-1,300? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Can I make a suggestion guys to anyone/everyone with the knowledge to compile it?

What I think would be super useful - and maybe even a candidate to be a new sticky - would be a valuation matrix by quality grading for the various types of irish notes so people don't have to trawl through 40+ pages to get the useful info they need, e.g.

Series A (1928-1977)
    -----+----------+-----+-----+--------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
    NOTE |  YEAR(S) | UNC | AU  | EF/GVF | VF  |  F  | VG  |  G  |  P  |
    10/- |1928-1960 | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |
    10/- |> 1961    | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |

Series B (1976-1993)
     1   |1976      |... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |
     1   |1977-1992 | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |
     1   |1993      | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |  

Series C (1992-2001)
     5   |1992      | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |
     5   |1993-2000 | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |
     5   |2001      | ... | ... | ...    | ... | ... | ... | ... | ... |  

(as an example here for series B & C, I've shown how the first and last years of issue may have different values to the years in between, though I'm not sure that new notes were even printed in the final year of circulation...)

-GY.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

<Rant about how much the editor sucks at creating tables - deleted>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 CollectorsShop

Hi,

Yes, I agree with you.

There is a need for individual pages for Irish banknotes.

As I am sure you know, there is quite a bit of work needed to produce these pages.

Also, they need to be updated every year.

AND ... no matter what value one puts on each note / grade / date,
    there will be howls of protest at what is too cheap and what is too expensive.

So, try https:// oldcurrencyexchange.com/central-bank-of-ireland-banknotes/

A-Series
    This section is complicated, so I am dividing it into x sections
    1. Currency Commission of the Irish Free State
    2. Currency Commission of Ireland
    3. Central Bank of Ireland (sterling issues)
    4. Central Bank of Ireland (punt issues)
    All of the above are a "work in progress"

B=Series
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/07/12/obrien-banknote-guide-one-pound-irish-banknote-b-series/
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/07/13/obrien-banknote-guide-five-pounds-irish-banknote-b-series/
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/07/02/obrien-banknote-guide-ten-pounds-irish-banknote-b-series/
    £20 and £50 guides on the way !

C-Series
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/06/29/obrien-banknote-guide-five-pounds-irish-banknote-c-series/
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/06/29/obrien-banknote-guide-ten-pounds-irish-banknote-c-series/
    oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/06/29/obrien-banknote-guide-twenty-pounds-irish-banknote-c-series/
    £50 and £100 guides on the way !

I hope this is helpful.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Know of anyone in Limerick who buys coins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this, most of the other coins and notes on here are old ones.
    I was looking through some old boxes and found some coins sets that I bought a few years ago. I was wondering are any of these worth anything, or will they ever be? I stopped buying/ collecting these coins a while ago.

Irish UNC Coin sets - 2003-2009, 2003 Special Olympics set, 2007 Treaty of Rome set, San Marino 2006 set

All US State quarters, US $1 Presidential coins 2007 and 2008 (presume these are all just worth face value)

Irish coins:
    Special Olympics €5
    Special Olympics €10
    Skellig Michal €10
    Swan €10
    2007 €10 Ireland's Celtic culture
    €10 Rowan Hamilton
    Antarctic Explorers €5

I've had a look on eBay and Done Deal but not sure how reliable that is. Also, if any are worth selling Im not sure what the right place to do this would be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

fjon wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this, most of the other coins and notes on here are old ones.
    I was looking through some old boxes and found some coins sets that I bought a few years ago. I was wondering are any of these worth anything, or will they ever be? I stopped buying/ collecting these coins a while ago.

Irish UNC Coin sets - 2003-2009, 2003 Special Olympics set, 2007 Treaty of Rome set, San Marino 2006 set

All US State quarters, US $1 Presidential coins 2007 and 2008 (presume these are all just worth face value)

Irish coins:
    Special Olympics €5
    Special Olympics €10
    Skellig Michal €10
    Swan €10
    2007 €10 Ireland's Celtic culture
    €10 Rowan Hamilton
    Antarctic Explorers €5

I've had a look on eBay and Done Deal but not sure how reliable that is. Also, if any are worth selling Im not sure what the right place to do this would be.

As regards the Irish stuff you've listed, there's nothing there that has increased in value except the Antarctic Explorers €5 coin. With the rest you'll be lucky to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks, that's helpful, and a bit disappointing. However, i never bought any of it with the intention of making a profit.
    What would be the best way to get rid of them if I want to try to at least make my money back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

fjon wrote: »
    Thanks, that's helpful, and a bit disappointing. However, i never bought any of it with the intention of making a profit.
    What would be the best way to get rid of them if I want to try to at least make my money back?

Well Adverts or ebay or somewhere like that as a dealer will give you very little for them. You could ask a bit more for the Antarctic Explorers €5, maybe 80 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hi,
    Im looking for a bit of help.
    I represent a registered charity. I recently was given a donation of a collection of old coins, by an elderly friend of the family. The proceeds if any, raised from selling these coins, will go to our charity.
    The collections consists of a lot (dozens) of British coins - mid 1880's to early 1900's. Some Danish, Norwegian, Indian, Canadian, American, German (some with Nazi symbols), similar dates. How would I go about selling these? I have no idea about coins, and there may be nothing of value in the collection, but any suggestions for how to get some cash for this donation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mec1

There is a dealer from England called Pam West who co-wrote or edited a book with Jonathan Callaway called Paper Money of Ireland’. If you send scans to her she would let you know. She has a website and is very approachable. Ian Whyte is good also. To list in his auction can be expensive and you can also be charged fees to have a photo in his catalogue, insurance and even a fee if your item does not sell. DNW are also good but you get paid in Sterling along with the auction fees so to convert back into euro is going to cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mec1

to Aonb about your coins. There is a Coin fair in RDS on Feb 18-19 so you could try there to get a dealer to look at them? There is also an ad on adverts.ie from one of the dealers looking to buy silver coins at the moment in the wanted section.

Here's a link: http://www.adverts.ie/12206756

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Hi, Was wondering if anyone could take a look at this coin? I was going to put it on ebay but the prices are all over the place

upandover wrote: »
    Hi, Was wondering if anyone could take a look at this coin? I was going to put it on ebay but the prices are all over the place

Is it a Sovereign or Half Sovereign?

Go by weight - a Half Sovereign should weigh 3.99 grams and a Sovereign should weigh 7.98 grams.

Then you're talking bullion prices which vary day by day.

According to this site: http://www.scrapgolduk.co.uk a Half Sovereign will get you £111.32 - scrap value and a Sovereign will get you £222.63. That said I sold some I had a while back on eBay and did better than that. I'm sure that someone with more knowledge will be along with a better answer before too long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 upandover

Appreciate it Del Monte. It's 7 grams on the kitchen scales so I guess it is a sovereign. Some of the prices online are over a 1000 which I assume is down to condition. Not sure how good the condition is of this one. If it is only worth 200 as scrap I would probably hang onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

upandover wrote: »
    Appreciate it Del Monte. It's 7 grams on the kitchen scales so I guess it is a sovereign. Some of the prices online are over a 1000 which I assume is down to condition. Not sure how good the condition is of this one. If it is only worth 200 as scrap I would probably hang onto it

Prices could also be higher for rare dates and/or mintmarks as well as condition like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, wonder if anyone can help, Ma has a great British hammered coin (Elizabeth 1) 1582, with POSVI DEVAD IVTORE M:M on it and a flower at back of her head, weighs 3 grams, is it worth anything?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Finbarr Murphy

sdp wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help, Ma has a great British hammered coin (Elizabeth 1) 1582, with POSVI DEVAD IVTORE M:M on it and a flower at back of her head, weighs 3 grams, is it worth anything?
    Many thanks

You'll like this

• Advertisement

Thank you Finbarr,
    had I look , its only in fair condition , would you know anywhere in the south east that would be interested in it?
    Many thanks

Check-out eBay for ideas regarding prices even you don't sell there. You won't get a decent price from an Irish dealer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xelizabeth+1.TRS0&_nkw=elizabeth+1st+coin&_sacat=0

Thank you, I will :)

May i say, A Thank you to Finbarr, who has been a great help in sharing information,
    thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've absent-mindedly collected about 40 various €2 commemeratives over the years. Before I just spend the damn things are there any that have appreciated even vaguely in value? Presume not. Good circulated condition the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jlav1

Hi guys. I too have some notes and a lot of coins. One of the notes is a £5 ploughmans '31 with serial no. 03nk000443. Some red 10 shillings, '68 £1 note and the likes. Somes of the coins I have are '21, '22, '29 florin and two soverings dated 1873 and 1894. Thats only a few of the coins. I have lots of old irish coins. Don't know where to start about valuations etc. Looking for some pointers!Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Found this in my collection the other day anyone have ideas what type of air mint error it is and would it be worth anything

iainBB wrote: »
    Found this in my collection the other day anyone have ideas what type of air mint error it is and would it be worth anything

Looks like a wire rim error alright, but not a major error so not worth a whole lot.

What's that below the exergue line? Looks like a cud? Hard to see from the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Blade wrote: »
    Looks like a wire rim error alright, but not a major error so not worth a whole lot.

What's that below the exergue line? Looks like a cud? Hard to see from the pic.

Cheers
    I think that is a bit of dirt lol that I did not clean off before picture lol

Thankyou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

Hi, I found a 1975 £10 note in an old birthday card, just wondering if anyone knows whether it is worth anything over its face value.

Thanks for reading & for any replies.

Advertisement