Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 02-05-2011 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Woken up by the sounds / smell of a fire in Dun L, Looked out window, and the flames were easily 100ft. in the air.

It appears to be the old clubhouse of Dun laoghaire golf club.

Roads closed, but can see all units from DL station are there now + several others.
    Firemen seemed to be struggling to get water pressure, all hydrants are up.

Was not in use, but hopefully nobody homeless or otherwise was injured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Indeed. It seems to be under control now.
    231179_2066289855635_1196435771_2514084_6889708_n.jpg
    I couldn't see much with all those trees in front. You must have had a better look at it with that description.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 giannidtz

I was woken up at around 3:40 by a sound that at first I thought to be hail hitting my window, when I finally noticed what was going on I called 999 at around 3:42 and I was told that the firemen were on their way. Where I live the trees didn't allow me to see much but I guess it must have been serious as around 7 you could still see some black smoke going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

It seems the club house was due to be demolished tomorrow (Tue).

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/blaze-destroys-golf-clubhouse-2635083.html
    A fire has gutted the old clubhouse at Dun Laoghaire golf club.

The fire broke out at 3.40am and quickly took hold of the building.

The flames were fought by up to 10 units of Dublin Fire Brigade -- low water pressure in the area meant two water tenders had to be sent to the scene.

A turntable ladder was brought in to deal with the flames from above, and fire tenders from Tara Street, Dun Laoghaire, and Donnybrook also attended.

The fire was burning so fiercely that the crew had to change shifts at 7am in the firefighting operation. The clubhouse had been due to be demolished tomorrow.

The cause of the blaze is not known but the building has been the target of vandals since it was closed more than a year ago.

Locals said the building had been used by people sleeping rough and that drug dealing and antisocial behaviour were a problem since it fell out of use.

Advertisement