Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when confronted by scumbags

• 01-05-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

So, walking home from the Luas tonight, and saw a large group of teenagers. I'm 25 myself, so there shouldn't be any problem, but I just knew they'd try something. Kept my head down, avoided them as best I could, next thing I know there was a large thwump, they threw something which just missed me (and judging from the sound, would've done some serious damage had it made contact). Next they threw a mobile phone (I'm not sure why they'd do that). That also missed. Nothing damaged, so I just walked on, after giving them a glare.

My question: Should I have done something? Or would I have risked getting the sh*t kicked out of me? And by not doing anything, have I just made them think it's okay/cool/funny to do it to the next guy that passes?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Pick up the free phone and carry on along your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Blast them with piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Pretend to have a seizure.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

If there's a large group definitely walk away! They will kick lumps out of you if you confront them. They're only dying for you to react.

In conclusion: You made the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Tell them Santa is dead.

Best to keep walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

You should have taken the phone and ran onto the nearest Luas...

Failing that, you probably did the right thing. Don't let them think they're intimidating you and just ignore them. The scumbags were just looking for a bit of attention. If you'd taken them on, they probably would have just cowered in fear, the cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Walk away*.

*Unless of course you enjoy getting the sh1te knocked out of ya, then confront away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rubabbel wrote: »
    So, walking home from the Luas tonight, and saw a large group of teenagers. I'm 25 myself, so there shouldn't be any problem, but I just knew they'd try something. Kept my head down, avoided them as best I could, next thing I know there was a large thwump, they threw something which just missed me (and judging from the sound, would've done some serious damage had it made contact). Next they threw a mobile phone (I'm not sure why they'd do that). That also missed. Nothing damaged, so I just walked on, after giving them a glare.

My question: Should I have done something? Or would I have risked getting the sh*t kicked out of me? And by not doing anything, have I just made them think it's okay/cool/funny to do it to the next guy that passes?

I find walking with your head high(confidently) though not paying attetion to them is what i do -

I think you did the right thing - you didnt get hurt - a large group will have no problem trappling your head in if you confront them -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

Not sure it would have mattered. I doubt they were trying to miss ya to get a reaction and then bash ya. They obviously wanted to hurt ya.
    A group that size you'd want to be pretty sure you can handle yourself* or have amazin health insurance. Walk on and let the guards know.

*i suspect only chuck norris could only handle a group that size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

if you are 100% capable of defending yourself if they attack /including weapons/ - yeah why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Large groups of teenages throw things and miss because they are normally afraid to throw something and hit someone or start a proper fight.

In short it was a group of lads trying to prove how hard and ladish they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

God... wrote: »
    Blast them with piss

This meme is as stale as the piss on the floor of a public toilet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Walk away*.

*Unless of course you enjoy getting the sh1te knocked out of ya, then confront away!

Never confront a group...you don't know what weapons they is carrying ....

Chances is that one of them will have a knife and will use on you ....of course he will end up in court where he will apologise to your family and say "I never intended to kill him".

And your teenage relatives will have an opportunity to put on loads of mascara.cry and hug one another ,leave flowers on the spot where you died and appear on page 5 of The Evening Herald.

It's the way it is pal ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

If there's a large group definitely walk away! They will kick lumps out of you if you confront them. They're only dying for you to react.

In conclusion: You made the right choice.

This would sort that out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

F***ing Sandyford..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

Do what this guy in the black and yellow tracksuit does :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I always carry my lady hammer in my handbag for such occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My dad- who was from a rough area gave me great advice-

ALWAYS have one hand in your pocket wrapped around a bunch of keys with the largest key (car key) poking out between the index and middle fingers.
    This gives the illusion you may or may not have something dangerous on you - scumbags will never chance getting into real danger and if one does attack you- aim the key into the throat or eyeball of the biggest guy or whoever looks like the leader - most times the guy closest to u.

Walk with yr head down and eyes up - think John Waynes eyes- like as if yr trying to look into the sun and clench yr jaw. I don't know why but it makes you look pissed off- as apposed to scared which is what they're looking for.

If they throw stuff at you- just walk on and ignore it- they're looking to start a fight- most likely they've done the same thing to anyone who walked past them before you. When you get somewhere safe call the gardai.

This advice has never set me wrong - so must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

F***ing Sandyford..........

Stephen's Green, actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

You did the right thing by walking on you were obviously out numbered,lucky for you both missiles missed,never retaliate with scumbags unless your confronted face to face and dont have a choise,then unlease fcuking hell,even if you get beatin,take at least one of them with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

id be a fairly scorpy kont and dont like people trying to intimidate me, but these little ****ers are like jackals, give them one chance and they will dance on your head!you very very much did the correct thing, I wouldn't have even made eye contact tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

I guess maybe the answer for the long term would be learn some self defense. What's a lady hammer though?

I thought once you were 25 or so, teenage kids tended to ignore you/forget you were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Kill them with fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

A good run is better than a bad stand dont ever forget it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I have seen a lot of the world.

The Dublin ruffian is right up their with the worst anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Kill them with fire!

Nah, take off and nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Conor Dunne

Walking on is the only option so you were right..on your own so crazy to confront a group of people.....sorry, scumbags!!!!! I hope there luck runs out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Have their mothers singing "It's so HAAAWRD" in one big choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I guess maybe the answer for the long term would be learn some self defense. What's a lady hammer though?

I thought once you were 25 or so, teenage kids tended to ignore you/forget you were there.

Floral-Beautiful-Lady-Hammer-2414338778.jpg

My husband got me one in Michael Guineys (not for self defense) but it is handy around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

We could have been reading a very sad story about you in the papers tomorrow. Thank whatever God you believe in that we are not.
    Glad to hear you are ok OP.

Advertisement