Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on moving ...............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Been a couple of weeks since I posted here.

Sunday Dec. 29th
    15.25mls easy.
    Was at a family party last night, no drink but lots of crap food and probably too much coffee, so wasn't sure how I would feel today. Got out at 9am as the weather was supposed to get bad again after 11 or so.
    Only 3 of us from the club showed up, which I was surprised at. There were a few spots of black ice around especially out near Bearna, so we took it easy enough, 7:58 pace. Felt good overall.

Saturday Dec 28th
    4 x 4mins with 3min continuous jog recovery.
    Tough session, good to be able to have company for it. Tried to keep them consistent, ended up with the pace for the 4 been 5:55, 5:59, 5:50 & 5:52.
    Looking forward to getting Christmas over with so that I can stop eating and drinking crap.

Thursday Dec 26th
    11mls easy

Tuesday Dec 24th
    20mins easy, 18min tempo, 22mins easy
    Was supposed to be a 20min tempo, but was hanging on for dear life so happy just to make the 18mins. Tough going when your by yourself. At 6mins I was at 6:33/ml pace, 12mins I had it down to 6:22, but operating on fumes after that.

Monday Dec 23rd
    6.5mls recovery, felt ok after yesterday.

Sunday Dec 22nd.
    Hardest easy run I have ever done. 15mls, waited until after 11am to get out hoping that the weather would improve. Got away with it for 9mls, then the wind picked up, and the hail came down. I was only wearing woolen gloves, so felt like my hands were going to fall off me. Took all my powers of persuasion to keep going, although there wasn't really anywhere to stop! Wrecked when I got back to the house, took my a good 15mins to compose myself, wasn't sure if I was going to pass out or throw up, thankfully did neither.

Saturday Dec 21st
    4 x 4mins off 3min continuous jog recovery. Just wanted to keep them consistent, pace was 5:49, 5:53, 5:55 & 5:56, so happy with that.
    Noticed that when training for Rotterdam I did this session but my splits were 5:45, 5:53, 6:01 & 6:13, so a lot more what I was looking for this time.

Friday Dec 20th.
    Did 4mls easy in the morning and meant to get out again later but the day got away from me.

Thursday Dec. 19th
    11mls easy, felt pretty good

Wednesday Dec 18th
    Had to take it off due to the storm.

Tuesday Dec 17th
    a.m. - 4mls easy
    p.m. - 4mls with Martin Fagan, not sure of the pace but steady comfortable.

Monday Dec 16th
    6.5 recovery miles after yesterday

Sunday Dec. 15th

Nat. Novice XC in Waterford.
    Man was that tough. Really hard course. Finished well down the field but happy enough with the run as kept it consistent, didn't go off too hard, passed a few along the way, and hung tough to the end.

Friday & Saturday
    Not sure why, but took both days off!

Thursday Dec 12th
    9mls at a comfortable pace. Felt a lot better after taking yesterday off, both physically and mentally!

Wednesday Dec 11th
    Thought it would be a good idea to take the day off to try and rest body and mind.

Tuesday Dec 10th.
    7.75mls easy, but it didn't feel easy.
    Felt flat the whole way, couldn't get into the run at all.

Monday Dec 9th
    6mls easy

Monday Dec. 30th
    Just did an easy 6.5mls recovery run after 2 hard'ish days over the weekend.

Tuesday Dec. 31st
    Opted for a day off, my last planned day off before the marathon.

Wednesday Jan. 1st
    Resolution Run 5K - 18:19
    Conditions weren't ideal, but they could have been a lot worse for this. No wind to deal with thankfully, but cold and wet. Course was good, no hills really, small drag up through Shop Street, a few tight bends to contend with.
    Went out a bit too hard, 3:25. Didn't feel like I was forcing it too much, but after about 2k I felt like I was starting to hurt, way to early for that :rolleyes:
    2nd K was 3:43, although I missed the split. Had my eye on a few lads who I normally battle with. One of them started fast enough but I caught him after the 1st K. Passed another lad that I beat by a few secs in my last 5k around the same time, but he caught me again just before halfway. Was struggling now and felt like I was hanging on. He opened a gap and I was just trying to relax a bit. Was caught by another couple of lads here as well :mad:
    Without realizing it, I had started to close on my club mate going up through town, with just over a k to go. He didn't have much on me, but still didn't feel confident of catching him. Somehow found something in reserve and managed to get onto his shoulder with about 200-250m to go. Kicked about 100m out and manged to get him :)

Not over the moon with the time, but happy with the effort. Still in early stages of marathon training and not too many sessions under my belt yet either.
    Splits were 3:25, 3:43, 3:46, 3:43 & 3:29, so glad to see I finished strong.
    Next up is an 8k in Tuam on Jan 19th.

Thursday Jan 2nd
    8mls easy, (8:03ml) nothing to report. Had a few beers last night so was just a matter of getting through this!

Friday Jan 3rd
    11mls at 7:51 pace, felt ok.

Saturday Jan 4th
    Had a bit of a session with a mate back from Boston last night, last beers until the big day :rolleyes:
    Waited until almost 4pm to get out and do 6.5mls.

Sunday Jan 5th
    Toughest run to date this morning in prep for Boston. 2mls easy followed by 5 x 1ml at about 6:14/ml pace off 1min, then another hours run to finish me off. Was dark and cold starting off, and had our old friend the wind (will he ever go home and leave us alone!) to keep it interesting. Tough going trying to run hard so early.
    15mls in total completed.

Weeks total = 53mls/6 days

Monday
    8mls easy run to recover from yesterday, didn't feel any adverse affects.
    Started taking magnesium supplements yesterday to try and fend off cramps that I get frequently after a hard session or long run.

Tuesday
    am - 4mls

pm - 7.5mls easy

Wednesday
    5 x 1k with a 500m continueous jog recovery.
    Splits were 3:37, 3:36, 3:35, 3:33 & 3:35
    Happy enough with this, didn't want to force it too much. Had a mate from the club to share the workload.

Thursday
    am - 8mls easy

pm -3.5ml jog with clients. It was 12min/ml+ pace, but I was still tired after it!

Friday
    11.75mls easy, 7:37/ml pace. Felt ok, fine at the end.
    Did this over a hilly route as want to get the legs ready for the Boston hills.

Saturday
    Just 6.5mls nice and easy

Sunday
    Met a bunch of lads in Kinvara to take a run over the 1/2 Marathon course that we will do on March 1st. A few of us did 4mls first so as to make it 17mls in total. Wet and windy, and a tough enough course.
    If this wasn't bad enough the first few miles were too fast for my liking. 7:54, 7:51, 7:14 & 7:19, I felt like I was barely awake for crying out loud :rolleyes:
    Then about 5 more lads joined us and it gradually got faster. We averaged 6:55 for the last 8mls, 7:10 for the whole thing.
    Happy enough with this, although I know it was too fast this early into my training.

Total = 17mls/2:01:51

Week
    = 70mls

• Advertisement

Monday
    An easy 6.5mls to recover from yesterday's long run.
    Also got a much needed rub down, hope to get 3 more before the big day.

Tuesday
    8mls easy including 5 x 100m strides. Pissing rain but actually enjoyed the run.

Wednesday
    Good session under the belt today.
    2ml warm up, 2 x 12min tempo @ 6:06 & 6:10 pace over some hills. Tried not to push these too much and keep it controlled.
    Capped it off with another hour run, to make a grand total of 14.5mls.

Just what I needed before I face my eldest girls parent/teacher meeting!

Thursday
    Just an easy 6.5mls to recover from yesterdays run.

Friday
    Ran for about an hour easy and then did 5 x 100m strides.
    Didn't feel great at first but once I got going I was fine.

Distance = 9ms

Saturday
    Was considering taking the day off but decided to get out in the end before it got too dark. Just an easy 6.5mls

Sunday
    Tuam 8k -29:52 (8.07K)
    Splits were; 3:34, 3:40, 3:35, 3:45, 3:44, 3:46, 3:48 & 3:42.
    So the first 4k were done in 14:34 and the last 4k in 15:00

Wanted to start conservatively and it felt very easy in the first K. It is mostly downhill so even holding back a lot I was still too fast. Felt good up through 4-5K, actually I think I went through 5K in the same time I did in the 5K race on New Years Day.
    Was going back and forth with some lad, but I was digging deep and trying to stay relaxed and focused for the last few K. Thought I was on to a 29:30 or so but things seemed to fall apart in the last few K.
    Not too disappointed, but not overly happy with it either.

Won't race again for 4 weeks so hopefully I'll get a good block of training in the meantime.

Distance = 9mls
    Week Distance = 60mls

Monday
    6.5mls easy to recover from yesterdays race. Legs felt fine, normally they are a bit sore & stiff after a race, not sure if its because I got a rub down during the week or taking the magnesium or a combination of both, but whatever it is, I ain't complaining wink.png

Tuesday
    a.m. - 4mls nice and easy, 8:12/ml pace

p.m. - 7.75mls at 7:42/ml pace. Felt ok, a bit tired towards the end

Wednesday
    11.75mls. Felt ok at the start of this, in face felt more or less fine until mile 8 when I had to navigate over the road by the Galway Golf Club that was ripped up by the storm. Took me 9 1/2 mins to get over it, and it seemed to wreck my head. The last 3-4mls were a drag, just wasn't into it at all and felt totally pissed off for some reason confused.png

Thursday
    Was going to do a quality session today but decided to leave it for another day after the way I felt yesterday.
    Bumped into a mate around 11am who was doing k reps so dragged myself out with him for his warm up. Great to be running with someone for a change. Felt good for the rest of the run, bumped into 2 more lads towards the end of it for the last mile.

Distance = 7mls

Friday
    Tough session. Planned to do 6 x 1ml off 1 minute with a mate. Unfortunately had to go get one of the kids early from school so ended up doing the session locally by myself.
    Used an out & back route. Plan was to not kill myself but to try and keep them consistent around 6:08/ml pace.
    2mins into the 1st rep I glanced at my pace and saw it was 5:42 :eek:, didn't make any major adjustment just took my foot off the pedal a little, finished with a 6:04. Was surprised, and happy how easy this felt, breathing was very relaxed.
    Next rep was into the wind and also included a few small drags. Working harder now, but again trying to relax. Ended up with a 6:11.
    3rd rep I again started off too fast, 5:40 pace when I checked. Feeling more tired now in the second half of this and ended a bt off with 6:06.
    The wind seemed to pick up significantly for the 4th rep, was digging deep and could only do a 6:25, wrecked at the end of this. Thought about pulling the plug but as the next rep would have the wind at my back I figured I'd get through it.
    Started more conservatively this time, 6:00 pace, ended with a 6:04 without killing myself.

So I managed most of it, and after a hard fought 4th rep, recovered significantly to do a decent 5th.
    Three years ago leading up to Rotterdam I was doing the mile reps in about 5:55 average, this time I am trying to do them more at threshold pace as per the schedule. They don't really feel that much easier, but hopefully in the long run it will mean I am fresher when it counts ;)

Distance = 8.33mls

Saturday
    Just wanted to do an easy run after yesterday. Felt ok at the start but fairly tired for the last few miles.

Distance = 7.7mls

Sunday
    Headed off at 8.20am, did 5mls first by myself and then joined in with 8 lads from the club. Great to have the company. Felt a lot better in the early going than yesterday. About 10mls in we had to endure a vicious hail shower accompanied by winds gusts that must have been up near the 100k/hr mark. In a sick sort of way, it actually felt good battling through this :rolleyes:. If I was by myself I know it would have been a completely different story.
    Felt good for the whole run, strong through the end, and just a little bit sore.

Distance - 18.33mls/7:52 pace

WEEK DISTANCE = 71MLS

Write off of a week.
    Ended up missing Monday as got caught up at work, but I wasn't too concerned. Unfortunately woke up the next day with a special gift from my daughter, she had passed on her stomach bug to me :mad:

Missed Tuesday & Wednesday, tried to run on Thursday and managed 4mls at 9.30/ml pace :eek:

Tried it again on Friday, jogged a mile first at a very slow pace, then headed off. First mile was 7:43, then 7:49; thought I was out of the woods, but the last couple of miles 8:23 & 8:43.
    Had barely been able to eat anything since Tuesday so no surprise that I had no energy.

Did a very slow 2.5mls with work on Saturday morning, then tried to do 8mls in the afternoon. Felt tired almost a mile into it, 8:20 pace, so cut it back to another 4mls. Was wrecked at the end, last mile 9:32.

It almost killed me, but I opted to take today (Sunday) off as a precaution. Of course the sun was shining and no wind or rain.

Hopefully this won't effect anything, will rethink my race schedule now, and try not to rush back into it.

11 weeks to Boston !

• Advertisement

After last weeks disaster (12mls!), this week was about trying to get back on track, in a sensible way :rolleyes:

Monday
    An easy 6.5mls at about 7:45 pace, felt good at the end as well so that was good.

Tuesday
    8mls easy at about 7:32 pace. Again, no ill affects.

Wednesday
    Decided to risk a session. Daniels called on 4 x 12mins off 2, well, I was supposed to do that last week anyway! Figured I wouldn't last the 4 reps and wanted to start conservatively. First rep was 6:19 pace, and I have to say, it wasn't easy. Wrecked doing the 2nd rep and had to cut it to 6mins, same pace.
    This session didn't do the self confidence much good, but I was trying to remind myself that 4 days ago I was barely able to run 4mls at 9min mile pace.

Thursday
    Was going to take today off but the weather was just too damn nice, and we don't get to say that too often these days.
    Did 7.75mls easy, averaged 7:25.

My race schedule leading up to Boston was going to be this:
    Feb. 16th - Gort 8K
    March 1st - Kinvara 1/2
    April 6th - National 10k

Will have another look at this as at the moment I feel like I'd be lucky to break 30 for an 8k.

Decided to try my first marathon pace run today. Weather was good again this morning.
    After battling through illness last week, it was good to get a confidence boosting run under the belt today.

12mls total with 8mls in the middle at marathon pace;
    6:51, 6:42, 6:41, 6:43, 6:43, 6:45, 6:41 & 6:30 (average 6:42). Just tried to keep it nice and relaxed, which I more or less did.
    Also did it on a hilly course and there was a mean cross wind to contend with too, so better again :rolleyes:

As a precaution, I decided to take yesterday off after Friday MP run.

Today, Sunday, I did 20mls easy. Did the first 3by myself that bumped into a couple of lads from the club. After 6mls I joined up with 8 more lads for company for the rest of the run. Apart from a brief cold shower, the weather held up nicely and it was actually quite pleasant running in the prom, both times!
    Took the pace nice and easy, averaged 7:38 and felt fine at the end.

Week Distance = 60mls (6 days)

Note:
    Hopefully now there will be no more illnesses to contend with and I can get 7 good weeks of about 75/wk average under the belt.

Monday - 8mls nice and easy

Tuesday - am - 6.5mls, pm - 5.5mls

Wednesday - Had planned to do 4 x 1ml, 1 hr easy & a 20min tempo. It was the daughters confirmation so was stuck in the church a lot longer than anticipated (2hrs :eek: ). When I finally got out and ready, I didn't have the time to do the session, so reverted to Plan B; 4 x 1ml - 5mins jog - 3 x 1ml, reps all off 1min.
    Was almost floored by a falling branch during my warm up, not a good sign. Wind was really bad, in fact I didn't realise how bad it was :rolleyes:, that is until I hit the track. First rep was 6:41, was almost at a standstill at times. Managed 400m of the 2nd rep in 1:45 and decided to let common sense prevail.

Thursday
    Wanted to try to make up for yesterday. Planned a 20min tempo with a couple of lads from the club. After about 4mins I hit the ground on a turn and came down hard on my wrist. Thankfully it was on the grass at least. Jumped up again and caught up with the lads. Starting feeling the pace after 10-12mins so cut it to 15mins at 6:08 pace.
    Hand definitely sore afterwards.

Friday
    Took it off as a precaution. Went to A&E but left after an hour, it was full of sick people :D

Saturday
    In 2 minds about going to doc, hand still bruised and swollen. Did an easy 8mls instead.

Sunday
    Was originally going to do an 8K race today but with all that was going on decided to give it a miss. Headed out for a 20 miler instead. After a first mile of 8:03, kept the rest of them about 7:25. Had a few pints last night, and didn't bring a gel or water with me, so could feel my right quad cramping after 14-15mls so decided to cut it at 17.5mls.
    Good idea as when I went to take a nap my calf cramped badly a few times, something that hasn't happened to me since I started taking magnesium supplements.
    Need to be more diligent going forward and stay hydrated, and take gels on long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

You are not having much luck.
    Hope the change of weather brings a change of fortune.

Monday
    Just over 8mls at a nice easy pace to recover from yesterdays long run.
    Felt ok.

Distance = 8.06mls

Tuesday
    Had planned a quality session for tomorrow to give me sufficient time to recover from Sunday's effort, but the weather was supposed to be crap, so decided to get it in today.
    Had planned 4 x 1ml off 1min, 1hr easy and then a 20min tempo. Bumped into a lad from the club during the warm up so he did the miles with me.
    Just wanted to do these at tempo pace; 6:08-10, so that I would have enough in the tank to do the 20mins at the same pace.
    Started off a bit too fast; 5:58. Common sense prevailed for the last 3 which were at 6:09, 6:10 & 6:09. Felt pretty good doing these, relaxed, we were even talking a bit.
    Tired doing the hour easy, pace was consistent enough at 7:45/ml, but I did feel tired enough at the end of it to decide to skip the 20min tempo. Between the missing the guts of a week with a stomach bug a few weeks ago and a couple of days last week with the hand, I was conscious not to overdo it and I just wanted to try to listen to my body.

Distance = 14.19mls

Wednesday
    Just an easy 7mls, garmin was charging!

Thursday
    Easy 8mls at 7:33 pace

Friday
    Planned to do 12mls at MP.
    Weather was very windy with some cold showers thrown in for good measure.
    After an easy first 2mls of 8:14 & 7:26, I got into it. Splits were:
    6:47, 6:50, 6:42, 6:51, 6:44, 6:42, 6:49, 6:49, 6:39 & 6:50.
    Took a gel after 6mls.

As you can see, only did 10mls MP in the end. I found that when I was running into the wind or up the drags of hills, I ended up with some of my fastest miles. I think I was pushing too much here for fear of falling off the pace, and I paid for it in mile 10 when I started to feel it. Had done enough so didn't mind leaving it there.
    Finished up with 2mls+ at 7:55 & 7:59 pace, although I felt like I was barely moving.

Distance = 14.33mls

Saturday

6.25mls easy.
    Felt ok, a little fatigued, pace was a bit over 8mins.

Sunday
    Long easy run with the club.
    Decided not to take a gel but probably should have really.
    Pace was ok but probably a bit too fast towards the end when we averaged 7:14 for the last 4mls, and I started to feel a bit tired.

Distance = 15.38mls

Week Distance = 73.3mls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice week and a great session on Tues.

Monday
    Just an easy 6.5mls to recover from yesterday.
    Felt ok, a little flat.

Tuesday
    Was hoping to do my quality session today to give myself sufficient time to get ready for the 1/2 on Saturday, but had to go to a meeting in Dublin so wasn't going to happen.
    Actually thought about doing a tempo when I went out at 7.45am, but was struggled to run 8min+/mls as it was :(

Distance = 8.3mls

Wednesday
    Had planned on doing 2 x 20min tempo but decided one was probably wiser with the race just 3 days away.
    Did it on the track and the weather was great for it, sunny & mild with only a bit of wind on the top bend. Even got to strip down to just shorts & t-shirt!
    Had been struggling every time I tried to do a tempo for the past few months, last one out managed to hit 6:08 for 15mins and was floored after it.
    Today I just wanted to keep each lap at 92/93secs (6:10-12 pace), but ended up averaging just under 91secs per lap (6:05's) and finished feeling comfortable.
    Best run out for a long while, hopefully a sign of things to come. Its great when you get a run like this after grinding out sessions in all sorts of weather for what seems like months now.

Distance = 7.5mls

Thursday
    am - 4mls easy in glorious sunshine. Felt great after yesterday's tempo
    pm - 5mls. Started off a bit too fast with a couple of lads from the club (sub 7 pace) so I backed off after a couple of miles. Felt tired near the end.

Friday
    Very busy day at work so didn't manage to get out. Tbh, couple probably have found the time somewhere if I had wanted too, but figured with the race tomorrow it'll do no harm.

Saturday - Kinvara 1/2 Marathon
    Had missed a couple of lead up races I had planned for Boston due to illness, so I was really looking forward to this.
    Training had been going well, 74mls last week, including 10mls at 6:46 pace, long runs, a 20 min tempo at a comfortable 6:05 pace this week, so I was looking to run somewhere between 82-84mins ................................ ended up with 92:16 !

Splits were 6:16, 6:22, 6:32, 6:40, 6:42, 6:47, 7:04, 7:10, 7:26, 7:41, 7:51, 7:35, 7:08, 6:22.
    Not sure what happened, breathing was perfect, I just had no energy in my legs. I did a good warm up, and I felt good doing the 2 x 1min at race pace.
    I took a gel beforehand, wasn't sure if it was going to do any good, but I had 3 with me, and had no place to put them, I will have to address this next week.
    Ended up sticking one of them in the tiny pocket in the shorts, but had to take it out again immediately after the start as it felt so uncomfortable. Carried them for the first few miles, took one at about 5mls, and ended up discarding he other a mile later as at that stage, the race had well and truly got away from me.
    The only thing that I can think my be responsible is a stressful week at work. I ran 17mls over this course a few weeks ago with a few of the lads at the same pace, and it was like a walk in the park.
    Anyway, hopefully I got my bad race out of the way now.:rolleyes:

Tough break Paul, but better to get the bad one out of the way early.
    BTW I picked up a pair on Ron Hill shorts in AK that have 4 gel pockets and a zip pocket, wore them with 4 gels on a long run yesterday and they were very comfortable.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Tough break Paul, but better to get the bad one out of the way early.
    BTW I picked up a pair on Ron Hill shorts in AK that have 4 gel pockets and a zip pocket, wore them with 4 gels on a long run yesterday and they were very comfortable.

Cheers Dom, I will definitely be checking them out, don't want to leave to leave anything to chance on the big day.

Monday
    Well, after taking yesterday off to mope around the place and try to figure out what the hell happened with the 1/2 marathon, I headed out today for an easy run with a difference.
    Had to drop by my brothers place which just so happened to be right beside the field where I logged 1000's of miles in my teenage years. Couldn't resist jumping the wall and doing a lap for old time's sake. Although the astro turf footy pitches have wiped out half of the running path that we had, I was still able to get enough in to bring me back to my youth. Anyone that saw me was probably wondering what the hell I was smiling at :D

Distance = 7.8mls/7:14 pace

Tuesday

An easy 7.75mls, felt fairly tired in the middle but bounced back near the end.

Wednesday
    Had a chat with the brother about the 1/2 and the next 7 weeks leading up to Boston. As well as been a 2:17 marathoner, he is also a part time coach in the states, so how could I go wrong!
    He reckoned that I was training too hard, as an example of that he reminded me that for the 8 days leading up to the 1/2 M I had done a 14ml run with 10 @ 6:46/ml, two days later I did a 15.5ml run, and three days after that I did a 20min tempo at 6:05 pace (he said that should have been at 6:25-30!).

So he has set me a schedule for the remaining weeks. Today was 8 x 800m off 2miins at 2:55-3:00.
    Ended up with 2:54, 2:52, 2:54, 2:54, 2:53, 2:53. 2:53 & 2:53.
    Felt good doing them and after them.
    Fingers crossed from here on in ................

Thursday
    8mls easy, although I ended up picking it up a bit on last couple of miles when I bumped into a mate.

Friday
    An easy 5mls followed by 6 x 100m strides. Felt a bit flat until I got to the strides.

Saturday
    5mile tempo in 6:23, 6:26, 6:24, 6:23 & 6:26
    Felt ok, did it around the pitches so lots of bends to contend with, also a b*tch of a wind in a section. Tried to stay relaxed in it, but definitely glad when it was done and dusted.

Sunday
    Met a couple of lads from the club at 7.45am and did 9mls with them. Then hooked up with another group of 8 to get 15mls more in.
    Felt fairly good. Just wanted to go easy, but I mistimed it a bit so had to throw in 2mls at 7:10 pace to catch the 2nd group. Legs started to feel heavy over the last few miles, probably due to the tempo yesterday.

Tomorrow if an optional day off, will see how I feel.

Distance = 22mls
    Time = 2:50:16

WEEK DISTANCE = 66mls

Monday
    After back to back days of a tempo run & long run, I decided to take the day off today.

Tuesday
    Just an easy 8mls, felt ok.

Wednesday
    5 x 1ml off 2mins in 5:58, 5:59, 5:58, 6:00 & 5:56. Tshirt & shorts weather, and had a buddy to do them with. Felt very relaxed and controlled in them. Last year I would have been doing them 10-15secs faster and forcing them, now I prefer to finish them in relative ease.

Thursday
    10mls easy, felt pretty good again.

Friday
    Just an easy 6mls followed by 6 x 100m strides.

Saturday
    12mls with 8mls @ mp in the middle. Averaged 6:41, felt fairly good, could have gone on for more.

Sunday
    Ended up taking today off as had my last beers before Boston last night.
    Was going to take tomorrow off anyway so no biggie.

Monday
    An easy 8.4mls. Felt pretty good, strong at the end

Tuesday
    8.25mls easy

Wednesday
    12 x 400m off 1min.
    Was only supposed to do these at 85-88secs but ended up with 82, 83, 82, 81, 82, 81, 81, 81, 80 & 80.
    Felt relaxed doing them, strong wind to contend with down the home straight, just wanted to concentrate on form and not force it.

Thursday
    7.13mls at 8:15 pace. Not sure why I was going so slow. Felt fine, just didn't want to push it at all. Funny enough, I met a mate for the last bit and immediately upped the pace to 7min/m, and of course I felt better :rolleyes:

Friday
    6mls easy and 6 x 100m strides with 100 jog rec.
    For what its worth,; 17, 18, 17, 17, 17, 17

Saturday
    Just 3.5mls easy

Sunday - Craughwell 10 - 63:12
    Wasn't sure whether to race or to use it as a tempo type run. Was debating aiming anywhere from going for 61mins to running 6:30's and doing a MP run -10secs, about 6:30 pace.

Ended up with:
    6:02, 6:19, 6:09, 6:19, 6:33, 6:23, 6:18, 6:10, 6:13 & 6:27.
    Was running with 3 club mates who are also running Boston, one lad is in sub 2:50 shape (ran 35:04 for 10K recently) and the other lad in only a min or 2 back. Myself and the other guy will be happy with a sub 3.

The first mile is downhill so the 6:02 felt very easy. We were having a chat along the way so the miles were rolling by. Took a gel at 5mls. Wanted this to feel comfortable for as long as possible, and hopefully I can take that knowledge into Boston with me.
    Felt fine up until 7mls when the 2 fast guys started upping the pace. I held back, but have to say wasn't really that enthusiastic about going with them anyway. :rolleyes:
    The last mile is an uphill drag so was glad to see the finish line.
    Good day out.

Monday
    Just an easy 5.5mls, legs felt fine after yesterday's 10 mile race.

TuesdayEasy 8.3mls, nothing to report.

Wednesday
    14mls easy. Felt ok physically, couldn't really get into it though, unable to relax for some reason!

Thursday
    8mls easy

Friday
    6.3mls easy

Saturday
    5ml tempo at 6:27, 6:16, 6:22, 6:25 & 6:17 pace.
    Again I couldn't really relax with this. Felt fine, not breathing too hard or anything, but just didn't feel loose.

Sunday
    Last long one before the big day.
    22mls in 2:48. 2 gels, company for most of it. Beautiful morning, what more could one ask for :)

WEEK DISTANCE= 73.5mls

Solid week, you're well on track to nail it.

Monday
    Opted to avail of a rest day after a big weekend.

Tuesday
    Had to drive to Carlingford for a funeral so got out early (8am) for an easy 8+mls. Nice morning for it too.

Wednesday
    At 6.50am I dragged myself up the hills of Carlingford for an easy 6mls. Felt far better than I deserved too considering I had 5 pints of Arthur last night :rolleyes:

Thursday
    Had 8 x 800m off 2min on the schedule. Decided to add 2 more and increase the rec's to a 400m continuous jog. This was after a buddy told me about the yasoo 800 marathon predictor (http://www.saltyrunning.com/2013/02/05/a-salty-guide-to-yasso-800s/).
    As much as I would like, I don't buy into the idea that this session is an accurate predictor, but seen as I was averaging 2:55/56, I'll take it :D

Happy to keep them consistent:
    2:54, 2:56, 2:56, 2:57, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55, 2:55, 2:57, 2:53
    Was a bit tired before this due to a lot of driving the past couple of days and trying ti fight off the cold that my daughter was kind enough to bring home from school last week.

Distance = 11.75mls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

What hills did you hit in Carlingford? They're bloody steep!

• Advertisement

What hills did you hit in Carlingford? They're bloody steep!

Not too sure really, ran from the town heading towards Warrenpoint and turned back after 3mls. I imagine it would be a lovely run with a bit of sunshine :cool:

Advertisement