Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on moving ...............

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Well, now that the marathon is behind me I thought I need a more appropriate title for my training log :rolleyes:

The plan now is to indeed 'keep on moving'....... hopefully forward .....and hopefully faster :D

I'm not going to do another marathon this year, my next one will be Boston 2012. As bad as I ran in Rotterdam I still got the QT with 10mins+ to spare so come September I will be able to enter on Day 2.

So for the rest of this year I am going to concentrate on getting the shorter race distance's times down. Have to say I am happy with the base I have from this winter and think most of my easy paced runs now are more in the 7:00-15 range.

My major target this year will be the Gerry Farnan x-country on October 16th.

I am going to follow Daniels 5k-15k plan for the next 6wks and then switch to the x-country plan, making minor adjustments for family, work and so on if required. I am still going to keep a decent mileage, 70'ish, as I like to get the miles done.

Think I posted these targets at the beginning of the year, but I can't locate them now, so here they are, again :rolleyes:

800m - 2:16
    1500m - 4:35
    1 mile - 4:54
    5K - 16:59
    8K - 28:15
    5 mile - 28:30
    10K - 35:45
    10 mile - 59:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

impressive targets speedy, i like it - aim high! best of luck with them....

have you a plan/order in which you are going to go after those times? build up from the bottom, or just whenever the next race comes along etc?

what are you current pb's for the distances?
    any distances that you think you will find harder/easier than others?

keep on moving speedy...will follow with intrest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Will be following with interest. Some of those targets seem easier than others ...I'd nearly aspire to the 5km, but the 10 mile looks hard.

Best of luck with it, Speedy.

Can't help thinking, though, that you clearly have a strong interest in 26.2 miles, and that your Amsterdam time was an aberration, given your training. I'd be thinking of a late summer/autumn marathon...are you sure you're not?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

seanynova wrote: »
    impressive targets speedy, i like it - aim high! best of luck with them....

have you a plan/order in which you are going to go after those times? build up from the bottom, or just whenever the next race comes along etc?

what are you current pb's for the distances?
    any distances that you think you will find harder/easier than others?

keep on moving speedy...will follow with intrest

will just take them as they come seany.
    First up will be the 5k's, then probably some track races in June.
    Don't think I'll have any 8k's or 10k's until July/August at the earliest.
    May do the Adidas 10 miler if it fits into the plan.

Current pb's (since turning 40 anyway ;))

800m - 2:19
    1500m - 4:42
    1 mile - 5:00:23
    5k - 17:39
    8K - 29:37
    5mile - 29:15
    10K - 37:34
    10 mile - 62:13

brownian wrote: »
    Will be following with interest. Some of those targets seem easier than others ...I'd nearly aspire to the 5km, but the 10 mile looks hard.

Best of luck with it, Speedy.

Can't help thinking, though, that you clearly have a strong interest in 26.2 miles, and that your Amsterdam time was an aberration, given your training. I'd be thinking of a late summer/autumn marathon...are you sure you're not?:)

cheers brownian.
    Yea, some may be easier to get, but I think with the miles under the belt from this winter that I have the strength, and I have a bit of speed anyway, so we'll see what happens ;)

re a marathon this year, nah, think I've finally came to terms with it. I KNOW I have well under a sub 3 in me, I also know only too well thats its one thing knowing it and another thing doing it :rolleyes:, but I would like to get the shorter times down, and at least now I can get back running with the club.

Also, with work I may not be able to get as many miles in as possible this summer,so at least for the shorter stuff I can still get the quality sessions done.

Just 4mls running beside the kids on their bikes.

Back to school tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Good luck with the targets Speedy. Very similar to myself. The 10 miler will be a tough 1 as the Phoenix park is hilly in parts. But with a bit of speed work its very do-able..

Speedy44 wrote: »
    will just take them as they come seany.
    First up will be the 5k's, then probably some track races in June.
    Don't think I'll have any 8k's or 10k's until July/August at the earliest.
    May do the Adidas 10 miler if it fits into the plan.

Current pb's (since turning 40 anyway ;))

800m - 2:19
    1500m - 4:42
    1 mile - 5:00:23
    5k - 17:39
    8K - 29:37
    5mile - 29:15
    10K - 37:34
    10 mile - 62:13

im not too familiar with the equivalent times but the gaps get bigger between current pb's and goals as the distance gets bigger.

some impressive times there as it stands for an old fella ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

will be aiming for some of these myself - good luck, will be following with interest speedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck with things Speedy. Looking at alot of them times they are well within reach for you and with your base should be no problem to hit this summer

On a pleasant, if a tad windy, evening in Newcastle, on the outskirts of Athenry, Co. Galway, I attempted my first short race in a while :rolleyes:

Not a great time on first glance, but I know that'll come way down in the next few weeks.

Went out a bit fast, have the garmin set to miles on autolap, so even though I changed the units to K's, it still gave me mile splits :(

FWIT, here they are:
    1ml - 5:31
    .25ml - 5:53
    .62ml - 5:55
    1ml - 6:05
    .25ml - 5:34

First k was 3:20, went out with a bunch of the lads from the club. Didn't feel too bad, knew it would feel fast so was expecting that I'd be hanging on a bit.
    There is a bit of a drag on the 2nd K, which we did in 3:40. Was surprised we slowed down so much, the group I was in had a few sub 17 lads there.
    Started hurting now but was digging in.

Hit another hill around 2.5k and now I was feeling it. Just push it to 3K and see what happens I thought. Got there with a 3:42 split, but at that point I was fairly shattered.
    Backed off a bit so that I was now in no-mans land.

Not sure of the 4K split, I was caught by one lad and had another lad on my shoulder who I knew. We had a good 'ol battle over the last 1/2ml but I never let him get ahead of me and managed to shake him over the last 200m.

Fairly wrecked at the end, but like I said, not too unhappy with it.

Another shot at it next week in Tuam.

May take a day or 2 off this week, not sure if I've done too much too soon after the marathon.
    Have a track session planned for Saturday morning, 2's & 4's.

Distance = 7mls

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Just 5.5mls easy at 7:44 pace. After last nights run, think I may have been doing some of my easy sessions at tad fast so will back off for a bit.

Thursday
    In the spirit of backing off, decided to take a day off :D

Friday
    6.5mls easy at 7:37 pace

Saturday
    With my 14yr old nephew, we hit the track at 8.30am. Normally don't like to do a quality session this early but the county juveniles were on at 11am.

Plan was 5-6 x (2x200m with 200 jog rec & 400m with 400 jog rec).
    Total is supposed to be 3-5% of weekly mileage so I had the nephew doing 3 sets while I was going to do 5, or so I thought :o

On the 3rd set I could feel the lactic acid build up coming down the home stretch so rather than pushing it too much (have another 5K race on Tuesday) I decided to just do the 3 sets as well.

Here's the times:
    200m - 32
    200m - 36
    400m - 75
    200m - 34
    200m - 35
    400m - 73
    200m - 34
    200m - 33
    400m - 71

Nice to get something short & sharp done for a change, looking forward to doing the 6 sets and maybe knocking off a couple of secs.

Was just about hanging on to the nephew at the end!
    He ran 4:40 for the 1500m a couple of weeks ago, and won by 21secs !

Distance = 6.25mls

Had origionally planned 15mls for today but after yesterday's speedwork session, and my decision to back off a bit this week, I decided to just do 13mls.

That was then cut to 10mls as I was 'lucky' enough to bump into 2 lads from the club at the start of the run, one of them is a 2:28 marathon lad and the other 'slow' lad is a sub 58 10miler.

I/we had planned to just do a mile or so on around the pitches then join up with the main group from the club, who normally start off their Sunday morning runs at 8min+ pace and ease up to 7:30-40 or so.
    Unfortunately we left it too late so we missed them which left me & the 2 lads.

Our first mile was 7:29, (1/4ml by myself) but then we threw in a 7:16. The next 2mls has some very big climbs which we did in 7:28 & 7:44, then we threw in a 7:17. The pace normally quickens after this so at this point I (wisely) decided to back off the pace.
    My hamstrings were a bit tight from yesterday and doing 13mls at 7:00+ pace wouldn't have been the smartest thing to do, especially with the race on Tuesday evening.

My last 5mls were a more leisurely 7:27, 7:41, 7:41, 7:49 & 7:51.

Distance = 10mls
    Time = 75:48

Week Distance = 39.25mls

Was just about hanging on to the nephew at the end!
    He ran 4:40 for the 1500m a couple of weeks ago, and won by 21secs !

is you nephew being coached? thats impressive from a young lad....

good luck with the speed training speedy....big change from tempo stuff!

is you nephew being coached? thats impressive from a young lad....

good luck with the speed training speedy....big change from tempo stuff!

cheers seany,
    yea, speedwork is definitely a big change, havn't had that lactic acid feeling in a while, its a different feeling than when your doing a session like 20min T or even mile reps.

The nephew has a 'coach' at his club, but myself and my brother (2:17 marathon pb) are also advicing him.
    At this young age we're not putting any pressure on him, just telling him to enjoy himself. He's still playing a bit of basketball too so as to not get to hung up on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

My hamstrings were a bit tight from yesterday and doing 13mls at 7:00+ pace wouldn't have been the smartest thing to do, especially with the race on Tuesday

Hoping to race on Tuesday Speedy so might see u there....I'd say we'll be hitting a similar pace

cheers seany,
    yea, speedwork is definitely a big change, havn't had that lactic acid feeling in a while, its a different feeling than when your doing a session like 20min T or even mile reps.

The nephew has a 'coach' at his club, but myself and my brother (2:17 marathon pb) are also advicing him.
    At this young age we're not putting any pressure on him, just telling him to enjoy himself. He's still playing a bit of basketball too so as to not get to hung up on it yet.

is his old man the 2:17marathoner, its in the genes by the looks of it...we'll be looking out for the speedy14 so in the future ;)

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Hoping to race on Tuesday Speedy so might see u there....I'd say we'll be hitting a similar pace

nice one Gringo, I'll be the lad with the shiny head and the white singlet with red stripe (GCH) :D

is his old man the 2:17marathoner, its in the genes by the looks of it...we'll be looking out for the speedy14 so in the future ;)

nah, its my sister thats his mum although she just took up running about 6wks ago and is already up to doing 40mins and did a 27min 5k a couple of wks ago, so maybe it is in the genes !!

nice one Gringo, I'll be the lad with the shiny head and the white singlet with red stripe (GCH) :D

Will have to wait until craughwell to make my galway debut so see you next week. Best of luck this evening.

Tuam 5K - 18:34 :eek:

Not sure what happen here. Here's the splits:
    3:31, 3:26, 3:50, 3:58 & 3:46.

On first glance a person may think I went out too fast,but I was actually going out conservatively, I thought! Last week I went through in 3:20.

Plan was to take it easy'ish for the first k. The 2nd k was downhill so figured some time could be made up there.
    Felt ok at the start, in control. Happy with first split. Once we started bombing down the hill though, I didn't exactly feel relaxed. Downhills are never my speciality.
    When we hit 2k in 6:57, I thought to just try to stay calm & strong now for the next couple of K, but not long after I was struggling.
    The 3K split in 10:47 left me 5secs back on last week, and at this point I was hanging on. Had a pain in my left side (think it may have been the raisins I ate a couple of hours before the start?).
    Now there were people streaming past me who I normally beat handily.
    Managed a bit of a kick in the last 100m or so.

Don't really know what the hell is going on. A couple of months back on high mileage and hard training I did 29:15 for 5mls, I think I went through 3k in 18mins. I also did a timetrial on the track in 17:42.

Don't think I came back too hard too soon after the marathon.

Tbh, I think I just have to try and enjoy it more and just get some easy miles under my belt, join up for the club sessions, and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

How long ago was Rotterdam? 5 weeks ago?

How many track sessions have you done?

Have you had any interval sessions in the last few weeks? I think after marathon training it can take a bit of time to sharpen up at the shorter stuff and you would be unused to running at 5k pace - its a tough pace to run at, very uncomfortable and you can be off the pace by up to a minute quite easily by either being tired or not used to the pace. By not used to the pace I mean backing off unneccessarily. A few hard interval sessions of 200-800m reps at 1 mile race pace & faster would sort you out I'd say.

Wednesday
    Rest, for no other reason than I couldn't be bothered.
    Thanks for the comments Misty & Gringo, they all make sence and I am not going to beat myself up too much about it.

Thursday
    Just 6 easy miles at 7:42 pace. Had planned to do 8 but ran out of time.

Friday
    An unplanned day off.
    Working a lot of hours these days so I think I'm going to have to start getting my runs in before work because by the time I get home I am shattered and also been pulled left, right & centre by the demands of the kids & the dogs :rolleyes:

Saturday
    First club session in a long time, and have to say I enjoyed it immensely :)
    Good group of us, 10 or so, with a few sub 16 5k lads mixed in with sub 2min 800m lads who are just breaking into the senior ranks.
    Plan was for 2 x 8 x 30sec hills with 1min rec, 3mins between sets.

Felt ok in the first set until the 6th one or so. Was keeping in touch with the group. Legs were starting to feel a bit jellyish though.
    Had woke up later than I planned, only an hour before the session and hadn't eaten my usual bowl of porridge & raisins.
    Decided to shorten the 2nd set, so did 3 reps, took one off, and then did the final 3.
    Shattered at the end, but happy with the effort.

Going to start upping the mileage again slowly and do the club sessions as well as following daniels 5-15K plan.

The appetite is back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Wednesday

Glad to hear. The hunger is the hardest thing to get back when you lose it but can also be the most important element of training. Regardless of the ups and downs just remember to enjoy it

Going to start upping the mileage again slowly and do the club sessions as well as following daniels 5-15K plan.

doing the club sessions will be no harm when following the 5-15k programme...prob make the running more enjoyable like.

should be a good summer ahead for you, plenty 5m, 10k's etc to keep you motivated for oct.

Have been totally neglecting my log here :o

So, let me see, for the past 3wks I have done ................ not much!

May 16th-22nd

Tuesday - 8.25mls at 6:57 pace, 5mls tempo thrown in at 6:32pace.

Wednesday - 6.5mls easy

Friday -
    8 x 400m on grass with 400m rec.
    Times were: 76, 76, 75, 74, 72, 70, 70, 70.
    Picked up a new pair of racing flats, felt great wearing them.

Week Distance = 22mls :(

May 23rd-29th

Tuesday - 5.5mls

Thursday - 8.25mls @ 7.07 pace, 5mls @ 6:44 pace

Week Distance = 13.75mls :mad:

May 30th-June 4th

Monday - 5.5mls easy

Tuesday -
    Ran the 5K race in Galway, but just did it as a tempo. Have to say I really enjoyed it, felt nice & relaxed. Splits were 3:57, 3:52, 3:52, 3:55 & 3:43.

Thursday - 8mls easy @ 7:27 pace

Saturday -
    5 x 4mins with 90 secs rec. Hit 3:37 going through each of the k's, so the consistancy was great. Could have done 1 or 2 more but didn't want to push it. Also didn't go too hard on the reps.
    Did it with the club and enjoyed it.

Well, at least I'm still getting out consistently. :rolleyes:

Sunday 5th - Did 11mls at 7.32pace

Last week I got out 5 days, 2 Q sessions, 2 x 8ml runs and 1 10.5ml run.

The Q sessions were:
    4 x(3min hard, 2min rec, 1min hard, 1min rec). This was hard, started off too fast.

On Saturday I did 4 x (2 x 200m/200m jog rec, 400m/400m jog rec).
    Average pace was 34secs & 76 secs. Felt good doing these, in control.

This week:

Mon - rest

Tues - 6.5mls, was tired towards the end of this. I am now training groups of people 3 hrs each morning. It is only walking & jogging, some faster running, but I am shattered after it.
    It's going to take me a while to adapt to this schedule. I am getting lots of sleep which is helping.

Wed - 5.5mls easy

Thursday -
    5000m County Track Championships.

Didn't really have an idea of what to expect with this. My last 2 5k races were 18:10 & 18:34 a month or so ago. Took 2 very easy weeks since then, and have been slowly trying to build up.

Had my 3hrs work this morning, tried to get some of my team leader to take some of them.

Anyway, to the race.

First 200m was 39secs, of course it felt like we were barely moving.
    81 secs 400m, next 400m was 86secs.
    1k - 3:30
    2K - 3:37
    3K - 3:36
    4K - 3:43
    5K - 3:28 ( 79sec last lap)

Finished in 17:58, have to say while I am not over the moon, I'm happy enough. Was running with a couple of lads, made a move by one of them with about 1K to go, and went by the other one with 300m left and gave it everything to get the sub 18.
    Pleasantly surprised that I did :D

I think once I get used to work and get a few more weeks training behind me, I'll be able to get some decent results.

Nice to meet Gringo there who had a good run, congrats buddy.

Took yesterday off, still conscious of not doing too much too soon what with training people 3hrs/day. Think I'm getting in about 4-5mls there, its very slow, but I can still feel the affects. As the groups get fitter, the distance will only increase, before I know it I'll be doing 100mls+/wk :eek:

Today I did the same session as last Saturday.
    4 x (2 x 200m R pace, 200m jog rec, 400m R, 400m rec).
    Splits were 33, 37, 76, 35, 35, 76, 34, 36, 76, 35, 36, 76.

Tried to concentrate on running relaxed and not pushing it too hard.

Good session.

12mls at 7:27 pace.
    Did this later than usual as I felt like a bit of a ly-in this morning.
    Felt good.

WEEK DISTANCE = 40mls

• Advertisement

Monday

6.5mls at 7:20 pace.
    1st mile was 7:58, after that they were all 7:15 or so, with one of ghem at 7:05.
    Felt very good, light & strong :D

Advertisement