Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when confronted by scumbags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

MMA is great for that stuff. And it's big business these days so gyms are opening up everywhere. It's also a great laugh and good way to meet new people. The only one I've had experience with in the past and can vouch for is Martial Arts Inc (which has a few gyms around Dublin) but, if that doesn't suit, then there are plenty of others around.

As many have said, though, what you get out of self-defence isn't just the skills to defend yourself but the confidence of knowing you CAN defend yourself. As a teen, I got into tons of fights and whatnot, then it stopped when I actually learned HOW to fight. It's strange but works.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

I find it very useful, when you're physically bullied, to yell, 'No, no, no, don't; you're giving me an erection!

Stephen Fry is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Walk over to the nearest guy and bite into his Adam's apple. Don't let go until you bite part of his throat out. Then spit it to the ground and ask the rest of the gang with blood all over your mouth 'who's next'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where do scum get off on shít like this...

Saw 4 young lads 12 or 13 year olds riding their bikes up the road one day.
    A young couple - early 20's - are walking towards them....scum start wheelying at them and trying to intimidate them...they walked on and paid them no attention so the scum start spitting at them...WTF!!....you couldn't fcuking beat these little retards hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

mfceiling wrote: »
    Where do scum get off on shít like this...

Saw 4 young lads 12 or 13 year olds riding their bikes up the road one day.
    A young couple - early 20's - are walking towards them....scum start wheelying at them and trying to intimidate them...they walked on and paid them no attention so the scum start spitting at them...WTF!!....you couldn't fcuking beat these little retards hard enough.

Anyone else picture themselves clothes lining one of the pricks as they wheely right past you?

display_image.jpg?x=461436

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I gave the following advice before regarding dealing with scum, and I still stand by its effectiveness.

**** yourself.

I mean actually **** your pants, with any luck the foul stench emanating from your jocks should drive them away.

If this fails, start smearing your faeces all over your face while repeatedly chanting "mahogany gas pipes, mahogany gas pipes" or some other incomprehensible rubbish, in the hope that they will think you're a serious mentalist, and thus f*ck off away from around you.

Works every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Glenster wrote: »
    What if patrick pearse had that attitude, we'd all be speaking german now, wouldn't we?

Pearse was lined up against a wall and shot. It didn't exactly turn out too well for him now did it.
    And German?? What history have you been studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

I gave the following advice before regarding dealing with scum, and I still stand by its effectiveness.

**** yourself.

I mean actually **** your pants, with any luck the foul stench emanating from your jocks should drive them away.

If this fails, start smearing your faeces all over your face while repeatedly chanting "mahogany gas pipes, mahogany gas pipes" or some other incomprehensible rubbish, in the hope that they will think you're a serious mentalist, and thus f*ck off away from around you.

Works every time.

How often did you have to do this? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Why does everyone put their "head down". This doesn't make sense at all. You just make yourself smell of fear. Always head up and look confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 julianseeker

You did the right thing in walking away, your not hurt so leave it like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Be glad your not in the 90's some big phones back then would be hard to miss you with one of those babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

This probably doesn't help you at all:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

rubabbel wrote: »
    So, walking home from the Luas tonight, and saw a large group of teenagers. I'm 25 myself, so there shouldn't be any problem, but I just knew they'd try something. Kept my head down, avoided them as best I could, next thing I know there was a large thwump, they threw something which just missed me (and judging from the sound, would've done some serious damage had it made contact). Next they threw a mobile phone (I'm not sure why they'd do that). That also missed. Nothing damaged, so I just walked on, after giving them a glare.

My question: Should I have done something? Or would I have risked getting the sh*t kicked out of me? And by not doing anything, have I just made them think it's okay/cool/funny to do it to the next guy that passes?
    Similar thing happened to one of my friends a few weeks back. This was his facebook status after. :D

"Some little 13/14 year old scumbag at Tesco thought it was funny in front of his friends to take off his shoe when I was walkin' past him and throw it off the back of my head, so I thought it was funny to take his shoe, get in my car, drive over 2 miles away and fcuk it over a ditch into a field."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

2 events happened me in cork, one where i reacted the other when i let it go.

1st one was where 2 drunk mid 20 yr olds tryed to rob my gfs hand bag outside her house. Coming from a house of 4 brothers i instinctly reacted and caught the guy who took it and pulled him to the ground, caught him by the adams apple and applied pressure :D, the other guy attempted to pull me off his maye but some lashs of my boots sorted him out, once the hand bag was released i let him go.
    Once up, one legged it and other guy tryied to confront me again. He threw a can of beer which missed by a mile lucky for him. In that instance i classifiy myself as lucky cause they werent carrying weapons. I later found out there were released from prison the week before .After the attempted grab and run of the handbag they attacked a family in there home . Garda got them in the end.

2nd event was when i was walking from patrick street to blackpool at about 11:30 pm and was just passing the Heinieken plant when a group of Nory scum where coming against me. They were about 12 yrs of age and about 10 of them. One of them hit me in the shoulder, but i ignored it it and carried on. But by god if he tried it on his own, he would have suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

tonydude wrote: »
    2 events happened me in cork, one where i reacted the other when i let it go.

1st one was where 2 drunk mid 20 yr olds tryed to rob my gfs hand bag outside her house. Coming from a house of 4 brothers i instinctly reacted and caught the guy who took it and pulled him to the ground, caught him by the adams apple and applied pressure :D, the other guy attempted to pull me off his maye but some lashs of my boots sorted him out, once the hand bag was released i let him go.
    Once up, one legged it and other guy tryied to confront me again. He threw a can of beer which missed by a mile lucky for him. In that instance i classifiy myself as lucky cause they werent carrying weapons. I later found out there were released from prison the week before .After the attempted grab and run of the handbag they attacked a family in there home . Garda got them in the end.

2nd event was when i was walking from patrick street to blackpool at about 11:30 pm and was just passing the Heinieken plant when a group of Nory scum where coming against me. They were about 12 yrs of age and about 10 of them. One of them hit me in the shoulder, but i ignored it it and carried on. But by god if he tried it on his own, he would have suffered.

You hard ass! If you had any sense you should not attempt to attack two men of your own size unless they attacked you or your GF. And your extremely lucky none of them were armed!. Could you not of just let them get caught by the gardai like they did in the end?. You could of even been done for assault as they did not attack you.

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    You hard ass! If you had any sense you should not attempt to attack two men of your own size unless they attacked you or your GF. And your extremely lucky none of them were armed!. Could you not of just let them get caught by the gardai like they did in the end?. You could of even been done for assault as they did not attack you.

They did attack us , gardai wanted to file an assault claim on em. I left it alone so my gf didnt have to worry. And yes i was lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

tonydude wrote: »
    They did attack us , gardai wanted to file an assault claim on em. I left it alone so my gf didnt have to worry. And yes i was lucky.

Well could you not of just tried to shove the robber off or stun one of them with a hit to the nose and try to get the hell out of there quickly, instead of grabbing him by the throat and taking him to the ground. That would immediately provoke his accomplice to attack you with a weapon (if he was carrying one). He could have gutted you.

IMO the best self defense measure is hit and run and thats some advice from World champion MMA/kick-boxing instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnqpublic

I would agree with those who said the best form of self defence is sprinting but if you are confronted/cornered put a seed of doubt in their mind that there could be repercussions, something like…
    “lads do you know who my uncle is?” or “you know im related to the X’s ”
    (X being the surname of a local tough family)

Doubt is a funny thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would agree with those who said the best form of self defence is sprinting but if you are confronted/cornered put a seed of doubt in their mind that there could be repercussions, something like…
    “lads do you know who my uncle is?” or “you know im related to the X’s ”
    (X being the surname of a local tough family)

Doubt is a funny thing
    What do you do when one of the scumbags replies "That's gas. We must be cousins so! What's yore Ma's name anyway?"

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

rubabbel wrote: »
    What's a lady hammer though?

Me.

*hiyah fyave*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Something similar happened me the other night, was getting into a taxi and this scummer came over and just decked me. Anyway I'm a fairly big lad, played rugby a fair bit so Im not afraid of a bit of physicality, and no wimp, I would have had a fair chance of taking him I say but I noticed he had about 7 lads right behind him, proper big scummers so I decided to just stay on my feet and block his punches which I was pretty successful at. Had the feeling if I decked him or took him down his mates would hop in and batter me.

So I just took it really and after a bit he stopped and fecked off with his mates after screaming some abuse.

Felt pretty cowardly afterwards but I had a busted eyebrow and a black eye which is nothing, could have been worse. Reckon I did the right thing?

Pearse was lined up against a wall and shot. It didn't exactly turn out too well for him now did it.
    And German?? What history have you been studying?

THATS THE JOKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Pretend you're a viking and charge right into the bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Something similar happened me the other night, was getting into a taxi and this scummer came over and just decked me. Anyway I'm a fairly big lad, played rugby a fair bit so Im not afraid of a bit of physicality, and no wimp, I would have had a fair chance of taking him I say but I noticed he had about 7 lads right behind him, proper big scummers so I decided to just stay on my feet and block his punches which I was pretty successful at. Had the feeling if I decked him or took him down his mates would hop in and batter me.

So I just took it really and after a bit he stopped and fecked off with his mates after screaming some abuse.

Felt pretty cowardly afterwards but I had a busted eyebrow and a black eye which is nothing, could have been worse. Reckon I did the right thing?

You did the right thing. You had enough forsight to see that if you started kicking the crap out of him, it would of been 8 on 1. God knows what would of happened to you. Would of been a hell of a lot more than a blackeye and busted brow.

Although I used to think weapons such as mace and tazers were used by cowards ... but are they? ... what if you get attacked by more than one?
    But of course what type of person would you be if you always carried one.

Pepper spray is crowd control. Taser is not.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Pepper spray is crowd control. Taser is not.

in fairness, if 4 blokes are beating down on you. you'd still like that tazer ;)

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Well could you not of just tried to shove the robber off or stun one of them with a hit to the nose and try to get the hell out of there quickly, instead of grabbing him by the throat and taking him to the ground. That would immediately provoke his accomplice to attack you with a weapon (if he was carrying one). He could have gutted you.

IMO the best self defense measure is hit and run and thats some advice from World champion MMA/kick-boxing instructors.

I'd do it for sure but that was the first time something like that ever happened to me and i just reacted without thinking. They were fairly legless though so i knew what i was doing and had them sized up. They followed us into a private estate where we lived and tried to be friendly and came closer and closer. I warned them them to back off and in doing so they snapped at her bag. She held onto it for about for a sec or 2 until the strap snapped and they ran about 2 metres before i got him down. I'd never do it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

incidentally lads what city in ireland has the highest scumbag ratio, i have lived mainly in galway and limerick

galway has hardly any, we'll say 1 in every 100 citizens

limerick has a fair amount, we'll say 1 in every 20 citizens

what about cork, dublin and waterford?

and do any of the large towns have a particularly high ratio of scumbags, I heard tralee was dodgy enough

• Advertisement

I say Dublin has to take the prize with most scumbags.
    Sure Limerick is a total kip. But more people living in Dublin.

Advertisement