Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boars.ie Top Menu

Options
  • 02-05-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

I have 15 years experience using a mouse and I still find it impossible to navigate to a secondary navigation item on the hover menu at the top.

What about adopting some sort of menu like the 'Browse Categories' menu on adverts.ie?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

if you click on the categories at the top (Arts, Biz, etc), you can browse the list of forums for that category.

or you could switch to the Beta theme and type in the forum you want.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Switch to beta theme, it's a far superior menu

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

whiteman19 wrote: »
    if you click on the categories at the top (Arts, Biz, etc), you can browse the list of forums for that category.
    The less clicks the better!
    or you could switch to the Beta theme and type in the forum you want.
    Cheers wil try it out, but I wasn't posting this to solve just something I struggle with, I was posting because I would guess that 90%+ use the standard theme and I think it needs updating.

The beta theme menu is much better, although don't understand why the default one remains so bad if there are better options out there.

The beta menu has one major drawback. It follows you when you scroll down the page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ocallagh wrote: »
    The beta menu has one major drawback. It follows you when you scroll down the page.
    You can turn that off. Untick the "lock navigation" box in the menu preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I find that to be a large benefit myself. Don't have to scroll back if you want to switch forums after reading a thread.

Curiosity sake, how do you see it as a downside?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On a related note, the top menu still doesn't work in the New Search.

Orim wrote: »
    I find that to be a large benefit myself. Don't have to scroll back if you want to switch forums after reading a thread.

Curiosity sake, how do you see it as a downside?

I don't change forums too often. I was viewing it on a low res laptop last night, and it took up quite a bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The beta theme menu is much better, although don't understand why the default one remains so bad if there are better options out there.

I think the plan eventually is to have the Beta theme as the default, presumably when it's no longer a beta.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have been hard at work on the Beta UI (I guess I would have to call it pre-Alpha?) and its the next thing to be tackled.

First we want to finish a layer of API's so that we can easily do what we want to do with the UI.... plus we have to finalise and agree what that is in the first place but something similar to the Beta menu would be a good guess.

You'll see this start to be reflected in the mobile app which is coming shortly enough and in future in all our new developments.

Ultimately this will kill off skins as we dont want to write the code to support them in the future but thats a long ways off yet. The upside is that all those things that would be just small changes but we couldnt do them before because it meant breaking code base with vB3 (which is now well and truely broken!).

I hate the old javascript thing and I've been on beta for years so I forget how crappy that thing is.

I too find the fact that it follows me down the page to be a benefit rather then a negative but each to their own which is why we made it optional.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Boo to skin murder!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are alternatives which allow choice on behalf of the user but limited dev on our side.
    As it is if I had to chose one thing which slows us down inordinately.... it would be between the (broken) permissions system and the (equally broken) skin system. Its a horrible mess which massively multiplies the work to do anythin "ui"-ish on the site.

Anyway, this thread is about the user menu which IS something we intend to fix in the coming months.

DeV.

Advertisement