Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terenure Synagogue Garda Presence

Options
  • 02-05-2011 11:31am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A cousin of mine is after moving out that way and I have been out with him the last couple of Saturday's,I have noticed a garda presence synagogue my cousin says they are there all the time.This got me thinking has there ever been an incident or is it just the garda been proactive..?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

I would hope it is a proactive move by the Gardaí. It would be shameful to think of people of the Jewish faith in Ireland being physically intimidated due to either anti-semetism or anti-Israeli(ism).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would hope it is a proactive move by the Gardaí. It would be shameful to think of people of the Jewish faith in Ireland being physically intimidated due to either anti-semetism or anti-Israeli(ism).

Thats what I hope to,I have never heard of any anti semitic activity in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thats what I hope to,I have never heard of any anti semitic activity in Ireland.

When will the Census results be out? I'd be curious about the numbers of Jews in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Have the guards literally got nothing better to do than cosset an already pandered-to minority?

Maybe they would be better employed,for example dealing with the open drug dealing around o'connell st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I'd be curious about the numbers of Jews in Ireland.

Feck all.

Could it be that the Gardai are there for a VIP e.g. Israeli Ambassador.

The cross section of secular or unaffiliated Jews in Dublin is a demographic Carl Nelkin, a spokesman for the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland – who also records Irish Jewish music – has trouble identifying. In the 2006 census “Jewish” was no longer listed in the religious categories, instead giving people the option to specify “other”. It registered 1,216 Jews in Dublin (of an estimated 13 million worldwide), yet Nelkin believes the number of Jews in the area turning out for social or religious events is closer to 300. “If you can’t see them, it’s almost like they’re not there,” he says.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/1211/1224285281188.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Feck all.

Could it be that the Gardai are there for a VIP e.g. Israeli Ambassador.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/1211/1224285281188.html

If you can’t see them, it’s almost like they’re not there

They move unseeeen amongst ussss!:eek:

When will the Census results be out? I'd be curious about the numbers of Jews in Ireland.

There are very few, a lot of them move to the UK where there is a bigger community.

Never seen the guards up that way myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Degsy wrote: »
    Have the guards literally got nothing better to do than cosset an already pandered-to minority?

Maybe they would be better employed,for example dealing with the open drug dealing around o'connell st.

Its a presence..just like they provide the US embassy and the British embassy..its nothing to do with pandering to minorities, its to protect people who may be at risk...I walk in and around O Connell st.and boardwalk area of quays every day...always seems to Gardai about..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

There has always been a presence around big events on the Jewish calendar like passover, Yom kippur. Now that Alan Shatter is Minister for Justice and Minister for Defence, the presence has probably been stepped up and he would have his own garda minders anyway so it's more visible.

Why would Terenure Gardai be on O'Connell St Degsy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dub13 wrote: »

Have you not heard of the Limerick pogroms?

From Wikipedia:
    In 1904 a young Catholic priest, Father John Creagh, of the Redemptorist order, delivered a fiery sermon castigating Jews for their rejection of Christ, being usurers and allies of the Freemasons then persecuting the Church in France, taking over the local economy, selling shoddy goods at inflated prices, to be paid for in installments. He urged Catholics "not to deal with the Jews."Later, after eighty Jews had been driven from their homes, Creagh was disowned by his superiors saying that: religious persecution had no place in Ireland.The Limerick Pogrom was the economic boycott waged against the small Jewish community for over two years. Keogh suggests the name derives from their previous Lithuanian experience even though no one was killed or seriously injured. Limerick's Protestant community, many of whom were also traders, supported the Jews throughout the pogrom, but ultimately Limerick's Jews fled the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Have the guards literally got nothing better to do than cosset an already pandered-to minority?.

"already pandered-to minority"

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wyndham wrote: »
    Now that Alan Shatter is Minister for Justice and Minister for Defence, the presence has probably been stepped up and he would have his own garda minders anyway so it's more visible.

my uncle lives near him. The gardai play football with his kids on the green they're so bored minding our good minister

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Any examples Degsy? Must say I'm a bit lost here as I genuinely can't think of one instance of this country pandering to Jewish wants.

Mind you I can't think of any Jewish wants on Irish society either. But maybe you could expand a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Gobsh1te.

The Gardai are not there 24/7.

Last Saturday was the beginning of the Passover (I believe) and as far as I know they invite the ambassador and a few high level heads there- so there is a need, on that occasion, to have a few of the blues about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IRE60 wrote: »
    Gobsh1te..

Watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

So the cops post a detail outside a Synagogue when it is being attended by the Israeli Ambassador and the Irish Minister for Justice / Defence which is irrelevant because even if they weren't there it would be a target for Islamic Extremists and people on here think it's disgraceful?

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

I used to live directly across the road from the synagogue up until 6 months ago. There is always a Garda presence there on saturdays, usually just one garda, the odd time two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There's hardly any left. A lot emigrated to the UK and Israel after the 1940s. They were even taken off as a category for religion if you noticed. I'd say there's probably 1,000 at most and maybe a few hundred who practise Judaism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I worked there for a couple of weeks and never saw any gards they must have some on the sabboth as a precaution!!!

Advertisement