Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

concrete trough with a drain plug

• 02-05-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

looking for a concrete water trough that has a good drain. 130G would be plenty big.
    It will be near a house with young children so would like to be able to turn the water off to it and leave it empty. Would be a lot of piece of mind all around.

I've looked at the ones in Dairy Gold Coop and they seem to only have a tiny hole in the bottom on one side more for transport purposes. And I failed to see the bung to plug it.

advise appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

johnny murphys "troughs direct" from wexford. lovely finish,easy to plumb,simple plug,pipe goes in at the bottom so safe from cattle,rojo valves and supposed to be frost resistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

keep going wrote: »
    johnny murphys "troughs direct" from wexford. lovely finish,easy to plumb,simple plug,pipe goes in at the bottom so safe from cattle,rojo valves and supposed to be frost resistant

Have looked at them but i dont see any plug/drain. but thats just online.
    Are my missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 melly

His troughs are lovely. Great finish and fast fill ballcocks. The drain plug is an ordinary sink plug (Handy if you lose it easy to replace). The only thing is that its on the bottom so if the trough is not up on something the water wont come out when you pull the plug

melly wrote: »
    His troughs are lovely. Great finish and fast fill ballcocks. The drain plug is an ordinary sink plug (Handy if you lose it easy to replace). The only thing is that its on the bottom so if the trough is not up on something the water wont come out when you pull the plug

ok thanks
    shame the plug is not contained in the description on his site or in his youtube vid.

Have emailed him to confirm 'plug/drain'

Any other players in town who have a drain feature?

Got an email back from them and they confirm that there is a drain plug.
    would love a pic though....

still any other players in town?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joystick

John Murphy concrete troughs have bung at the floor of trough right beside the wall of the trough when you pull plug the water just flows out on to the ground and they have a switch to turn off water at there valve .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Have a few old concrete throughs myself. Using a masonry drillbit drilled a hole and got a brass fitting (with sealer) and screw on cover that fits underneath. Works like a charm. Farming on a non-existant budget is a great educator:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Cast iron bath is your only man. if a young lad falls in they can climb out.

Don't usually crack in frost. Easy clean.

Drain plug supplied. and on a hot day you can have a bath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A neighbour lost a lamb to drowning in a water trough of ours, since then we 3/4 fill the trough with stones to make it more shallow, it also makes it more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

HI ya, SMP concrete from just over the border do a well finished trough with a large 4" plug in the bottom. They say they can empty 400 gallon troughs in less than 2 mins. Maybe a bit far from you but might be worth a look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sheafield wrote: »
    HI ya, SMP concrete from just over the border do a well finished trough with a large 4" plug in the bottom. They say they can empty 400 gallon troughs in less than 2 mins. Maybe a bit far from you but might be worth a look!
    where abouts are they? i hate the big plastic drinkers that are impossible to keep level and get thrown everywhere when empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derekgtr

i think john murphys concrete drinking troughs have a big bung on the side of them now , i saw them at ploughing match when looking at his concrete feeders

looks like some1 has been paying attention:p
    Full-10513181.jpeg
    http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=10513181&ad=3120047&s3=true

patent pending!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    where is my fee?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP you could siphon it out with a 2 inch flexible hose, you know the type for the small coupling on the slurry tanks about 6ft long?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    OP you could siphon it out with a 2 inch flexible hose, you know the type for the small coupling on the slurry tanks about 6ft long?

motivation for thread start was a trough that could be left empty so as children cant drown in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I thought you just wanted to empty it quickly. You could cover it with 4 inch mesh to stop kids getting into it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

49801 wrote: »
    It will be near a house with young children so would like to be able to turn the water off to it and leave it empty. Would be a lot of piece of mind all around.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    I thought you just wanted to empty it quickly. You could cover it with 4 inch mesh to stop kids getting into it.

;)
    a bit of mesh from the garden is what is being used:D.
    would still prefer my orginal idea of a concrete trough like in the picture above though.

Advertisement