Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLL RE Letter to the IMO

Options
  • 02-05-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been out country for the last week or so.It looks like there hasnt been any response from the shooting organisations,and on April 30th in the Indo there was another call from the IMO on this matter to the Dept of Justice and defence to halt all further liscense granting.
    So the poll on this is simple enough.YES or NO do we send the letter.

[Doing this for Vix as he hasnt seen the post a poll box at the bottom of starting new threads here.:p:p:p]

Will run to midnight Saturday...So vote early,vote often!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Do we send an open letter in response to the IMO demands?? 21 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

ok
    for the non political shooters
    what the feck is that poll in relation to?????

what "demands"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

endasmail wrote: »
    ok
    for the non political shooters
    what the feck is that poll in relation to?????

what "demands"

Its all in this thread enda
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056249524

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't know if you've looked at absolutely any newspaper, news channel or media source in the world this morning Grizzly, but somehow I don't think the IMO's post-AGM statement is going to make the headlines and gain any public opinion support. Unless, of course, we dredge it up. Like I said, let's wait and see if their little speech gains any support at all and then do the grassroots thing. (And no, "we had our AGM and made this speech and took a vote amongst us fee-charging doctors who liked the sound of earning more fees and now we'd like to send a letter to the DoJ about it" doesn't count as a new development).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

There's a couple of things which would make me, and should make us all, very wary of sending such an open letter:

1. We do not yet know for certain whether or not anyone from our own shooting organisations has or has not addressed this issue yet. In fact, we do not yet know if this is even an issue yet.
    2. A letter sent to our own organisations requesting that they deal with this matter, if necessary, would be a far better use of our time and resources - and would allow us to use the organisations to work for our benefit, rather than "us" going off on a "solo-run".
    3. There has been little or no coverage of this "suggestion" by a couple of IMO members - I have not heard or read anything about this since it was first covered on the RTE news the first time around (and I noted that by the time the 11O'C news came on, it had been dropped from the news).
    4. Firing off open letters to the press and media may be all well and good, but you may find that you restart media interest in a topic which has not exactly gained any traction. And in raising such media interest, please do not be too surprised that the media decide to take a slightly biased approach and report on things in a way which your original letter was not intended. Remember the law of unintended consequences may kick in.
    5. Remember the IMO are NOT a regulatory body. It is clearly shown that those members of the IMO who are putting forward these inane ideas at their own meeting really do not know what they are talking about. I'd hazard a guess that their proposal will not even gain traction or support from their own IMO.
    6. In the unlikely event that this idea does gain some traction, then that is when we should roll! But I'd suggest that we "hold fire" and "keep our powder dry" and await the opportune time to deal with this matter (if it ever becomes an actual and real matter of worry, rather than just an internal IMO suggestion-box submission).
    7. Let's not give credence to dumb ideas and fall into the trap of giving them the oxygen of publicity. There's a time and a place for action, but IMvHO this is not yet it.

You may feel better in yourselves for having sent such a letter (and everyone is well with the rights to send whatever letters they like TBH), but do not, for a second, forget, the law of unintended consequences - Sometimes it's wiser to hold your own council and time your response for when it is actually required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [Doing this for Vix as he hasnt seen the post a poll box at the bottom of starting new threads here.:p:p:p]

Sorry for not being as tech savy as yourself Griz - By reading the above comment some people may think you are trying to distance yourself from the poll in case its a negative - If you've changed your mind and you think the poll isnt required, then by all means remove it.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 marksman74

vixdname wrote: »
    Sorry for not being as tech savy as yourself Griz - By reading the above comment some people may think you are trying to distance yourself from the poll in case its a negative - If you've changed your mind and you think the poll isnt required, then by all means remove it.

Come on Grizzly45, you seemed to be all for some action last week, are you having second thoughts ?

And I quote below:

So ,I suggest the following,no doubt this has been followed by agents of our respective shooting communites and bodies or been reported back to them.I suggest that if either NARGC or NTS....whatever![not thinking too straight today!:(]
    Does not issue a public statement on this within the next six days.Hold a poll and decide it by democratic vote here to send it or not.
    Grizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'm undecided :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

marksman74 wrote: »
    Come on Grizzly45, you seemed to be all for some action last week, are you having second thoughts ?

And I quote below:
    Cat and belling thereof springs to mind about this!!

Guess what Marksman!!! It IS seven days later,and here is the poll!!! I DO stick with what I say I will do...;) BTW thanks for underlining in bold the fact that I suggested this poll and that I would go with the democratic opinion of a majority,not fire this off as a solo run,as some are suggesting this will be.

@Vix.
    Lighten up and suck it in!!:D.It's at the bottom of every new thread page how to do a poll.No great tech savvy required,just scroll down the page to the include a poll box;):D.Said I'd help you out with this and it is important to poll everyone who is intrested wether this is a good or bad idea.Either way,WE WILL go with what the poll says here.
    Edit...After all the test will be as this is an open letter of those who if it is a YES..Will they put their "John Hancock" to it as well???Do we belive in somthing well enough to actually stand and be counted by signing it?That is always an acid test.

@ Sparks
    Err actually NO Sparks I havent...And havent been particulary arsed to do so either after my last week of funeral arrangements and attendance.
    Only glanced at messages and headlines once all last week.Just catching up now.Yes.. indeed I agree with you about wait and see if it goes further.
    IF it doesnt,well and good..IF it DOES there is already a grassroots letter ready to go..NOBODY said they were going to send it at once the poll closed !!!;):)

@ Dcorbus
    Answering your points;
    1]No.. true we dont know is it an issue yet,BUT as I said before ,we are well able at adapting the dumbest and costilest suggestions in Ireland and bemoaning loudly after the fact!!After all, we the taxpayer will pay up, and shut up about it.

2] Which organisation of the organisationl alphabet soup of Irish shooting do you suggest deals with this???:confused: Or will be assed??
    As this time it is NOT about pistol shooters,game shooters,airgun shooters,clay shooters,rifle shooters,or whatever...It is about ALL shooters in Ireland...You own a gun,it concerns you and your organisation,no opt out on this one.

3] Irish indo April 30th 2011,another paragraph header on this and the IMO conference.

4] The law of unintended consequences applies to everything in this life..
    But maybe ,it is better to growl softly and send a message that it might be unwise to kick this resting dog,than to awaken it rudely and have a financial bite taken out of your leg,needing medical attendance by one of your colleuges.:)

5] No they are not,and yes it is a crackpot idea of theirs.However..who are the general public/politicans likley to listen to more?"Respectable "doctors who kill more people in Ireland by medical malpractise and mis diagnosis,than legally held firearms have in two decades.Or a bunch of "obviously mentally disturbed" people that want to own firearms and kill little Bambi or their neighbours,and cant get a unified response out of their many organisations who are supposed to repersent them??Just because you have a degree in somthing ,doesnt mean you are awash with common sense either.

6] Agreed,but it is prudent to have the old musket loaded for bear and holding fire and keeping the powder dry in and carrying the musket in the crook of an arm.Rather than having to charge,looad and ram the ball home when the bear is acharging you:)
    Or,more in our case in Ireland looking for the damn thing,and hoping it will function when it is needed.:rolleyes:

7]Very much agreed,but see above point about sending IF and WHEN made to Sparks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

@ Sparks
    Err actually NO Sparks I havent...And havent been particulary arsed to do so either after my last week of funeral arrangements and attendance.
    Not slagging Grizz, it's just that there won't be any space left after all the "We got Osama" news for the next few days - the IMO couldn't have timed their release worse if they'd tried. I say, let it fall into the black hole it's aimed at and sink without a trace.
    IF it doesnt,well and good..IF it DOES there is already a grassroots letter ready to go
    If it does, I'll be in the queue to sign it myself, and with good cause. Grassroots protests work, we've seen that before with the rolling back of the licence fee hike (which was one of the few things McDowell ever rolled back on in his entire time in office). It's just waiting till we have a good sight picture before firing :)

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Grizzly 45;71994091
    @Vix.
    Lighten up and suck it in!!:D.It's at the bottom of every new thread page how to do a poll.No great tech savvy required,just scroll down the page to the include a poll box;).[/QUOTE]

Sorry Griz, I never saw that option when starting any threads as I never needed to start any polls here in the past. I'm sorry if getting you to tick that box to start the poll was too much to ask.:p:p:p
    Now son..... maybe YOU need to lighten up and suck it in. ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

vixdname wrote: »
    . I'm sorry if getting you to tick that box to start the poll was too much to ask.:p:p:p
    Now son..... maybe YOU need to lighten up and suck it in. ;););)

Just extracting the urine from you.:D
    After the week I had ,most gladly!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

It's just waiting till we have a good sight picture before firing

+1

Now, that's the best analogy I've heard so far!

Lads, as can be seen from the poll, the yes vote won.
    I have received over 20 names and addresses of lads on here that want their names added to the end of the letter in question.

Bear in mind, to keep all our privacy and firearm security under wraps I wont be including the full addresses of any of the lads mentioned above and will only include name and village, town or city

After talking to Griz about the poll result it was decided that I add the names and details of the lads and create an actual hard copy of the letter, print off enough copies so as we can send one to each of the national papers and the IMO itself.

Lastly, rather then send this letter right away, it was chosen that the letter is held back and if \ when this particular issue is raised again, whether it be by the IMO, a politician wishing to jump on the band wagon or any one else that the letter at that stage would be sent out without further notice to all of the destinations above.

It is also hoped that if this proposal is raised again in the future that we would not be alone on trying to oppose it and that we would be joined, back or be backed by our representing organisations whoever they may be.

Feedback, if any, is appreciated. :)

Advertisement