Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on moving ...............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Monday
    6.5 recovery miles at 7:25/ml pace after yesterdays long run.
    Was pissing down, as usual, but I actually felt very good :)

Tuesday
    Bit of a dragged out session today. Training 2 different groups, so between the 2 of them I managed 10mls at 8:49/ml pace (no, that was not a typo:rolleyes:).
    Probably just what the doctor ordered.

Wednesday
    After attempting this same run last Thursday and bombing, I made sure to go out a lot easier this week and leave plenty in the tank for the 2.7ml climb half way through.

After a first mile of 8:20, the next 10 were like so:
    7:06
    7:07
    6:52
    6:59
    7:07
    6:46
    6:37
    6:41
    6:34
    6:23

Average 6:49/ml for the 10mls. This is has a 350ft climb in there so it is a tough course.
    Felt strong out there today, especially on the long hill where I died last week.
    My only concern was the pounding my knees were taking coming down the hills.

Did 2mls easy at the end in 7:22 & 7:32 as a cool down.

Distance = 13.25mls
    Time = 1:33:27 (7:03/ml)

Thursday
    11mls at 7:48 pace. Not too bad after yesterdays pmp run.

Friday
    Went for a 2ml run with the dog first and then did another 8.25mls by myself.
    Averaged 7:39 for the lot.

Saturday
    Bit of a mixed bag.
    First I did 9mls by myself at about 7:35 pace. Took in the prom in Salthill and it was a picture perfect morning for it.
    Then I met with the lads I'm training to give them some instructions which meant I took a 5min break.
    Felt like sh*t when I got going again and the next 6mls were closer to 8min pace.
    Took a 3min dip in the lake to help the legs, something I'm going to have to get used to I suppose :rolleyes:

Then, I drove to Oughterard where I was organising a 10k race for Sunday as I had to run the course to make sure all was it was supposed to be.
    Took a gel before this, but I should have taken 2 or 3 of them I felt so tired.

Still, 21.5mls total for the day.

Sunday
    Up at 6am to organise the race.
    By the time I got home it was close to 3pm, tried to take a power nap but wasn't as tired as I thought I was, so got the gear on and headed out the door.
    Felt surprisingly great, think its a good sign that I'm recovering well.
    Took off the shirt and was just running in shorts and shoes, which I love.
    Just did 4.5mls at about 7:15 pace

Weeks Distance = 77mls

Monday
    At 10.30am I did a nice easy 5.25mls with my group, just what I needed.
    Last night I very stupidly had 3 burgers. It wasn't any fast food shi*e which I never touch, they were from the butchers, and were just to damn good, but did I ever pay the price.
    I was up at midnight with stomach pains and didn't get back to bed again until after 3am.

Got another 8.25mls in at 5.30pm at 7:54 pace.
    Felt ok, better the longer the run went on.

Tuesday
    Had a meeting in Dublin today which meant I was out for 6.5mls at 7.20am. Took me a while to get going but I felt ok at the end of it.

Wednesday
    My group were taking part in a 5K in Oranmore so I decided, what the hell :rolleyes:, even though I haven't done any speed work of late.
    A decent field there, about 360 in total, and a few guys I knew I could latch on to.

Splits were:
    3:27
    3:45
    3:35
    3:36
    3:35

Happy enough with it. Finished 12th, and think I won the M40 cat.
    Ran with a group of 4-5 for the 1st K, then pushed on up the hill on the 2nd K.
    Course was an out and back. Unfortunately you had to almost come to a complete stop to turn around a cone in the middle of the road to come back.
    Was running solo after the 1st K but had some lads in my sights. Closed on one of them at about 3.5K, he made a few moves to go by me over the duration, but I dug in and kept him off.
    Had a good sprint finish, especially when I saw the clock rapidly approaching 18min, finished in 17:58.

Felt strong for most of it which is hopefully down to the mileage I'm doing.
    Not sure if I will do another race, maybe try a 10K towards the end of September.

Distance = 7mls

Thursday
    At 10.30am I did 5.83mls very slow (9:09/ml), still I suppose it was ok to do it after yesterdays race.

At 6pm I did 6.5mls easy at 8/min pace. Felt sluggish at first but got into it towards the end.

Friday
    9.59mls at 8:36 pace.
    The first 2mls were 10:19 & 11:58, the next 2mls were 8:47 & 8:07, the rest of them were 7:41 average.

Not sure if I have to rethink this running slow lark with my group. Don't know if its benefiting me too much. Although at least it should maybe prepare me to run slow come December :rolleyes:

Saturday
    12mls average 8:20 pace.
    Same deal, first six miles were 10:24, 9:30, 9:21, 8:54, 8:38 & 8:09.
    Then they were 7:25, 7:25, 7:24, 7:28, 7:41 & 7:35.

Soaked the legs in the lake for 5mins afterwards.

Sunday
    At 7:15am, I did 24mls, equals my longest run ever.

Times were:
    8:34, 8:02, 7:48, 7:44, 7:45, 7:53
    7:42, 7:44, 7:47, 7:51, 7:54, 7:47
    7:40, 7:42, 7:47, 7:40, 7:48, 7:52
    7:49, 8:03, 7:59, 8:00, 7:56, 8:05

Average 7:52 for the lot.
    Not too bad, tired towards the end, but kept it even enough. Didn't take on water until 17mls (+ gel).

Have to get used to this as I plan on getting up as far as 30mls :eek:
    The good thing is that I appear to be recovering ok, and even felt like I could do a few more miles this afternoon.

Easy week next week to recover, only 70mls :)

Week Distance = 85mls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

24 miles:eek: thats savage stuff Speedy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

your some man for the mileage speedy, you will be in peak shape starting the marathon training at the rate your going....flying! keep it up...

i know what you mean about running mile 'too' slow, ive been doing a lot of slow miles this time also, wonder if i should be going a bit faster....but in saying that, you are getting a lot of fast miles in also so it might be fairly well balanced

Monday
    6.5mls recovery run at 7:45/ml pace after yesterdays adventure.
    Quads were sore, and felt a twinge in the left ITB near the end, but thankfully nothing major.

Tuesday
    An even easier day than yesterday, 5.5mls at 9:10 pace.
    Quads still sore but not as bad.
    ITB ok today.

Wednesday
    Was undecided on what kind of quality session to do today. I am limiting myself to just the one per week due to the high mileage.
    Opted for 12mls with 10 PMP. The 14yr old nephew did the first 6mls with me.

After a first easy mile at 7:41, here's the 10mls.
    6:37
    6:36
    6:31
    6:24
    6:27
    6:27
    6:24
    6:23
    6:19
    6:00

Finished up with a 7:34 warm down mile.

Thats an average pace of 6:25 for the 10mls, happy with that. Feel like the miles are making me stronger.

Had my first visit to my physio after the run. It was more for preventive reasons that anything else really, but she gave me lots of good advice.
    I am going back to her in 2 weeks time so that she can see the vast improvement after I have followed all the stretches she recommended :rolleyes:

nice PMP run!, targetting a low one in boston?

dont just break 3 hours, smash it!!!

what about DCM '11, anymore ideas on it, you cant say your not doing the training for it anyway.

seanynova wrote: »
    nice PMP run!, targetting a low one in boston?

dont just break 3 hours, smash it!!!

what about DCM '11, anymore ideas on it, you cant say your not doing the training for it anyway.

still undecided on DCM '11 Seany.

If I can do 15mls PMP comfortably (6:29's), I may go for a sub 3 there, as long as it doesn't affect my long term goal, which right now looks like it's almost certain that I'll be tackling a 1000 mile run around Ireland for the charity I formed.

This will begin on December 1st and end New Years Eve, I'll be averaging about 33mls/day, so thats where my focus is at the moment.
    I am doing a few runs a week at a very slow pace so as to get used to that, but at the same time I am keeping 1 Q session per week, just incase ;)

At least this way, once I've recoverd from the run I should be able to get 6-8 weeks of quality training in before Boston, where I'll be aiming for a sub 2:50 :eek:
    I figured the best way to break 3hrs is to not focus on it and just blow it out of the water :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    still undecided on DCM '11 Seany.

If I can do 15mls PMP comfortably (6:29's), I may go for a sub 3 there

if you can do 15m PMP comfortably at 6:29's, then you should do 2:49 in DCM, but TBH you should have gone sub3 there last year....will make more sweet this time round!

sure, if i can go sub3 in toronto(big IF) on oct 16th, then you should be able to go 2:50 in dublin, sure my training is pot....

and go back to bed!!!

• Advertisement

and go back to bed!!!
    :D

Was in bed and asleep almost straight away at 10pm last night, so up at 5am this morning to watch the World's.
    It's 6.15am now so I may as well get my first run of the day in before I have to wake the kids up for school :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Speedy44 wrote: »
    right now looks like it's almost certain that I'll be tackling a 1000 mile run around Ireland

:eek: I was wondering what this long long run was going to be! Fair play Speedy! I assume you'll have company?
    At least this way, once I've recoverd from the run I should be able to get 6-8 weeks of quality training in before Boston, where I'll be aiming for a sub 2:50 :eek:
    I figured the best way to break 3hrs is to not focus on it and just blow it out of the water :D

Again fair play! Great attitude :D

littlebug wrote: »
    :eek: I was wondering what this long long run was going to be! Fair play Speedy! I assume you'll have company?

Tx LB. I'll have no company, just 'lil ol me :rolleyes:

Well, in saying that, I will be trying to recruit 1000 people to run a mile with me. Still trying to work out the logistics of that, probably do it in 5 different locations in parks or something.

Thursday Sept 1st
    Just over 5mls at 9.28 pace, just what the doctor ordered!

Friday
    At 6.50am, I did a nice 6 1/2 mls easy. Beautiful morning for it and great to get out early.

Did another 4 1/2mls later that day to make it 11mls for the day.

Saturday
    10mls at 7:25/ml pace.
    Today was one of those days when I just felt absoloutly brilliant. In fact I felt so damn good I think I had a goofy smile on my face for about 5mls, I must have been scaring the cows in the fields :D
    In the middle of the run, I did a couple of 7:07's, had to force myself to slow down with tomorrows long run in mind.

Sunday
    20mls, first 10mls with the nephew. After yesterdays joy, this was a struggle for the last half. The damn wind & rain didn't help, but I was just wrecked and tempted to cut it short a few times. Let to pace slip to 8:20 on mile 16, but managed 7:59's for the whole thing in the end.
    Good run in the fact that I finished it.

Week Distance = 70mls

Monday
    Just 6 1/2mls in pouring rain & high winds. I love this country :(
    Actually felt ok though. Left the garmin at home

Tuesday
    Was going to do 12mls straight, but ended up having to split it into 6.5mls at 10.30am and 5.5mls at 6pm due to time constraints.
    No ill effects from yesterday thankfully.

Wednesday
    16.75mls at 7:38/ml pace.

Felt fairly good, better than Sunday's long run anyway.
    Kept the pace even enough, tried to concentrate on relaxing, which was hard in the wind.

Am going to have to slow down more I think, especially as I should be hitting triple digits next week. Although I'm recovering well, I think I am too tired after the runs, or is that going to be the case no matter what pace I'm going at :confused:

Thursday
    8.25mls at 8:09/ml pace.
    Decided after doing the first 2 miles in 8:09 & 7:59 that I was going to slow down and just relax and concentrate on finishing the runs strong - so I did :D

Friday
    This was a struggle.
    Did 11.5mls, at 8:27 pace. As soon as I started, I felt like I was running in quicksand, well, maybe not quiet that bad, but I knew I was going slow (8:41 first ml) and I wasn't forcing myself to run slow, my legs just wouldn't turn over.
    Plodded along like this for a while.
    Tried to make it more interesting and threw in a short hill that I used to do with my club as a teenager. It was mostly ovegrown now, but it felt good going up there.
    Then I did 500m on the old sandtrack that we used to run on. Thats all we had in the west of Ireland in the 70's & 80's, still managed to produce a few decent runners though ;) (in fact, back then we had national champions & olympians, now most of the 'top' guys can't come close to those achievements or times!).
    Anyway, kept going, ran through the city for the laugh. Then if felt like someone flicked a switch and I threw in a 7:20/ml with no effort :confused:
    Soon after that I was back to 8:50's .........

Saturday
    Its through what they say that a day can make all the difference (something I will be reminding myself about on numerous occasions as I do my 33mls/day this December :rolleyes:).
    Felt a lot better today. Did 12mls at average 7:47/ml pace.
    Ran with a friend from 5-9mls, great to have some company, realised that I am doing the majority of my running solo these days, which isn't making things any easier.

Sunday
    24mls at 8:09 pace

First 6mls were at 7:54 pace, next 6mls at 7:49's, then 8:15's and the last 6mls at 8:37/ml.

Strange run really.Rain wasn't too bad, and it was mild, but the wind was a basturd. As you can see, I was going a lot faster in the first 1/2 of the run. When I slowed down though, it was controlled, in otherwords, the wheels didn't come off or anything, I felt myself getting tired, and took action, more of a subconscious decision really tbh.
    Wasn't too bad when I was done, felt like I could have done a few more miles at that pace..

Week Distance = 91mls

NOTE
    As I begin to reach higher mileage weeks, I think something is happening to my body. I have to run slower really if I am going to be able to handle the additional workload.
    While I have always been a believer in high mileage, I am going places here that I haven't came near before, and doing it in a relatively short space of time. Thankfully, I seem to be recovering ok, but I will have to be conscious now of the distance I will be running, not just daily, but ongoing, and adjust my pace to 8min+

good stuff speedy, dont worry about the pace, ive been doing most of my miles at 8:00m/m + all summer(did 4last night at 8:42m/m) and for what your training for the slower miles are essential.
    for boston of whatever you will be able to run the easy miles faster with the reduced workload and they will still feel easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very solid week. Would agree with seany dont worry at the pace initially just stick to hitting the volume and the pace will come naturally trust me. start of the year I started consistently hitting more than I was used to and after 6 months my easy runs dropped about 15-20 seconds per mile naturally with the same effort. When hitting the higher miles just remember to pay attention to the body and give it a bit of TLC with stretching and the occasional rub down

Monday
    5.5mls easy to recover from yesterday at 7:59 pace.
    It was very windy but I felt ok all the same.

Tuesday
    10mls at 8:37 pace.
    First few miles were slow, a few +9's in there. Mile 6-8 were 7:50, not that it matters much. Time on my feet is what counts.
    Felt pretty good though.

Wednesday
    18mls at 7:58 pace.
    The first 4mls were 8:30'ish, which I was happy enough with, but then I felt that it was just to damn slow and even though I am doing high mileage I should still be able to do a run of this duration at 8's without killing myself!
    So I picked ip up from there and started running 7:50's or so, the fastest one was 7:44 so I didn't do anything stupid.

Thursday
    In the morning I did 8mls at 8:42 pace, in the evening I did 12mls at 8:24 pace.
    Felt fine for both.

Went to the physio about 45mins after my 12mls, and boy did she kill me!
    I had only been half doing the exercises she suggested 2wks ago, and when she started into my quad, my calf spasmed :eek:
    It felt like she stuck a knife in there, and twisted ! She kept telling me to breath, I thought I was going to pass out.
    She said that if I don't get my legs stronger, I am increasing the chances of injury once fatigue kicks in during the 1000mls, which it undoubtably will.

So now I have to go to the gym 3 days a wk, and swim once a wk.
    Ah well, who needs sleep :rolleyes:

Friday

6.5mls at 8:38 pace.
    Calf was sore to walk on all day, but once I got running it wasn't too bad.

Saturday
    14mls easy. Calf still sore to walk on, not as much though.
    Run was easy, 8:34 pace. Met a buddy for the last mile which we did in 7:41. Felt good to pick it up.

Sunday
    27mls at 8:09 pace.
    This was always going to be a tester, more of a physological than physical one though as I had already done a couple of 24ml runs.
    Decided to run somewhere different for a change. Had picked up a gel/bottle belt the other day, so was sporting this as well.
    Ran from my house in the country into Galway city via the airport and back out again.
    Good to mix it up a bit as these long solo runs have been very boring.
    Almost did something I swore I would never do and brought my IPod.
    Decided not to on this occasion, but think I may do so at some point.
    A lot of this training is definitely hard on the mind never mind the body, so whatever helps me get through it.

Brought 2 gels, 2 jellybeans & 500ml of water, and the key to my mums house in the city, just incase :rolleyes:
    Felt fine throughout. Kept pace more or less constant.
    Ok at the end too, a little sore but nothing major.

Week Distance = 101mls :D

thats the right job speedy, i was only thinking the other day, how does someone do 100+m in a week....your going to be busy with the gym, and dont forget about dedicated stretching/core sessions also, might come in handy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hell of a week. Struggling to hit 80 this week with everything and feeling the affects of higher mileage slight and you are banging out even further in mostly singles. The one thing I would say is dont be afraid to throw in doubles where you can it will make life a bit easier as and 18 and a 27 in the same week is rough no matter who you are. Keep it up

thats the right job speedy, i was only thinking the other day, how does someone do 100+m in a week....your going to be busy with the gym, and dont forget about dedicated stretching/core sessions also, might come in handy...

cheers Seany,
    yea, the physio has me warned about the stretching and core stuff as well, think it will definitely come in handy at some point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

wow.

Thats all I have to say about that week.

Monday
    6.5mls easy.
    Left the garmin at home. Right knee got very sore after about 3mls and continued so until the last mile. Physio thinks its related to a weak quad.

Tuesday
    9.25mls very easy. Felt good, knee fine again

Wednesday
    20mls LSR at 11.30am.
    Wasn't in a good frame of mind going into this one. Was very windy and although it wasn't cold, I felt cold :(
    Got stuck in anyway, and got soaked by a heavy shower in the first few miles, running into the wind. At that point I thought about splitting it up into 2 runs and doing one later.
    Sun came out though, and I got the wind at my back, so started to feel better.
    Got a bit tired and sore around 14-17mls, but then got a second wind and the last 2mls ended up been my fastest, 7:54's.(must have been the jellybean :D). Averaged 8:10 for the lot.

Thursday
    14mls easy,felt ok after yesterday, I think.

Friday
    10mls at 7:50 pace.

Headed to the gym to go over my schedule with my physio and trainer.
    I have to concentrate on building up my weak left quad :rolleyes:

Saturday
    At 10.30am, I did 11.5mls easy. Wasn't in the mood for this. Was training my group so I would go slow with them then I would pick it up a bit when I was by myself.

At 4pm I got out and did another 8.25mls at 8:34 pace. Right knee was sore until about mile 6.

Sunday - LSSR
    Long sore slow run - 28.31mls at 8:24 pace.
    Made a rookie mistake by having mexican food for dinner last night, not a carb in sight :eek:
    Had friends over and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but in the back of my mind I felt like I would pay for it. I think because last weeks run was realatively comforable I thought maybe it wouldn't be a big deal. Man was I wrong.
    Things actually went ok until the last 3mls. I brought 2 kinetica gels with me (first time using these, usually take the power bar one's, but these are free :rolleyes: ). Had about 500ml of water with me as well, and got a refill at 14mls at the mothers house.
    Main concern really was the boredom, and keeping the pace down. Was cruising along at 8:13 or so, and then: 26ml - 8:52, 27ml - 8:59, 28ml - 9:22, .31ml - 10:05 !

Lesson learned.

Took a 5min dip in the lake this evening to help recovery. I guess I'll have to extend that now as well.

Week Distance
    = 109.25ml

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wow - whens the ultra - some mileage

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Wow - whens the ultra - some mileage

cheers bb, no ultra, well, no offical ultra, just a 1000ml jaunt around the country in December for charity :rolleyes:

Monday
    5.5mls to recover from yesterdays exploits.
    Strange run. It was pissing down but nice & mild. Quads felt a bit sore but knee was ok. Felt pretty good energy wise in the first mile or 2. In fact even though I wasn't flying, had to remind myself not to take off, I felt that good.

Then, after about 4mls, I felt like someone just pulled the plug and I could feel my energy draining away. Slowed down to 8:30's before I was forced too. I think maybe with all the miles I am doing I am minimizing the amount of food I should be eating, although I feel like I am eating like a horse at times!

Tuesday
    Well, after 52 days, I decided to take a day off :mad:
    Felt guilty about it, but rationalized it by reminding myself that this is a down/recovery week after averaging 100mls for the past 3wk, and the fact that I picked up a head cold that I wanted to shake.

Wednesday

Was in Dublin all day so by the time I drove back I was tired.
    Was still going to do 10mls but not sure where my head was at, because by the time I got out, it was 7.15pm, and I couldn't believe it was getting dark already! Only managed to squeeze in 4mls.
    Didn't feel great either, tired again.

Thursday

10mls at 7:46 pace.
    The fastest I've gone for a few weeks! last 5 miles were 7:35 pace.
    Didn't pick it up purposely or anything, just felt good.

Went to the gym later that day to work on strenthening my right quad again.

Friday

15.25mls at 8:08 pace at 10am.
    Felt pretty good, took my gel & water with me. Discovered an additional loop that I hadn't known about before, which is always good to defelct the boredom.

Saturday
    Had a crew running in the Galway Bay 10K & 1/2M so had to head in there pretty early.
    Was hoping to get to the gym before that, but it was closed. Decided to squeeze in my run but only had time for 6mls.
    Had intended to get in another 4mls later but it started raining and since this is my down week, I couldn't be arsed :rolleyes:
    Never got to the gym either; have to get more diligent on that front.

Sunday

Opted to get the run in early rather than watch the match as I knew they'de win ;)

Did 15mls by myself first at about 8:12 pace. Had a load of pasta last night (after last weeks Mexican food disaster!) and a feed of porridge with all the usual seeds and a banana this morning. So it's no wonder the first mle was 9:02 :eek:

The nephew joined me for the next part of the run (10.25mls) when I swung by the house to refuel. Of course the pace increased and he eventually let him off for the last 2mls, I averaged 7:59's for the 10mls, which brought the average for the 25mls down to 8:09.

Another 110ml week planned for next week.

Week Distance = 66mls

• Advertisement

Monday
    8mls easy, was going to do my usual loop, but our dog decided to accompany me so I switched it to two 4ml loops instead. Not that he was tired, I was just didn't want to bring him out into too much traffic.

Hit the gym in the afternoon for more leg work.

Tuesday
    At 9.20am, did 20mls at 8:06 pace. Felt pretty good. Have to keep an eye on the pace though, hope to average 120mls/wk for the next 3wks, so can't afford to do anything stupid.

Advertisement