Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

Bump...any opinions?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Hi guys.
    My dad found some old series b and series c Irish bank notes while renovating his grandmother's house. Could somebody please point me in the direction on where to get them valued or where they can be sold in the Dublin area. There are 10s 20s and 50s.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    My dad found some old series b and series c Irish bank notes while renovating his grandmother's house. Could somebody please point me in the direction on where to get them valued or where they can be sold in the Dublin area. There are 10s 20s and 50s.
    Thanks for the help.

First thing is that they can be redeemed at the Central Bank .... www.centralbank.ie for details. So irrespective of condition, they are worth face. They may be worth more to a dealer. There are not many with shops/ premises so antique/collectors/coin fairs are helpful. If they are are in very good condition ( crisp,no folds etc),they might be worth a good premium. Try www.whytes.ie for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sam2005 wrote: »
    Hi, I found a 1975 £10 note in an old birthday card, just wondering if anyone knows whether it is worth anything over its face value.

Thanks for reading & for any replies.

Less than the inflationary value of what it would have been worth to you in 1975 anyway. Its not in fantastic nick so it might get €20 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Hi, I found a 1975 £10 note in an old birthday card, just wondering if anyone knows whether it is worth anything over its face value.

Find someone born on 10-Feb-1975 and you could ask for €50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Without seeing the back of the note and assuming it's the same as the front it's worth €35-€40

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Found a few old pennies, any value in coins like this.
    s-l500.jpg

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Found a few old pennies, any value in coins like this.
    s-l500.jpg
    s-l5001.jpg

They are photos from an extremely rare error sold on ebay recently that had no info in the title which is why it only made £823

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=144&searchlot=1837&searchtype=2

The link above is for one that made £2000 in 2014

Good spot, well done sir at least checking with ebay.
    Was not intended to embarrass anyone, as I do not have a clue about error coins. but I do notice people on here as elsewhere routinely dismissing old beat up coppers as worth only a few euros tops.

I purposely asked about error coins first, and left the photos as were so these were easy enough to check if you put the effort in and think a little. but what if I had the ability to change the photos remove the obvious background and shrink to a usual size posted here?? Would any of you genuinely have spotted such a valuable coin? I would not have so not asking as a boaster.

Was not intended to embarrass anyone, as I do not have a clue about error coins. but I do notice people on here as elsewhere routinely dismissing old beat up coppers as worth only a few euros tops.

I purposely asked about error coins first, and left the photos as were so these were easy enough to check if you put the effort in and think a little. but what if I had the ability to change the photos remove the obvious background and shrink to a usual size posted here?? Would any of you genuinely have spotted such a valuable coin? I would not have so not asking as a boaster.

I do not see many people dismissing old beat up coppers as worth only a few euros. Most old beat up coppers are not even worth a few cent.

• Advertisement

Without seeing the back of the note and assuming it's the same as the front it's worth €35-€40

I know what you intended to say but if the back was the same as the front I would say it's worth a lot more !

sceach16 wrote: »
    I do not see many people dismissing old beat up coppers as worth only a few euros. Most old beat up coppers are not even worth a few cent.

Everything is worth what someone is prepared to pay. 16 years' ago a 40"Sony flat TV was £2500

sceach16 wrote: »
    Perhaps you hurry your reading or do not read enough or read too much without reading, either way you make a point of literally zilch relevance or learning.
    The coin was very worn and had clear damage a typical beat up old copper!
    The gent above who unlike the quick to assume and dismiss, took at least the time out to assess, makes that gent at the very least someone to be taken seriously!
    The point was - That coin was worth serious money, but would have been dismissed by most all here and probably every other such forum, in the same way almost any investment or antique is so eagerly dismissed, until proven money in it.

Perhaps you hurry your reading or do not read enough or read too much without reading, either way you make a point of literally zilch relevance or learning.
    The coin was very worn and had clear damage a typical beat up old copper!
    The gent above who unlike the quick to assume and dismiss, took at least the time out to assess, makes that gent at the very least someone to be taken seriously!
    The point was - That coin was worth serious money, but would have been dismissed by most all here and probably every other such forum, in the same way almost any investment or antique is so eagerly dismissed, until proven money in it.

Congratulations ! U found an example of a typical beat up old copper that wasn't worth just a few euros. So what. The vast bulk (99.9999%) are not worth anything. In any event, the coin U talk about was not dismissed by anyone on this forum. It was rapidly identified for what it was.

This forum provided an excellent and expert response.

You seem to be irritated that your theory was not supported by the response.
    Your statement "That coin was worth serious money, but would have been dismissed by most all here and probably every other such forum, in the same way almost any investment or antique is so eagerly dismissed" is very interesting. In general, answers on this and other threads do not support your theory.

Maybe U should start a thread and people could send U questions about any old coin or investment and antique and U could give erudite answers!

Good spot, well done sir at least checking with ebay.

I had seen the coin on ebay before you posted the photos here and knew about the error before that but I know what you mean about some posters here quick to say things are rubbish, junk, give it to a charity shop, I haven't posted here in a good while and that's one of the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have a booklet of decimal Irish coins from AIB issued at the time of the euro changeover. Never thought it was worth much until I googled it and saw this thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057171579

Where the same thing was sold at auction for €140 in 2014.

I know nothing about coins, what would the best way of selling this be?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

okedoke wrote: »
    I have a booklet of decimal Irish coins from AIB issued at the time of the euro changeover. Never thought it was worth much until I googled it and saw this thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057171579

Where the same thing was sold at auction for €140 in 2014.

I know nothing about coins, what would the best way of selling this be?

It's true it sold at auction back then for 140 Euro, but at the time it was a little known set and I suspect that two bidders might have got a bit carried away. I have that set myself as I said in that thread but I really don't think you'll get anything like that for it now. You could try putting it on Adverts with evidence of it having fetched 140 Euro and see will anyone bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Blade - good idea.

I was also amazed it sold for that much - never thought it was worth anything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

okedoke wrote: »
    Thanks Blade - good idea.

I was also amazed it sold for that much - never thought it was worth anything

It's a pity they didn't have the cop on to NOT glue the damn coins in. Clearly whoever was in charge wasn't a coin collector. I think they were just given out to bank staff for the changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Hi folks,

wondering if anyone can give me a rough price for this coin?

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/7777/1Eydo1.jpg
    https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1038/MiCBpY.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Doesn't look in great condition. It's worth about €300 in gold weight, maybe €350 in that condition.

Doesn't look in great condition. It's worth about €300 in gold weight, maybe €350 in that condition.

looks like silver from here! Crown or half crown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Standing Bear

In that condition not worth much save as scrap.

Always check eBay first for ideas of value - items actually selling rather than BIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

looks like silver from here! Crown or half crown?

Looking again you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 __teenie__

What is the best way to get old coins valued? I've been given 50+ old coins farthing, truppencee etc by my father to sell. But knowing nothing about them I'd like to value them and sell them on for him, any information appreciated. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Standing Bear

__teenie__ wrote: »
    What is the best way to get old coins valued? I've been given 50+ old coins farthing, truppencee etc by my father to sell. But knowing nothing about them I'd like to value them and sell them on for him, any information appreciated. Thank you.

Check prices on eBay.co.uk Check prices of items for auction rather than BIN for realistic prices. Condition is also very important. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I'm looking for a set of old Irish pre-euro coins. I don't want anything valuable just old coins. Anybody know any sellers in the Dubln area? The Central Bank just seems to have collector coins. Thanks

wait4me wrote: »
    I'm looking for a set of old Irish pre-euro coins. I don't want anything valuable just old coins. Anybody know any sellers in the Dubln area? The Central Bank just seems to have collector coins. Thanks

by the look of the posters on this thread there's plenty of what you're looking for.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Would anybody be able to help me identify this coin. It's been around my parents house for years. We're all curious to know where it's from and what age it may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Would anybody be able to help me identify this coin. It's been around my parents house for years. We're all curious to know where it's from and what age it may be.

Morocco falus

Advertisement