Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on moving ...............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Wednesday
    Hit the gym at 1pm to work on the legs. Managed to increase the reps & weight on most things. Actually feel like I'm getting stronger!

Took a nap at 4pm, something I feel like I need most days now due to the high mileage & work. Only thing is, instead of my usual 30mins, my alarm didn't go off so I woke up at 5pm, with 11mls to do :eek:
    Within 5mins of getting out of the bed, I was running, if you can call it that! First mile was a hard 8:52, then 8:57!! Didn't manage to get down to a 'respectable' 8;14 untl mile 7. At least I felt very good for the last few miles.

Thursday
    8 very easy miles at 10.30am, followed up by another 5.5mls at 4pm. Felt very good in both, especially my pm run where I averaged 7:39, probably my fastest in about a month :rolleyes:

13.5mls for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

not sure where you're finding the time to be on the internet these days speedy:pac: I don't know how you're managing that level of mileage... what are you eating :confused:!

littlebug wrote: »
    not sure where you're finding the time to be on the internet these days speedy:pac: I don't know how you're managing that level of mileage... what are you eating :confused:!

I've actually been using it while I run LB ;)
    It has got that bad just yet thankfully, as to what am I eating - EVERYTHING :D
    Banana's galore, carry around my trail mix with lots of nuts, raisins & seeds in it.

Friday
    Easy day, just 8.25mls at 8:13/ml pace. I'm slowing down naturally now due to the mileage. I feel like I am still running mid 7's but it's closer to mid 8's :rolleyes:

Got to the gym as well, feel like I'm getting stronger in that department.

Saturday
    Was up early for the match so decided I may as well get my long run (30mls) over with.
    Met up with a clubmate after 4mls and ran with her for about 12mls which was great, especially since I had started to drift closer to 8's by my 4th mile!
    As it was I doing about 8:20-25 pace, but still struggled for the last 3mls which were 8:47, 8:58 & 9:24.
    I will have to somehow force myself to run no faster than 8:30's for the first 20mls or so next week.
    Was fairly shattered afterwards again, and sore, but thankfully after some food and a nap I felt ok.

Sunday
    Did 12.5mls at 8.45am. No ill affects after yesterday. Was running a lot slower though, average 8:41. Didn't feel tired or sore though, thought for a minute of pushing on through and just getting the whole 20mls out of the day, but I didn't have any water or gels with me.

At 4pm I did the other 7.5mls, this time at 8.30 pace. Felt pretty good, had a few more in the bag if needed.

Week Distance = 110.75mls

Monday
    Ran 5.5mls at 10am, was going to go further but the dog came with me and he was tired :rolleyes:

Went to the gym at 4pm, only managed 1 circuit as my right knee was very sore. Managed another 3.5mls though on the threadmill, never again, talk about boring.

Tuesday

After driving up & down to Dublin (from Galway), I got out for a run at 4pm. After a first mile of 9:03, I was surprised how good I felt. I started getting progressively faster, with a few rare sub 8's thrown in there, without pushing it in the least.

Distance = 14.35mls

Wednesday
    12.25mls at 10am at 8:16/ml pace. Air was so moist it was like running in soup.
    Felt good again.

Didn't get a chance to get to the gym unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    22mls easy at about 8.30 pace.
    Felt ok.

Friday
    Easy day, 8.25mls & the gym.
    Felt pretty good.

Saturday
    Hadn't made up my mind whether to do my 22mls today (2 runs) and 32mls tomorrow, or vice versa.
    Decided on the 22mls, so did 13.5mls at 10.30am.
    Felt pk physically, although I was running significantly slower than earlier this week, over 9min/mls at times. I think the constant week in/week out of high mileage is beginning to get to me. Still though, I couldhave kept going, but the mind was all over the shop.
    Was going to do 8.5mls later in the evening, but went to the pub instead for some seafood chowder and a couple of pints of Guinness :D

Sunday
    Didn't bother setting the alarm, still wasn't too sure if I was going to do the 32mls, take the day off or something in between.
    Ended up doing 14.25mls at about 8:36 pace. Again I felt fine physically, but I think I am just a bit burnt out with prep for the 1000mls.
    Was going to go out later for a few more, but f**k it.

Week Distance = 94.25mls

Monday
    After not getting in the high mileage I wanted over the weekend, I did 12.5mls today. Felt a lot better then I did the past few days, and ended up averaging acomfortable 8:18/ml.

Tuesday
    22mls easy. Did the first 2mls by myself in 8:55 & 8:11, surprised that I felt so good. Did the next 6mls with the my group,and then headed off by myself for the rest.
    Averaged 8:32 for the lot, still fresh at the end and would have done another 4mls if I didn't have a meeting to rush too.

Wednesday
    Woke up with a bit of a head cold. Headed out early anyway, it was dry & sunny for a change, a bit chilly though. First few miles were 8:30'ish, but I ended up doing the last few about 8:10, averaged 8:24 for the lot.

Thursday
    Cold was worse so only got out the once. Did 6.5mls at 8.30am, was going to do another 8.25mls in the evening but didn't want to risk anything.

Friday
    Cold gone, 6.5mls at 8.30am at 8:22 pace.

Didn't feel like going out for the evening run but forced myself to do 8.25mls. Forgot to have lunch again so ended up scoffing down a baquet 20mins before my run. Remarkably I felt ok.

Saturday
    Had to drive the wife to the bus station in the middle of the night, so had a bit of a lie in (or is it lay in:confused:). Did 8mls at 8:18/ml pace at about 11am in torential downpours, felt surprisingly good.

Did another 14mls at 3pm in 8:16/ml, at least the rain had stopped.

Sunday
    Planned to do 32mls. Had all my pasta last night. On kid duty since the wife is away, so got to bed later than hoped, which meant I didn't get up 'til 8am, and out running a little after 10am. Had my porridge with sunflower, pumpkin, chia & linseeds, and wheatgerm & raisens as well, and 2 slices of toast, a banana & coffee :rolleyes:
    Was staying close to home so that I could pop in and check on the kids, so I was doing 8 laps of a 4ml loop by the house.

Reading up some more on this ultra stuff last night, and I figured that I am still going way too fast.Over the course of the 31 days, I couldn't expect to keep up that pace. After my recent long runs, I am fairly shattered, and the last few miles end up been a stuggle.
    So decided to go off really easy today. First 3mls were 9:25, 9:18 & 9:04.
    After that they were about 8:50-55, the fastest been 8:42. I slowed to 9+ again for a few mls around the 20ml mark, but then the next few were back in the 8:50 range.
    Was feeling pretty good physically, the hard part was keeping the head on straight.

On the 6th lap I came round a corner and what was ahead of me in the middle of the road but a damn fox hunt :eek:
    I thought about doing a U turn but ploughed on through since the horses were still in the fields. I could hear the hounds baying though and have seeing them galloping by the house on occasion, so when I came round again by the house and heard them, I thought it best not to chance it.

A bit pissed off that I didn't get the 32mls done as I was feeling good.
    This is by far the best I have felt after a long run so hopefully I have stumbled onto something. Normally I am shuffling around like an oul fella, but I feel like I can go out and run again now.

WEEK DISTANCE = 112.25mls

Mon 24th
    8mls easy at 8:38 pace

Tues 25th
    Ran 6mls with my OTRA group first, nice run out Salthill.
    Did the same loop plus a little bit more then by myself.
    Felt good.

Distance = 12.75mls

Wed 26th
    14.75mls at 9.30am. Felt ok, only going at 8:48 pace but wasn't concerned.
    Was going to head out again later but ran out of time.

Thur 27th
    10mls @8:35 pace.

Fri 28th
    Just 8mls easy with a big weekend in mind.
    Slowed to average 9:15 pace :eek:, still, I was just running at what I felt was easy without pushing it at all.

Sat 29th
    20mls relatively easy.
    Did the first 6-7mls by myself at about 8:40-45 pace.
    Then I met a mate from the club and the next 13mls were averaging about 7:55. Felt fine though.

When I checked my garmin for this, it makes some interesting reading.
    I had left it outside the house before my run on Monday and the damn dog ran off with it! Thankfully the missus found it.

He somehow managed to turn it on and he showed some impressive mile times there; his first one was only 5:58 (must have been his warm up!), but the next 2:33, 2:43, 2:45, 3:31, 2:35, 2:52 & 2:40 :D

Sun 30th
    On the advice of my coach, I took the day off, it wasn't easy though:)

Week Distance = 73.6mls :(

Mon 31st
    Made up for yesterday and did 32mls.
    Didn't have the watch for the first 12mls, but after that the average was 9:02/ml. Slowed a bit on last 5mls, but still had some in reserve at the end.
    Took a very quick dip in the lake afterwards as I could feel the legs were sore. At that stage it was almost dark so couldn't really see too well either so didn't want to get too adventerous.

MONTH DISTANCE = 455mls
    YTD = 2,634.25mls

Tues 1st
    Woke up with a bad head cold. Was going to go out and do 8mls but figured there was no point in risking anything.

Wed 2nd
    At 12.30pm, I did 11mls with the dog, felt very good, relaxed. Averaged 8:34/ml

2hrs after I got back I headed out again and did another 6.5mls by myself at 8:44 pace.

Total Distance = 17.5mls

Good luck Speedy ! See you on 31st :)

Day-1-300x225.jpg
    Well, 1 down, 30 to go.
    We have a bit of a problem navigating ourselves out of Dublin, thanks to some signs turned the wrong way! I ended up running up what I think was the Dublin Mountains. Didn’t quiet make it to Kildare, got close to Naas, and once I had doen my 32.5mls, I jumped aboard the camper van.
    Hit a rough patch around 22mls which lasted for a few miles. I got seperated from my support crew and I hadn’t eaten enough for breakfast, you would think I would know better at this stage! My hip left hip was sore, and my left leg buckled a couple of times (yikes!)
    Met up with the crew again around 26.5mls and had a few jaffa cakes and a gel, and some more water. Actually felt better towards the end, but still glad it was done. There is a pool in the hotel so I will be taking a dip as soon as I have eaten.
    Damn, I was just going to say that I wil upload my garmin stats but I just realised I forgot the cord. I should be able to get it in a day or two, I’ll see if I can do it from the history.

• Advertisement

Left Naas this morning at 8.30am, decided to run around the town for a few miles to try and drum up some donations (unsuccessfully)
    Had a good interview on local radio there though, they will also e a better morning have been picking that up in Carlow so hopefully we will have a better morning tomorrow.
    Exausted now, and sore. Got a rub down between runs today which helped a lot. The main problem I had was weakness in my left leg, it buckeled under me a few times. Had some salmon for dinner a while ago, and will have a smoothie shortly, so hopefully that will help. I’ve been told though that I will get stronger as the days go on, fingers crossed. Too tired to write anymore at the moment, more tomorrow.
    Carlow-300x225.jpg

Today went ok, best so far I have to say. Ran 8mls in the morning and then 24.5mls in the afternoon. Had another rub down in between runs, have to say he did a great job. My left hamstring had been noticably sore while running but it is a lot better. Also my leg didn’t buckle under me today. A lot of the difficulty is of course keeping focused on the job at hand, not worrying about the next day and the amount of days that I have left. I try to break the run down into stages, do my morning run of 12mls or so, and then get stuck into the afternoon section. Its funny what will keep you going, I was running a 3-4ml loop today and there was a pile of dog sh*t that I noticed so for some reason I focused on that to keep going! I think I’m too soon into this to be losing my marlbes ?
    We stayed in Carlow all day today, managed to get a few donations. We’re in Arklow now, going to go for a very brief dip in the Irish Sea in the morning to help the legs. Someone mentioned that there is a coast road so fingers crossed I’ll at least have a scenic run tomorrow.
    Did an interview with KCLR today, and another one too, we will try to get all these loaded onto our site as soon as we can.Signs-2-300x225.jpg

Although today was the best day so far, I am weary of becoming complacent. We are getting into a routine now, and its important that everything gets ticked off every day. That means stretching, massage, recovery drinks, applying vaseline in sensitive areas (!), smoothies, making sure I eat enough and its the proper food, makiing sure I get enough sleep, keeping my phone & garmin charged, uploading pictures, getting the gear washed, etc.

Anyway, as they like to say in the footy, today was a tale of 2 halves. Had thought that I may run longer than usual in the morning as I finished yesterday relatively ok. I only managed to get about 6hrs sleep though so, even though I had my porridge and a fruit smoothie, I started to feel like I was running out of steam after only 4-5mls. I kept going for a couple more but then decided to pull the plug. Got back to the hotel, quick shower, then got 4 slices of brown toast, scrambled eggs & another bowel of porridge into me. Then I got in a 30-45min nap.
    That seemed to do the trick because I felt a lot better when I got out again at noon. Legs started to get sore with a few mls to go, but I feel like they are getting stronger.

Tomorrow we will be in Kilkenny and we hope to get a good turnout at 5.30pm at the Watershed. The Mayor will be on hand to lend her support, so if your in the area, please stop by and say hello. We will of course have our crew out there with buckets and all donations will be most appreciated.

If there are any other runners in the area who want to join me earlier, I will be running around the town from about 2pm.

Arklow-2-300x225.jpg

Finished the 1000mls around 9.45pm on New Year's Eve. Tx to members of Mayo AC, Corofin AC, Athenry AC, Tuam AC & my own club, GCH for running with me over the last 3 days of the event.

Have to say it was the hardest thing I ever undertook. Was relatively ok until I picked up the muscle stain in my left quad on the 9th day. That lasted for 6 days where I was only able to manage as little as 9mls one day. I lost a load of mileage in that time, and all this meant that I had to do 303mls in the last week alone.

I was running 45-46mls a day for the last 6 days, which meant I was running for up to 9 1/2 hrs, and then this was affecting my sleep.

On the 30th in Tuam I was all over the place at the end of the night, and was only able to run 40mls. This meant that I had to forego my origional plan of finishing in Galway at 3.30pm as it would also have meant starting running at 4am to get in the required 45mls!

When I got to Galway there was a great turnout to run into the city with me, unfortunately I still had 19mls to run. I had a really bad pain inmy stomach and didn't know how I was going to run, but once I started I felt fine thankfully.

Never so glad to finish something in my life.

Thanks for all the support on our f/b page, blog & boards along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done! was delighted to hear you on the radio on monday too. Good interview.

Super feat of endurance, hope it achieved all its objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Jesus, 303 miles in 7 days is unthinkable, especially after 700 already done - congrats!

First run of the New Year. 4mls :rolleyes:

Legs felt weird for the first mile, like I was running in quicksand or jelly or something. Did the first mile in a whopping 10:48 :rolleyes:
    Not sure how long its going to take me to recover from the 1000mls.

I have entered the Boston Marathon but will only run it if I do ok in my 2 lead up races, a 5ml at the end of Feb & the Craughwell 10.

I am going to get to the gym 2-3 days a week as well to try to get some strength back in the legs and work on my core. Won't worry too much about mileage but will try to get some decent quality sessions in once I build up to it.

Good to see you back :) You'll back to normal Speedy-ness in no time;)

Headed to the gym today to try and get some strength back in the legs.
    Didn't overdo it, just wanted to make a start anyway.
    Did 10mins on the bike first.

Tuesday
    5mls easy, felt a bit better than Sunday anyway!
    Only averaged 8:47 pace but that was after a 9:44 first mile, which was better than almost 11mins on Sunday :rolleyes:
    Felt like I was going a lot faster than I was, not effort wise, it felt very easy, but the legs felt like they were turning over a lot quicker than they were. I suppose the muscles are still remembering the 13-15min/ml pace I was doing a few weeks ago!

Thursday
    6.8mls at 7:59 pace.
    Actually ran with someone for a change, which was great. Didn't feel the miles going by at all. Even had a 7:29/ml in there. Feel like I can keep running at the same pace forever, looking forward to doing some intervals in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    6.5mls easy. Felt good so just ran as I felt. Bad mistake because after a few miles of 7:35 pace I stopped to tie my lace and when I got going again I felt very tired and averaged 9min mls for the last 3 :eek:

Sunday
    Still tired after yesterday so just took it easy.
    8.25mls at 9:06 pace.

Tuesday
    7.35mls at 7:28 pace.
    Felt good, didn't push it but just ran comfortable and averaged 7:02 for 4mls of it. Will try not get too carried away too soon.

Wednesday
    9mls easy. Felt tired at first but once I hit the prom I felt better again so the pace picked up.

Friday
    5.25mls at 7.40 pace, felt good.

Weekend
    Was supposed to run Sat & Sun but gave both days a miss for some quality family time, was definitely the right call.

Monday
    8.25mls easy. Felt ok, a bit sire at the end

First attempt at a tempo session this year. Did 4mls in 6:39 average, not great but its a start. Last ml was 6:08 so happy enough with that. Felt fairly strong at the end. Not the smartest of sessions because after doing an 8:56 first mile I picked it up on the 2nd mile instead of on the 3rd or 4th as had origionally intended. Splits 1-3 were 7:12, 6:35 & 6:39.

Will take a while to get some leg speed going again, may have to jump into some of the clubs 400m sessions!

Although I have entered for the Boston Marathon, I am now leaning towards not taking part. After todays tempo run, I can't really see myself been in sub 3 shape in less than 12wks. I was going to wait until I run the Craughwell 10 to make up my mind, and may still do so.

I was thinking that the 8wks of 100mls+/wk, not to mention the 1000mls in December would stand to me, and that I could get away with doing 60-70mls/wk training. That might still work, but I am also leaning towards just aiming at the Great Ireland 10K in April and then getting ready for the track.

Wednesday
    Just an easy 6.5mls to recover from yesterdays session.
    Was only going at about 9min/ml pace I think, but wasn't too concerned.

Friday
    First track session, wanted to try to get some leg speed back.
    2 x 4 x 400m with 200m rec (400m between sets).
    81, 83, 83, 83 - 78, 79, 80, 76
    Felt pretty good, surpirsed with the times tbh. Held back on the first set.

11mls easy at 7:29 pace. Felt very good, last mile in 6:52.
    Nice to get back into double digit runs again.
    Looking forward to building on this now. Still undecided on whether to do the Boston Maraton or not. Will start building up my Sunday runs anyway, just incase.

Week Distance = 33mls

Monday
    5.75mls easy. Felt good, first mile was 8:25 but the rest of them were average 7:10.

Tuesday
    6 x 1K on the track with 200m rec (65-70secs). Got them all done in 3:37 bar the 5th one which was 3:37. Had a lad from the club as company to push me along.
    Would have liked to have got another couple done, but happy enough with it, loads of room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice running are the k's @ 10k pace?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice running are the k's @ 10k pace?

hopefully :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thursday
    8.25mls easy, although it didn't feel easy.
    Felt ok at the beginning but then I started to feel tired & weak, probably the worst I have felt since I started back.

Friday
    With some of the lads from the club, we did a session at lunchtime.
    3 x 3mins @ 10K off 60secs, 2.30 rec, 15mins at 10K + 15secs, 2.30 rec then another 3 x 3mins.
    Pace for the 3mins reps was 6:15, 5:46, 5:42 - 5:43, 5:57 & 5:54. Had to struggle through the last 2 by myself, hence the drop off in pace, although the effort felt the same!
    I started off the 15mins wayyyy to fast, prob close to the 3min pace :o
    You know how they say you can ruin a race in the first few mins, well, here was the evidence I needed.
    First mile of it was at 6:12, but went through the first 1/2ml in 2:58 (5:56 pace!).
    Reduced to 6:19 for the 2nd mile and 6:34 for the last few mins.

Rebounded pretty well for the 2nd set of 3mins though.

Tough, hard session, need a few more of these.
    Well behind where I thought I would be, well, more where I would like to be. Shouldn't really expect too much too soon after the 1000mls in December.

Advertisement