Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on moving ...............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Didn't manage to get a lot myown training in on Tuesday & Wednesday, did get about 5mls in with my athletes though.

Thursday

County Track in Dangan, Galway.

They ran the Masters with the Seniors, which I was actually glad about because the Masters was seriously depleted when a couple of my buddies opted out:(

Was aiming for 75sec laps but got caught between 2 groups on the 1st lap which we went through in 76secs.
    Made a 'bold' move coming onto the 2nd lap, as it was windy I was hesitant, but I didn't want to get caught with a slow pace.
    2nd lap was also 76secs.
    I caught a couple of other lads and pushed on from there.

Missed the 1200m splits, but my last lap was 72 secs which I was happy enough with.

Would have liked a couple of secs faster but tbh with myself, I am not getting the training in required to go that fast - yet.

Did 10mls with my athletes this starting at 10am this morning.
    The 10mls was a combination of running with the first group (4mls - 2mls at 9:40 pace, 1ml. at 6:30pace.
    Then I did another 3mls slightly slower and finally another 3mls.

Straight onto the track after that.
    Was going to do 5-6 x 1k with 200m jog recovery.

First one was 3:28, then 3:27. Felt pretty good in these and thought that I could go a few secs faster

The 3rd rep was 3:30, and it was hard. Amazing how quick the wheels can come off.
    The 4th was 3:38, decided to pull the plug at that point. Even though the 10mls was slow and a lot of stop/start stuff, it still took it out of me.

14mls at 7:39 pace at 9am.

Nice morning for it. Still no sun in the west unfortunately, but at least it stopped bloody raining for a few minutes.
    Nice warm breeze blowing too.

Started off with a few 8min+ mls, finished up the last 4mls at 7:20 pace.

Felt good, arms a bit heavy though. Been meaning to clear out my home gym so I can start doing circuits again.

6.2mls at 7:25 pace.
    Felt good, sun was actually attempting to peak through !!

Hi All,

Just wanted to tell you about the non-profit organisation that I have started. Its called 'On the road again'. It is set up to help people dealing with homelessness & mental health issues get back on their feet through a regular fitness program, be it walking or running.

Please take a minute to check it out, and if you like it, go to our facebook page, and tell your friends.

www.ontheroadagain.ie

Here is a piece that ran on the Morning Show on TV3 last Wednesday:

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=37358&locID=1.65.370&date=2011-06-29&date_mode=1&page=1&show_cal=2&newspanel=&showspanel=1&web_only=&full_episodes=

Thank You

• Advertisement

Monday
    6.16mls at 7:27 pace + 2mls easy jog with work

Tuesday
    4.5mls very jog with work

Wednesday
    6.5mls at 6.20am. Beautiful morning for a run.

Thursday
    800m County Champ's.
    Held back a bit for the first lap, went through in 73. Moved onto the shoulders of the leaders with 200m to go and kicked 80m out. Wasn't expecting them to respond as they did, I had to really dig in to hold on.
    galway-track-field-300611-015

Friday
    4mls easy. Was shattered today for some reason.
    I was going to do 8mls by myself but I started running out of gas. Last mile was 8:38 :eek:

Total Distance = 8mls

Saturday
    Didn't know what to do today. I had the option of doing the club session (no time), waiting until after work and doing the club session by myself (5 x 5mins) or do a 3K TT.

So, 1st K was 3:17, then 3:25, then wheels came off and did a 3:42 to finish in 10:25.

Distance = 5mls

Sunday
    14.5mls at 7:32 pace.
    Wound this one up. Started at 8:10 pace, finished at 6:49 !
    Felt ok, a bit tired towards the end. Was a great morning for it.

WEEK DISTANCE = 50mls

Tuesday

Took yesterday off.

Managed to squeeze in 4 x 4 x 400m at lunchtime with 2 buddies from the club. Took 30secs rec between reps and 3min (400m jog) between sets.

Times were:
    82, 80, 78, 79
    81, 79, 81, 80
    79, 80, 79, 79
    78, 76, 81, 77

Good session, felt like it's been a while since I managed to get one like this done.

Distance = 7mls

Missed getting out for a run on Wednesday. Was busy all day and it was pissing rain, so when I got home I put the gear on and stuck the garmin outside to pick up the oul satillites.
    After 5mins I headed out to run, but still no connection, then the dinner was coming out on the table, so I took it as a sign :rolleyes:

Thursday

Planned to do just a 15min tempo with the club, only did 10mins.
    Not sure exactly of the pace, hit the wrong button on the watch, but one of the lads said it was 5:56/ml.

Cut it short as I have an 8K race tomorrow, plus I had eaten luch only 80mins before I ran and I was starting to feel it.

Distance = 6mls

Friday

6mls easy at 7:44 pace.

Saturday

After going to a good friends wedding last night, I decided it may be a better idea to give my race a miss this evening :rolleyes:
    Don't think I'm in great racing shape anyway so wasn't too pushed.

Sunday

15mls easy at 7:36/ml pace, the nephew accompanied me for 8 of them, and a dog for 6 !
    Started slow as usual, 8:11 pace, then settled into 7:40'ish. Dog joined us around 6mls, couldn't get rid of him so once the nephew stopped at the house at 8.25mls, I took on some water (I was still dehydrated from Friday I think, muscles felt sore) and backtracked with the dog.
    Eventually found his house after inquiring with some people, and turned back towards home.

Good run, a few of the last mls were in the 7:15 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

are you still on for an autumn race? (10k is it?)

your getting good enough mileage at the mo for just being in general training, so its looking good when it kicks off proper

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    are you still on for an autumn race? (10k is it?)

your getting good enough mileage at the mo for just being in general training, so its looking good when it kicks off proper

kind of up in the air at the moment as far as a target goes.
    Feel like I am just ticking over right now, but I am going to start up a version Daniels Plan A tomorrow.
    I was happy with how I was going when I was doing it for Rotterdam, and this way I can do DCM if things work out that way.

Will probably do an 8K, 10K & a 1/2 in the next couple of months.

Monday
    Did a couple of very slow miles with OTRA, then did another 5.25mls by myself at 7:32 pace.
    Legs felt a bit sore & heavy after yesterday, but I actually felt better towards the end of the run.

Tuesday
    5 x 1k off 75secs rec (80 for last rec!).
    3:33, 3:30, 3:31, 3:33 & 3:42.

It was hot on the track today, did the session at 1pm with 2 club mates.
    Felt ok at the beginning but hanging on the stick to the pace after 3rd one.
    Purposely pulled back a bit for the last one as didn't want to totally kill myself.
    The lads I run with are in sub 17 territory so are more able to handle this pace at the moment, whereas I think me pushing it to hang on to them would end up doing more damage than good.

I think a better session would have been 8 x 1k off 90secs at 3:40 pace.

Hi All,

Just wanted to give ye a quick update on the charity that I am involved with.

If you wish, you can take a minute to check us out on facebook, and if you like what we are doing, spread the word.

We are trying to get as many people as possible to like us to increase the chances of us going nationwide.

Thanks a million,

www.facebook.com/getOTRAnow

Thursday

At 7.15am, I ran 4mls very easy. Nice to get out early in the peace & qiuiet.

At 6.15pm I ran 8.25mls.
    First mile was 8.12 or something, and I didn't feel great.
    Then I started to feel really good so I ran freely and the next mile was 7:12. This was followed by a 7:19, then I started to get really tired, the legs felt like jelly!
    Put the breaks on big time and the next mile was 8mins. he rest of them were in the 7:50 range, and I came home feeling relatively comfortable.

There's a moral there somewhere :rolleyes:

Friday

Anyone whoever saw the classic Monty Python film, 'Life of Brian' will be familer with the term "he's making it up as he goes along" :D

Well, that was what todays session was like.
    I had it down as a Q session, just hadn't decided what exactly that would comprise of. Had one of my clubmates there for company, but he had gone hard last night, so wasn't inclined to push it too much today.

After a 2ml warm up, I picked up the pace, with either 4-5mls of a tempo in mind, or 2 x 12mins. Of course this would have meant different paces.
    First check on the pace had me at 6:15, I was ok, but I still felt I can't keep this up for 4mls.
    I started to get into it a bit then, but then I started to work harder than I probably should be doing, so I decided to pull the plug at 2.5mls (6:20 pace).

Took 3mins of a jog, then did 1.5mls at 6:05 pace.
    Was going to wrap it up then, but decided to take a 2min jog and do either 1/2ml or 3/4ml, settled on the 1/2 which I did at 5:44 pace.
    Then, just for the laugh, after a 1min jog, threw in a 1/4ml at 5:20 pace!

Good session, one of my hardest for a while. Happy enough with the mix.

Distance = 8.25mls

Speedy44 wrote: »
    kind of up in the air at the moment as far as a target goes.
    Feel like I am just ticking over right now, but I am going to start up a version Daniels Plan A tomorrow.
    I was happy with how I was going when I was doing it for Rotterdam, and this way I can do DCM if things work out that way.

Will probably do an 8K, 10K & a 1/2 in the next couple of months.

prob not a bad idea, you seem to like the high mileage training anyway so add a few Q sessions and you may well just be in your best marathon shape!

good luck with it, your 1k interval pace is well below where it needs to be anyway so your off to a good start

Saturday

Just a nice easy 5.5mls at 7:55 pace. Tired after yesterday.

Sunday

Waited unitl 5pm to go out due to a few largers last night with some old school mates.
    Started off with an 8min ml, then a 7:39, and after that it was all roughly 7:27 or so.
    Deliberately held back due to last nights festivites and the recent runs where I hit a bit of a wall towards the end. Mile 8 was 7:13 and mile 12 was 7:16.

Felt ok at the end of it as well, a bit sore, and very thirsty.

Week Distance = 53.75mls

Monday
    Just an easy 5.5mls to recover from yesterday. Quads were pretty sore afterwards, have to start drinking more water.

Tuesday
    Did a couple of miles accompanying my little girl on her bike, then another easy 6 slow miles by myself. Slowest I've ran for a while, average 8:20-8:30 :eek:
    May have a very long run coming up in a few months so have to start to get used to running slow, or so I've been told.

Wednesday
    6.5mls on grass, quads almost back to normal. Forgot the Garmin.

Thursday
    10mls steady. Just ran this one to get it done.

Our poor dog got hit by a car and killed this morning, and the kids are off camping with their mum, so not sure what to tell them when they get back.

I think my adrenalin was kicking in or something cause splits were:

8:00
    7:30
    7:10
    6:55
    6:48
    6:40
    6:32
    6:31
    6:40
    6:25

Under normal circumstances I'd be happy with that, but not today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Speedy44 wrote: »

Our poor dog got hit by a car and killed this morning, and the kids are off camping with their mum, so not sure what to tell them when they get back.

:( Sorry to hear that. Horrible news to have to break :(

Friday
    7mls easy on Grass

Saturday
    8mls easy

Sunday
    18mls easy - Headed out at 10.30am and was shocked at how humid it was. It got so bad that I was forced to double back home and change into fresh shorts and tshirt at 12mls because I was sweating so much :eek:

I actually did my before and after weight test, I lost almost 7lbs on the run :eek::eek:

Was going slower than normal today, but with the heat and the step up in mileage, it wasn't a concern.

Distance = 18mls
    Time = 2:20:14 (7:47/ml)

Week Distance = 63mls

Monday
    8.25 tired mls.
    Really struggled to get going in this one.
    8:28 first ml and 8:15 next one. Finally got it down to a decent average of 7:55.
    Actually started to feel better towards the end of the run which should be a good sign.
    I know I shouldn't be concerned anyway about times during a recovery run :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    Was in Dublin most of the day. Brought my gear with me and almost went for a run in the park between meetings, but was afraid I'd be smelly & sweating for my next one :D
    Got back around 4pm and got in a nap for an hr or so, then headed out for 5.5mls easy.
    Was expecting to feel like crap with all the driving and such, and the heat, but I felt brilliant.
    The first mile was 7:47, the rest were 7:12, 7:13, 7:03, 7:08, and the last 1/2 ml was at 6:56 pace.
    Was running really comfortable and when I saw 7:12 for the 2nd ml tried to apply the breaks.

Wednesday
    Debating whether to do 2-3 x 15mins or something else, opted for something else.
    Did an 8ml tempo over a very hilly route (I am already thinking of the Boston Marathon ;)).

Splits were:
    6:57, 6:36, 6:51, 6:34, 6:34, 6:42, 6:34 & 6:41 (average 6:41).

Happy with this. The first 2mls had to monster hills on it, as did ml 6, the rest were a combination of long & rolling, with a few short steep one's throw in to keep it interesting.
    After I got over the first 2mls, and did the 6:51 on ml 3, didn't think I'd make the entire 8mls, but then I recovered well on the smaller hills, and was surprised to be running 6:34's.

Did a mile warm up & warm down to make it an even 10mls.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    At 7.45am I did a very easy 4mls to loosen out from yesterday.
    Been a long time since I averaged 4mls so slow :rolleyes:

Didn't have to wait long before I ran another 4mls even slower I'd say!
    Was training my group so happy to keep it nice n' easy. Tied on another 2mls at the end to make it 10mls for the day.

Friday
    I think I better decide soon what the hell my main target will be.
    Today I opted to jump in with a club 'fartlec' at lunchtime, more for the company than anything else really.
    After doing about 2.5mls of a warm up we were straight into it. Ended up doing 5 efforts consisting of 1 x 1k and 4 x 600m.
    It wasn't a fartlec really in the true sence of the word, more of a repetition session. Myself and another lad were in the first group, then the others scattered behind us. They would walk at teh end of each effort to recover, which in my book means that the effort was too hard, fartlec should be continueous running. :rolleyes:

Think my splits were like so:
    1K - 3:24
    600m - 5:10 pace
    600m - 5:20 pace
    600m - 5:37 pace
    600m - 5:05 pace

I know I slowed down purposely on the 3rd 600m aas my legs were starting to get heavy and I was conscious of the big mileage week I'm doing. Still though, was surprised with the diffferences in the times. Think the course may have had something to do with it as we had to go under some wooded area at times. The 1st & last 600m efforts were on the same stretch, which was more or less clear of trees, so I think thats more of an accurate indicater, at least I hope it is;)

Distance = 9mls

Saturday
    7.25mls easy on grass. Legs felt ok after yesterday.

Sunday
    20mls at about 7:38 pace.

Felt ok, tired on the last few miles, not surprising considering this was my longest week since March.

Week Distance = 70mls

Month Distance =247.25mls

Year to date = 1,506mls

Monday
    Planned day off, should be the last one for a long time :eek:

Tuesday
    At 12.30pm, I met a lad from the club with the plan to do 2 x 4 x 800m off 1min, with 2mins between the sets.
    It was hot out, shorts & flats weather, which I love, makes me feel young again :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is what happened:
    2:41, 2:41, 2:41, 2:40 - 2:40, 2:50, 82, 80

As you can see, I didn't quiet make it.
    Could feel the heavy legs on rep 3 or 4, was breathing harder than I should have been as well I think, the min rec wasn't doing it.
    Will probably run the Streets of Galway 8k this Saturday evening so with that in mind, I decided to use my head.

Now, excuses time ;)
    Was probably tired from ramping up the past 3wks, probably stepped up more than I should have. Still, good session all the same.

Distance = 8mls

Wednesday
    Just did 6.5mls easy to recover from yesterdays session. Pace was 8:05.

Thursday
    Ended up having a different kind of session last night after my daughters school play, so an unplanned day off :rolleyes:

Friday

Ran out of time, damn it - I know thats a silly excuse, only way I can justify it is that its a scheduled down week anyway :(

Saturday
    Streets of Galway 8K.

Missed the button on my garmin at the start and didn't hit it 'til about 10-15mts into it. Clocked it at 29:08, that's a pb by about 31secs, although it will be a few seconds slower than that.

Had changed the units to metric, but forgot to change the autolap as well.
    Checked pace in first ml and it was at 3:13 at one point, most of the time it was 3:20-25 when I checked. Managed to get it down to 3:34 at one point.
    Anyway, mile splits were:
    5:31
    5:55
    5:59
    5:59
    5:52
    Have to say I'm happy enough with it. Going into the race, I would have liked to get a sub 29, but realistically, I didn't think I was in that shape.
    When I ran 29:15 for the 5mls back in Feb, I was in great shape and in the midst of marathon training. Averaged 5:50's there, 5:51 today.

Was using the K splits as a guideline, think at 2k I was 6:58, 3k - 10:37, 4K - 14:17, not too sure after that.

Caught a group that went off too fast (and I thought I went off too fast!) after about 2K. At that point we were running into the wind & rain, thankfully it was only for a few 100mts. A lad that I have been having a few good battles with this year caught me and from there on in he was on my shoulder all the way. I was literally hanging on to him a lot of the time, thats if you can hang on to someone from the front :rolleyes:

Hit the hill just after 4k, dug in there, was going K to K now. Felt a good surge at 6K and I felt like I was picking up the pace. He moved again at 7k and I had to let him go. There was 4 of us in the group, I could hear the other lads behind me. I made a move again at 500m out, was dying at this stage, 200m was still holding him off. With 100m to go we turned into the finish and I kicked for home.

The other guy had a good 10-15mts on me, but I just missed him by a metre. If I had thought I could have caught him I probably could have dug some more :mad:

good job in the 8k speedy....your motoring along nicely under the radar! just posted on smmoore's log 12weeks to DCM tomorrow - get in!!

Sunday
    15mls nice n' easy, well, nice n' slow anyway :rolleyes:
    Was going to go out with the club but didn't get a good nights sleep so decided to grab a couple of extra hours.
    Headed out about 10.30am with the nephew. He's just starting back after a 2 week break so just did 4mls with me.
    I felt sore & tired after last night, to be expected. After the 1st mile of 8:32, the rest of them were a few secs under the 8min mark.

Week Distance = 37.5mls

Monday
    6.75mls on grass at 8:07 pace. Still sore & tired

Tuesday
    Up and down to Dublin for meetings today, so didn't get out 'til 7pm.
    8.25mls by myself at 7:40 pace. Felt ok at the beginning but tired again towards the end of it. Not as sore.

Wednesday
    In the torrential rain, not to mention the wind, I did 10mls at 7:33 pace. Felt pretty good overall, a bit strange in the first few mls where I felt like putting the boot down while at the same time feeling tired, or more jelly like feeling in the legs :confused:
    Maybe it was the Chia seeds I started taking ;)

Thursday
    Had planned to do 13mls with 10 pmp (6:40'ish). Did 8 a few weeks ago so though it would be no problem.Was doing it over a very hilly route.

After the first mile of 8:12, I hit the first hill, a very steep son of a b**tch.
    Attacked it as last time. Hit the bottom of the next hill which brought me to the end of mile 2, in 6:42.
    The next hill wasn't quiet as long, but it was steeper, so got stuck into this one as well and did a 6:44.
    Mile 4 was a nice dowhill section so I tried to relax, this gave me a 6:36. Not too bad I was thinking, the first half is definitely harder.
    The next mile started off downhill, flattened out, and then hit the hills again, 6:50.
    This hill was about 2.3mls long, and it killed me :mad:

Dragged myself through it with a 7:16, at this point I knew I was in trouble, next 2mls were both hard 7:25's, then I had to take the foot off the gas. I was done.

Stuggled the rest of the way back with 7:59, 8:11, 8:18, 10:01 & 9:58 (had to walk during the last 2mls).

In reflection, I think we're I screwed up was that I did the first 3mls too hard. During the 8ml tempo a few wks back, I didn't have the 2 & a 1/2 ml mountain to climb, I was able to recover and then just take the smaller rolling hills in my stride.

Lesson learned anyway, looking forward to tackling this beast a few more time in the next few months.

Distance = 13mls
    Time = 1:41:59 (7:49)

Friday
    4 very easy recovery miles at 8:11 pace. Felt ok surprisingly.

Saturday
    First I did 3mls easy byself, then I did 5mls easier with the group of lads I'm training :D, just what I needed to recover.

Sunday
    20mls at 7:37 pace at 9am. Perfect morning for it, well, maybe a bit too windy, but still, nice and mild, with the odd shower thrown in to cool me down.
    Did the first 12mls by myself, took a gel then, the nephew joined me for the last 8mls.
    Felt ok more or less the whole way. Started to get a bit tired about 14-15mls, but felt better then towards the end. After the first mile at 8:09, and mile 9 at 7:23, the rest of them were 7:33-7:39, so nice and even.

Actually felt like going out for a few more miles later!!

Week Distance = 70mls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi speedy - which marathon are you training for? Thought you were going for boston....are you having a sneaky look at the DCM? Good run BTW

• Advertisement

Hi speedy - which marathon are you training for? Thought you were going for boston....are you having a sneaky look at the DCM? Good run BTW

Hi TBB, I'm still going for Boston (entry date September 14th :D ), but at the mo I'm training for a charitable gig I may be undertaking in a few months. Right now we are trying to sort out all the logistics, hope to be able to announce it by mid September.

Advertisement