Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Towny

• 02-05-2011 11:54am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm starting a poll based on the Towny feedback for the server. I'd like a visual representation instead of scattered opinions, so leave me an answer and why you say yes/no, so we can implement it in the best way possible... (or not)

Thanks!

EDIT: If it were implemented, there would first be a plan of action.

1. Identify and locate nominated towns. Admins will approve/disapprove the towns and with reasons if needed
    2. Users declare allies with other nominated and approved towns
    3. Use a rendered map to colour co-ordinate the nations for nominated and approved allied towns
    4. Implement the Towny plugin
    5. Elect mayors for towns and give the mayors their command status to add residents
    6. Elect kings for nations (if any)
    7. Discuss iConomy and whether to bring it back, giving nations a bank account, resurrecting shops etc

Possible Rules:
    - A resident cannot be a resident of two nations, except in the neutral Nation which will be the spawn area.
    - A mayor cannot be mayor of more than one town. If the mayor has built another town and wishes to nominate it as a new town, he must step down as mayor of the current town and allow residents to re-elect a new mayor.
    - A mutiny vote can be called for mayors with big egos :P 66% of residents must vote in favour of mutiny. Democracy at its finest. Admins will then decide its fate.

Another note: I'll be looking for another possible server admin to help with this. Shim isn't around as much and adding Towny will increase workload on myself. He'll have access to some extra commands on the server but nothing else.
    -

Towny? 35 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    88% 31 votes
    Maybe
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm in agreement with this anyway. I gave my reasons on another thread but ill give them again here.

I think this will benefit the server because right now we have individuals or small groups of players going out and building randomly around the map. With the towny mod it'll encourage more cooperation and we'll see more people involving themselves in group projects like building and expanding towns etc.

Also i think the rivalry between towns will be fun and the server community will hopefully be better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

I am definitely in favour for this. It would be awesome having nations battling it out (not in each others towns though, that would get out of hand).

Would it be possible for different towns to be part of one nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Can't wait for this (assuming it'll pass of course). It'll kick more life into the server :P

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

definitely in favour of this, had it on the last server i was on, it makes for great event nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm only intermittently on the server, so have missed any talk of towny. So what is it? Is it just turning the game into PvP, or is it a way to stop people from messing with your constructions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Taking it off the official website:
    Towny is a plugin for a Bukkit modded Minecraft server. The plugin itself is a manager for a Resident-Town-Nation hierarchy, as well as a block permission manager for a grid-like protection system. Each town has a mayor, while a nation has a king. They both have their own assistants to help run their respective people. Players can also purchase land from the town, for a daily tax set by the mayor. The player can allow his friends from out of town to build on his land when even his very own town's people can't build if he so wishes.

Y9PNo.png
    The bases of protection follows under how the world is seperated into chunks. For those unaware, minecraft servers are broken up into 16x16x128 sections of blocks. The 128 being the height from the adimantium floor to the clouds in the sky. The protection ignores the height an focuses on the x and z planes. The default size for grid squares is 16x16, similar to the chunk size (no real reason). So claiming townblock (a grid square) allows that section of land to follow your town's or the plot owner's permissions.

Each town can claim up to a certain amount of townblocks, a set ratio or amount configured in the setting that is relative to the amount of players taking residence in that town. Residents themselves have no limit on how many they claim, however the daily tax (when using alongside iConomy) will take a bite out of their resources. The money is tunneled to the town's bank account that only the mayor can withdraw from, except if the town belongs to a nation. Any town belonging to a nation is required to pay the nation a daily upkeep as well.

To the right you can see an example of 3 towns using the grid structure. Each cell represents 16x16 blocks (and 128 blocks high of course).

Everything will be carefully monitored, the nations will be colour coded as above, so yeah, see how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And if it's implemented and someone doesn't want to be part of a town and just wants to bumble about on their own, do they just find a new server, or can they do their own thing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, well I'm just about to post configurable options, but generally you can still build anywhere, Towny will implement building protection as well as a number of other features, so if you're a resident of a Town you can benefit from the things (like a storage house or something)

So anyway, I just did a test load on the server there, and the default configuration stops players from building in the wild: IE they must be a member of a nation to build within the area. I'm sure some people won't like it. So I'll throw up some changeable options here and tell me whether you'd be for them or not, or whatever you see fit.

- Mobs cannot spawn/destroy buildings inside the town zone

- Users cannot build/destroy anything unless they are a member of the nation they are building within. (I am personally against this)

- Health regenerates when you're in your resident town

- Non residents of a nation/town cannot build within the area defined. A basic UI interface will be available for users to check if they're in a nationed area (nationed areas will generally not be large, unless the towns have more than 20 residents.

- Mayors can nominate an assistant to help manage the town/bank/nation

- iConomy is ON. This would integrate a lot of features. It will COST MONEY to create a town/nation. Each Town would have its own bank account for the Mayor of the town. The mayor can choose whether to put tax on town area plots in order to pay off the creation of the town, or future development of a nation. There would be a town upkeep price (determined by admin) for all towns daily. Should Towns/Nations run into debt, their Town/Nation status may be removed.

- iConomy shops will be reintroduced to help pay off such items. All users will begin with a determined amount of cash once again.

- War can be waged with 2 nations if they declare war on each other. All towns within that nation become open to PvP and griefing. Points are awarded to nations that destroy another nations town by killing the mayor, or killing ALL mayors withing the nation. This leaves the nation unclaimed which means the opposing nation can expand their nation by claiming it after defeating. Of course with such a small populated server, its not really worth thinking about right now.

- NPCs will be reintroduced to add character to towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Not liking
    As I have a mob trap just below my place.

Well that can be fixed. It can be any size above or below ground, so lets say from town surface and upwards

• Advertisement

I would be against this. Kind of ruins the survival aspect of the server.

- Users cannot build/destroy anything unless they are a member of the nation they are building within. (I am personally against this)

I would be against this for nations but maybe allow it for twons instead. If you're not a resident of a town you cant build destroy in it.

- Health regenerates when you're in your resident town

Not a fan of this either. One project for a town would be creating a farm for food. Health regeneration would make that pointless.

- Mayors can nominate an assistant to help manage the town/bank/nation

I would support this. It would be a good idea to have assistants for a mayor.

- iConomy is ON. This would integrate a lot of features. It will COST MONEY to create a town/nation. Each Town would have its own bank account for the Mayor of the town. The mayor can choose whether to put tax on town area plots in order to pay off the creation of the town, or future development of a nation. There would be a town upkeep price (determined by admin) for all towns daily. Should Towns/Nations run into debt, their Town/Nation status may be removed.

I think maybe we should do this but maybe on a trial basis. We can see how we get on with it and decide whether to keep it after the trial period.

- iConomy shops will be reintroduced to help pay off such items. All users will begin with a determined amount of cash once again.

Same as above.

- War can be waged with 2 nations if they declare war on each other. All towns within that nation become open to PvP and griefing. Points are awarded to nations that destroy another nations town by killing the mayor, or killing ALL mayors withing the nation. This leaves the nation unclaimed which means the opposing nation can expand their nation by claiming it after defeating. Of course with such a small populated server, its not really worth thinking about right now.

I wouldnt like to see this running on a continual basis but it would be useful for events.

- NPCs will be reintroduced to add character to towns.

I'd support this too. I liked having the NPCs in the town before.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ABE

is it possible to assign a pvp only area on the map and the rest pve as u would say.

if so u could have two faction towns that are untouchable by pvp, and have contested areas in the middle which are fought over.

If one side has captured the area they have a certain time limit ( days)to build their defences of the captured area e.g city walls, outposts etc what ever u can build in that time frame, and the attackers have the time to develop attack plans e.g tunnels etc after a certain date that area will become pvp enabled and who ever wins takes the area and repeat.

this kind of keeps the balance of a great capital city for each faction and also area's for battles so the only greifing that would happen would be during the sieges of the contested area

Any update on this?

Seems like nearly everyone is in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

ABE wrote: »
    is it possible to assign a pvp only area on the map and the rest pve as u would say.

Perhaps this would be a better option, assign the left side of the map for enabled, and the right for just pve? Some people would probably cry if their work got obliterated whereas others would revel in the chaos......like me bahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I'd be glad to help out with towny if you still need someone else other than Shim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Why was did yas remove towny? Iconomy is still here like. seems like it would be a lot of fun. That or factions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Farcheal wrote: »
    Why was did yas remove towny? Iconomy is still here like. seems like it would be a lot of fun. That or factions.

The person who designed towny hasn't updated it properly in ages, the plugin is broken AFAIK. Pretty good chance of us adding factions for the next map though.

(Nice necro though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

deconduo wrote: »
    The person who designed towny hasn't updated it properly in ages, the plugin is broken AFAIK. Pretty good chance of us adding factions for the next map though.

(Nice necro though)

Whats the ETA of the next map, i like my tree house but would love to start a fresh map with everybody else (i joined late)

Get to help build the roads , help with lighting etc...

Adding factions could be interesting, change the dynamics of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Whats the ETA of the next map, i like my tree house but would love to start a fresh map with everybody else (i joined late)

Get to help build the roads , help with lighting etc...

Adding factions could be interesting, change the dynamics of the game.

No idea for now. We generally change maps when there's been a significant update. Last one was the addition of jungles and a new height limit. Before that it was the addition of strongholds.

The next big update is supposed to combine single player and SMP into one, and add the new modding API. If this actually happens then theres a pretty big chance we will have a new map for that, though probably not straight away. It will break all current plugins, and the plugin devs will need to rewrite them for the new API.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

ah cool, cheers for the update.Looking forward to that new mod api . Sick of having to mess around with the jar files when i want a new mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement