Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when confronted by scumbags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

No offense intended OP but its a silly question. Unless youre a Navy SEAL you did the right thing, keep on walking. They werent forcing you into a corner so self defense wasnt an issue, they were just trying to get a rise cause they knew they were safe in numbers.

Scum are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Your 25 and you let a bunch of 15 year olds bully you? If you see them again do not walk away or else it will more likely happen again in the future.

During the last winter a group of around 8-10 teenagers flung two ice balls at my brothers 911. He immediately pressed hard on the brakes and we both hopped out of the car and started walking swiftly towards them then they all ran away like a bunch of girls. Kids today get away with murder and nothing is being done to take action against them.

Depending on the type of teenagers, most of them will always run away when confronted.

there's a difference between yours and the op's story, mainly you were in a car,so your guys were a little down the scumbag ladder of 'courage'

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Great advice ,pitty that poor polish guy didn't take it.

Not sure if you're quoting the correct post there?
    I assume you're on about Pavel Kwelite(sic) who got stabbed with the screwdriver,unless you're being sarcastic of course.

I'm always planning on taking up a martial art of some kind,
    reading some of the posts here think i'll just concentrate on the 100m sprint and save money on the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Larianne wrote: »
    Throw a few shapes as your walking too.

What like dance moves is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

milehip1 wrote: »
    Not sure if you're quoting the correct post there?
    I assume you're on about Pavel Kwelite(sic) who got stabbed with the screwdriver,unless you're being sarcastic of course.

I was referring to that alright ,awful thing to happen to someone.

All these toe rags are looking for is aknowledgement . The only time I've ever seen somone get into a situation is when they acknowledge a group or turn their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Glenster wrote: »
    Scum only understand confidence. They prey on the weak.

The rest of the post sounded like the words of someone who'll embark on a shooting spree within the next few years...but that point made sense.

Now my dayjob is in security, so I've probably picked up how to handle myself in public without realising, but this stuff never happens to me. One stupid (and not particularly classy) trick that I picked up along the way is that if a large group is walking in the other direction, spit as they're getting close to you. Not on them obviously. I know it sounds ridiculous but it seems to work...maybe it's an old primal assertion of disrespect or something.

But yeah, they pick on people who don't look like they can handle themselves. And, in fairness, you can spot those a mile off. Looking at their feet as they walk, shoulders slumped, earphones in, afraid to make eye contact with anyone, you know the rest. So if you find this often happens to you...work on building confidence and asserting yourself because that's where it all comes from.

Another trick that's (miraculously) worked for me in the past when surrounded by scumbags, on the job this time, is to not let them realise I was afraid. Once I was cornered outside work by about 12 of them, all locked. I was absolutely ****ting it inside, but didn't let them see it. Turned to them, calmly, and said: "Lads, I've lost this fight already. You know it, I know it. But I could beat the ****e out of all of ya's 1-on-1, so what I'm gonna do is grab the first ****er that throws a dig and kick the ever-loving ****e out of him and nobody else. So who wants to do it? Or we can all just go our separate ways and nobody gets hurt..." After a few tense seconds, they moved.

Now I wouldn't particularly ADVISE that course-of-action, but I really didn't see another option at the time. I think the fact that I gave them a get-out at the end is what saved me too.

Anyway, hope that helps...or at least amuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rubabbel wrote: »
    So, walking home from the Luas tonight, and saw a large group of teenagers.

ok
    I'm 25 myself, so there shouldn't be any problem

?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

has anyone mentioned the light sabre fantasy yet? or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

They threw a phone at you!? some people are just odd... tbh if they look like they might be under 18 your better off just leaving them, if you gave one of them a dig at a luas stop it would of been recorded and you could of gotten done for it, but in general if you know how to fight its down to you, theres always the chance that some idiot will pull a knife and be locked enough to try use it so you gotta keep that in your head as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Take an AK47 from your underpants
    Load a clip
    Blow them all away
    Make your way home
    Bliss

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

op - walk on, if they follow you - leg it. No other option is a good option - unless you ae carrying a gun.... stop, turn around.... pull it out.... watch the fear in their eyes.... fire a shot into the sky ..... watch them shít themselves and leg it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Contact with scumbags has always been something which I've tried to avoid. When I was in my teens I probably couldn't avoid it but still gave as good as I got. It eased off in my twenties apart from the trouble I went out and looked for - being an idiot and all!

In my thirties, it just seems like a waste of time - I've been accosted by many a scumbag since turning the big Three Zero. I could have reacted in a way to provoke or encourage further abuse but seriously, what's the point?

Tonight, the drunkest man I've ever seen came up to my face and told me to "Vuck ovv" (nothing done or said to provoke this incoherent abuse) and I just gave him the thumbs up! A few years ago I probably would have punched him into next week. Groups of similarly angry/drunk people won't follow if you run like fcuk!

My point I guess is that folks these days over react to those who are intoxicated. Yes, it's fun to punch a drunk man but, in the end, what are you achieving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

I have seen a lot of the world.

The Dublin ruffian is right up their with the worst anywhere.

I'll be honest here i've seen a fair bit of this world also (it happens when you reach 50) and most Dublin thugs are pussycats. They talk a good fight and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

The-Rigger wrote: »
    ok

?

I used to always get hassle from teenagers when I was a teenager. The last couple of years I noticed that they just ignore you, I guessed it was because I was older. Maybe I'm thinking now that it was just coincidence.

leggo wrote: »
    But yeah, they pick on people who don't look like they can handle themselves. And, in fairness, you can spot those a mile off. Looking at their feet as they walk, shoulders slumped, earphones in, afraid to make eye contact with anyone, you know the rest. So if you find this often happens to you...work on building confidence and asserting yourself because that's where it all comes from.

Hey, it's like you were there and described me exactly. This is probably exactly what it is, I definitely have to work on how I portray myself and looking more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Your 25 and you let a bunch of 15 year olds bully you? If you see them again do not walk away or else it will more likely happen again in the future.

During the last winter a group of around 8-10 teenagers flung two ice balls at my brothers 911. He immediately pressed hard on the brakes and we both hopped out of the car and started walking swiftly towards them then they all ran away like a bunch of girls. Kids today get away with murder and nothing is being done to take action against them.

Depending on the type of teenagers, most of them will always run away when confronted.

I know that most teenagers will run away when confronted but you were two, against a few idiots, this guy was on his own. Again, strength in numbers applies. He was right to walk not run away, and he did well to avoid trouble, also, seeing as you guys were in the shelter of your bros "911", you couldve sped off if the going got tough, this guy, hadnt got that luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

doomed wrote: »
    Years ago when I was studying martial arts the instructor was really clear on this issue. If you can run away do so. This was from a guy who could break contrete blocks with his fist.

A very good point.
    A lad teaching me martial arts said that even in an easy fight with one other guy you will get cuts and injuries. If you can walk or run away then do it.
    It stayed with me because physically, he could have stood and fought, and it changed my idea of what self-defence was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What kinda phone was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

double GG wrote: »

Stand your ground and fight.
    [/QUOTE
    That's a movie !!

Mate kill them with your love, like John coffffffy did, like the drink only spelled different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Some great advice in this thread. Equally - some stupid shít that will get you beat to a pulp.

Don't acknowledge them. It's simple but so effective. I'v found in the past that a glance and a slight snigger to myself is enough to set scum off. The little laugh I had was of course me looking and realising "I'm above them, life isn't so bad," but that's enough to provoke them.
    Walk on. Look at your life. Realise you have it good and scum throwing phones at you is the least of your worries.

I like the key technique. That said, I'd much rather a short sharp sprint to safety than having to shove my housekey into someones throat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Pull out a tech9 and spray them with bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If you can walk/run away then do that,pride really isn't worth a trip in an ambulance to a&e,or a week with concussion that feels like the worst hangover in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Dave! wrote: »
    I wouldn't keep the head down if I were you. Makes you look weak, like you're trying to avoid them. Those are the people that they'll try the shít with. Keep your head up, look confident, slightly pissed off. Bit of eye contact is alright, but don't try and stare anyone down or anything.

They throw somethin at you or pass a comment, just walk on...
    I've never thought someone was weak because they were looking at the ground. Yeah there is a "weak" look that often involves looking down among other things, but there is no angle at which you have to keep your head in order to avoid looking cowardly or anything.

In my experience, avoiding eye contact is preferable, if they feel they aren't being noticed they're not going to keep at you for long before giving up. If you make eye contact they will often take it as an opportunity to say something to you, usually something along the lines of "what the fcuk are you lookin' at". At that point, regardless of whether you ignore them or answer them, your response will be taken as a pretence to escalate the situation.

If there's just one scumbag, then asserting yourself can't hurt. But they think differently in groups. Not least because, if there is a group of them and they are anything near your age, then regardless of your build or confidence they could easily take you down and inflict serious damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ the issue is they could have knives or worse....so called "kids" these days, especially scumbag kids don't think and act likr normal kids. They are uneducated, they lack control over there basic scumbag instincts...ergo they answers everything by either shouting or a fist.

You can't reason with stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

For anyone saying "face them down, show them who's boss" etc. Do not practice what you preach or you will probably be pointlessly killed by someone with a lot less to live for than you.

I was with a mate when I was 17 walking up a lane towards a particularly badly positioned bus stop in Fettercairn when two little runts holding a screwdriver and a kitchen knife told us to hand over what we had. My mate is a black belt a few times over and can handle himself and stupidly I was expecting him to lose the rag and knock these chaps about, but he just put his hand in his pocket and handed over about 18 quid. I followed on and did the same, about 11 quid and my bogey poundshop watch. After I said to my mate incredulously that he could have got us out of that and he said "look we lost about 40 quid, costs a lot more than that to stitch even one cut". Even though he could probably take them he knew the risk was just too big, particularly with a clueless like me beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tome for a weepy scumbag chronicles forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Large groups of teenages throw things and miss because they are normally afraid to throw something and hit someone or start a proper fight.

In short it was a group of lads trying to prove how hard and ladish they were.

Agree with Logical here; they were just looking for a reaction and attention. Seems to me you handled it perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Lately I have heart stories of people being stabbed with used syringes. Now that **it is dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

leggo wrote: »
    Glenster wrote: »
    Scum only understand confidence. They prey on the weak.

Two top posts.
    Some people just attract the scum. Well attract is the wrong word, some people just come across as easy targets and that's what the scum target.
    As realy these teenagers are cowards, meet them one on one and they wouldn't dare do anything. Get them in a group and they're macho men.

But realy, if you hit the leader, the man with the mouth the rest would scatter. Not advising this now. Just my experience and as someone who definitely seemed an easy target and take much hassle and abuse from the local teenagers who hang around the shops

And while maybe it shouldn't happen, the ego is hurt a bit if you say you are in your late twenties and getting hassle and physical threats from teenagers.
    So, walking home from the Luas tonight, and saw a large group of teenagers. I'm 25 myself, so there shouldn't be any problem, but I just knew they'd try something. Kept my head down, avoided them as best I could,

You kept your head down OP, I think there is something in that and worth thinking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I guess maybe the answer for the long term would be learn some self defense.

Any self respecting self defence class, or instructor will tell him he done the right thing - he kept walking.

OP, you done the right thing.. Unlike me who should know better, I'd have thumped one of the little bastards - God I love smacking toe rags, esp. when they cry - little cunts.

• Advertisement

You kept your head down OP, I think there is something in that and worth thinking about

Definitely. I think it was probably the best outcome from the situation, but maybe some self-defense classes, while not actually helping fight in a situation like that, would help with confidence and looking confident.

If someone could recommend a good place for classes, that'd be great.

Advertisement